Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Dorian to hit Atlantic Canada - to go, no go

Thank you all for your input and concerns.

We are still on the fence. Looks like Nova Scotia will be hardest hit with power outages, downed trees, minipinlady gave an accurate description of what they could get. We are not headed there.

DH broke down our trip. It's supposed to hit NS coast overnight. As we leave Saturday, we are not in the path first part of trip. By Sunday we would be approaching PEI. The storm would have passed. We need to cross the Confederation Bridge, and that could be the hitch. They may not let trucks, campers on, but cars would be ok. We are watching the live feed of the bridge and have the app for messages. The latter part of our trip to NB is safe. I think that if Monique is still camping, tonight will be heavy rain and cold.

We will monitor today and decide by suppertime if we go or not, delay or change plans.

Enjoy life and do what makes you happy. Everything else will follow.

Every day I try to do one thing that challenges my comfort zone.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JCY View Post
    Suzanne ~ Back again. Didn't have much time at 6 a.m. I've done some sleuthing re: your weather. I did a weather search for Lunenburg, Nova Scotia. (I didn't remember your exact destination.) There is a hurricane watch until Sat. night, posted by Environment Canada. Heavy rain & high winds are forecast, with the potential for storm surge & flooding. It said to monitor the Canadian Hurricane Centre.

I studied the maps for Nova Scotia, PEI, etc. I think I would not want to be in that area with a hurricane watch & possible bad weather expected.
    Hi Joy - we are not going to Nova Scotia, but our neighbours are next Thursday. Saturday we would be driving from Ottawa along the St-Lawrence south shore to Grand Falls, New Brunswick. Since the storm will hit NS tonight, we would get light rain. From NB it's about a 5 hr drive to the bridge to cross to Prince Edward Island. And this is where there is often delays, if winds are strong, they do not let transports, campers or nervous drivers on. You can hire someone to drive you across the longest bridge. That would be me on a sunny day. I hate bridges, but the ferries are more likely not running.

Thursday we are going to the most southern tip of NB next to the Mane border.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Suzanne it sounds like your husband is determined to do this but you are more iffy. I guess I am a big chicken I would want to stay home. Those high winds scare me bc of the possibility of power lines and trees coming down and blocking roads. If you need to depend on restaurants to eat, what if they are closed? Crossing a bridge with torrential rain and/or high winds sounds dangerous and scary. Best of luck to you if you decide to go ahead. Be careful and drive safe.

4. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    Quilting Royalty

Post Thanks / Like

PEI is a lovely place. Hurricane Juan hit there too. If you have seen the movie "Twister" when it rips up the drive in , that is what happened in PEI, they never rebuilt the drive in. Weathermen are better than they used to be, but even now they can not guarantee where and what will happen. Hopefully PEI is exempt from the storm. I missed reading when you were leaving so yes going now is better than being there as it hits. I have been on the Confederation bridge, it is a very long bridge, lol, not a fan of bridges but it is a very good one. Big enough that a military plane can fly under it. That poor pilot got into a lot of trouble for doing that but I can understand his wanting to be the first to do that there.
    Well I am just home from Fabricland so I have stuff to precut and put away. Take care.

6. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

We are leaving tomorrow morning - we will overnight in New Brunswick. I am more confident about our trip. Then Sunday drive toward PEI. I'm more confident since it will be a good 10 hour drive on first day. If the weather changes path, we will be far away and can wait a day before crossing the bridge. Minipinlady - did you know you can hire someone to drive your car across the bridge.

I also contacted the hotel and they are ready with generators. DH & I are ready with blankets, flashlights, water bottles, snack, wet weather gear we use for sailing. I figure if we bring, we hopefully won't need.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Be safe and have a great time! I hope everything is wonderful and Dorian jets past before you get there.
    Katrina

“Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.”
    ― Maya Angelou

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Suzanne ~ I wish you the best on your trip. Stay safe. Keep us posted on how you are doing. If you see Monique, give her my greetings.

10. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    Quilting Royalty

Post Thanks / Like

No I didn't know you could hire a driver for the bridge, that's excellent. Sounds like you are aware and alert and prepared. Safe travels =)

12. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Will be thinking of you, Suzanne, as well as DH and your friends. Safe Travels and hope it's a wonderful, memory filled trip.
    A day patched with quilting Seldom unravels Sharon

14. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I just was searching the Canadian weather sites & hurricane predictions. Both Nova Scotia & PEI are under hurricane warnings for today into tomorrow. Even parts of New Brunswick showed up in the projected path of Dorian. I hope Suzanne won't be sorry they went anyway. Hoping Monique & Les get out of harm's way. Dorian still is a Cat. 1. Rain, wind, & storm surges are predicted.

16. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post