Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Fabric Fanatic

Post Thanks / Like

Default Babylock Crescendo? Or which machine?

I am ready to trade up my sewing machine (current one $150 Brother, falling apart) and invest in a nice one that will last a long time, and absolutely love the Babylock Crescendo. I see online that most people are getting theirs for around $3500, which is doable. The machine has been on the market a few years and I didn't really expect to pay full price. But I've called every Babylock dealer in my state and the standard price is $4800...and they do not ever have used ones in the store, apparently. No luck on Craigslist and eBay. I have heard that you can sometimes get a good deal at a quilt show, but isn't there a stampede for these just-used-for-the-show machines? Besides, no quilt show nearby for the next 6 months.

So I'm looking for a machine with: an 11" throat space, automatic thread cutter, a nice selection of stitches (including letters), and I'd love that laser for doing half square triangles. Do any other machines in the $3500 range or less fit the bill? Can the laser be bought separately and just attached? OR should I just bite the bullet and fork over the $4800 for the Crescendo (i.e. is it so amazing that it's WORTH that much)? I'd love some opinions. I do both quilting and garment sewing. Thanks so much!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Babylock Crescendo? Or which machine?

Gonna be honest, I am a HUGE FAN of BabyLock! I do not own the Crescendo, but do have the Ellisimo and the Destiny. IMO you will never be sorry for your decision to purchase this Crescendo. Try to type in BabyLock Crescendo on Etsy or Ebay and see what you find. Watching to see what others say. I have always been sew happy to be a BabyLock owner. I have several of BL machines.
    A day patched with quilting Seldom unravels Sharon

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I have the Baby Lock Aria and it is wonderful. I wish I had spent a little more and purchased the one with the laser but I spent all I had. I absolutely love my Aria. I traded up from a $140 Brother and what a difference! I love, love, LOVE my Aria! It has a large throat, self-threader, automatic thread cutter, warning when you are about to run out of thread in your bobbin, more stitches that I will ever use, etc. Hopefully the store you buy it from will have classes on the machine that are free because there is so much you can do with it!

Jeannette

4. Thanks cv quilter thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I have the crescendo , I am very happy with it, I paid $5000for mine probably 5 years ago. I use the laser light a lot for sewing half square triangles. I think it is very heavy I only have tanken to a couple of day sewing things, honestly I won't to it again because of the weight and size. But I am happy I have it, I debated a long time about spending that much, but not sorry I did. The dealer had a same as cash with 18 month payments deal at that time, and I did that. Good luck in your decision!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I have the Aria and totally am in love with it. I only paid $3000 about two years ago. It was one that was used on the cruise I was on, so that is why a bit cheaper. But I do know in Florida they are not selling over $4000 dollars so $4800 seems a bit over priced. Check with Flash and Sew in Naples, Florida. I believe they ship as well.
    Karen
    Life is short - live it up while you can

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I have been a Brother/Babylock owner for years.....When I upgraded in 2017; I entered every sewing machine dealer store in my area at the time (Springfield, MO) and tested the machines that had the requirements I wanted. Such as, large throat space, how many stitches per inch. I didn't want anything high tech or digital and I wanted a machine that I could easily learn to free motion quilt with.

That being said....decide what is important to you regarding the upgrade of sewing machine you want. It just so happened, that the Babylock dealer was running a great promotion (warehouse sale) in March of 2017. After testing Bernina, Elna, Brother, Juki, and Bablylock; compared all the prices and performances....my choice was a Babylock Jazz. I acquired the sale price of $699.00 and they also threw in the glass table. I did have to buy the walking foot ($60.00), but I feel I got a great deal.

The initial Jazz has the 12 inch throat and nothing fancy, but is a workhorse! The Jazz fits my needs perfectly!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20170305_101852 (800x513).jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	43.0 KB 
ID:	160545
    Sherri

"Don't let someone else's ugly spoil your beautiful. " Thanks, Bubby!!!!!!

Fabric Fanatic

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for these tips! The Crescendo does have the features I want and sounds like it's a good investment. I will just need to keep my eyes peeled.