Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: MY SEWING CABINETS.....

Quote Originally Posted by BethB View Post
    While packing for moving out of my house and putting most items into either storage, to the auction or trash, I went through a lot of my stash and sorted out what I didn't like any more, what I have never used, etc. and donated to my quilt guild's comfort quilts. The rest is in storage, except for some that I need for various projects I need to complete over the next three months. I will need some good ideas for storage in my new room when I move permanently.

Barb, your cabinets are beautiful. Where did you get them?

Nancy
    The cabinets are from Lowe's. You have to assemble them yourself. Each cabinet has a wide side and a narrow side. I have three cabinets sitting side by side. You can also buy drawers and add them for $20 each. These are designed to be wardrobe cabinets but they are perfect for fabric storage. I love having my fabric behind doors. I have had mine for about 5 years but just last weekend we noticed that Lowe's still carries them. I would buy them again in a heartbeat.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I have two tubs of Walmart fabric that was bought when they stopped carrying fabric at one store at a real cheap price. Lesson learned its no bargain if you don't use it. This was bought before we discovered MSQ. It was taking up storage space so I offered it to my daughter about a year ago. She still hasn't got it so I moved it to the garage. I am not sure what to do with it.

Your cabinets look so nice and organized! You can see what you have. Love it!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Barb ~ Your organized stash looks great! My stash is organized mostly in plastic drawer units & plastic containers. (See my Sewing Room album.) I also have some fabric in a wooden dresser which has 4 drawers. I use a lot of the shoe box size plastic containers for specific projects. Oh my, you have a lot more JRs than I do. Generally my fabric is organized by color and/or theme. I have batiks in one, Kaffe Fassett in another, babies/children, patriotic, Christmas, floral, etc. My finished tops waiting to be sandwiched & quilted are hanging on hangers in the closet. My cones of thread also are in plastic drawer units. I need to do a bit of straightening up & organizing, too, but I can live with things the way they are. I have too many quilt trimmings that need to have the fabric removed, but I seldom get to them. It's always on to some new project or completing a UFO.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Barb, your sewing storage space is beautiful. I love the way you have organized yours. Your use of space is beautiful and efficient. LUCKY you to have. Your space rocks.

I have just recently had my DH build me new floor to ceiling shelving units and a 5 x 5 foot cutting table with 5 storage cubbies underneath. I was able to get rid of many unneeded items from my sewing space and better organize what I have left. I am loving my space. My fabrics are in various sized plastic bins, but I am tickled with what I have now, as opposed to what I had before. My sewing space is our attached two car garage, which shares some household storage needed space (we have a very small 1240 SQ home and have NO storage space available). I feel blessed to have this much space ALMOST all my own.

I love your beautiful space and your use of the space you have. I am ALWAYS looking for more efficient ways to use the space I have available.
    A day patched with quilting Seldom unravels Sharon

Applique Angel

Post Thanks / Like

I have those same cabinets, Barb! Except one set is full of scrapbooking supplies, and the other stores yarn and cross stitch items. My fabric is mostly in the closet that my DH built shelves into. I have some tubs with fabric stored on top of the white cabinets.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Mine is a very different type of organization. All the fabric is categorized on excel spreadsheets. One is the master that lists everything. Then it is subdivided down into more specifics from specific projects to layer cakes, jelly rolls, etc. On the subdivided pages, it tells which tote that it is in. Also anything specific either for the children or things for my mother are in their totes to be able to find them easily. I have a specific tote for fat quarters and one for jelly rolls. Also current projects are listed in my Quilter's Planner so I know which projects are in progress.

The goal that I have set for next year is to try to work the stash down which on some will require backing fabrics. I use to buy everything at once but no longer do that as I don't know what I might decide to do with a specific pre-cut or change my mind when I see a new pattern that I really like.