• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • KPH
    Missouri Star
    • Feb 2015

Dorian Check In

Alrighty, I'll start a thread for those of us that have been in Dorian's path.

He was parallel to Jacksonville around 2, and still moving away. We've had off and on rains and some wind but not much of anything else. Those closer to the coast are having more difficulties with water levels. He did arrive around high tide. It's more or less a drizzle here now. JEA had about 1,000 without power and have pretty much stayed ahead of the need.

Others from FL, how are you all making out with Dorian?
    Katrina
    From NC, retired in FL
    “Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.” Maya Angelou
  • KarenC
    Missouri Star
    • Apr 2015

Re: Dorian Check In

Thanks for the update Katrina.
    Karen
    Spring, TX

Comment

• Caroline T.
      Missouri Star
      • Jun 2016

Thank you Katrina for the update. So happy to hear that you are safe.

I have family all along the East Coast, as far south as Ft. Lauderdale, and as far North as Virginia Beach, so I welcome any updates from those who are in (or were in) Dorian's path.

Comment

• URIBARRI-MAYOR
        Missouri Star
        • Nov 2013

I am glad to hear that Doriam has passed near you like a normal storm, thanks for the update

Comment

• SuzanneOrleansOntario
          Missouri Star
          • Aug 2015

Thanks for update. Still watching how it will affect the Maritimes. I haven't heard from Monique, but we are on our way there on Saturday, and hoping that it's not a rainy drive all the way.

They say it will bring strong winds and cooler temps, so hard to plan what to pack.
          Enjoy life and do what makes you happy. Everything else will follow.

Comment

• Kgrammiecaz
            Missouri Star
            • May 2013

Still adding prayers for all those dealing with the rain and winds. My daughter back home in Orlando said they just had off and on rain with some crazy winds, but nothing much more than the normal Florida weather. I leave Jersey Saturday so dont think any of the weather will affect my flight

Stay safe all.
            Karen
            Life is short - Live everyday to the fullest

Comment

• Judy, USMC
              Missouri Star
              • May 2013

I'm in Jacksonville, NC (35 miles north of Wilmington and 30 miles south of New Bern.) They project things will be starting late tonight and continue all day tomorrow. Possible landfall projected to be the Outer Banks Friday morning. Just upgraded winds to 115 mph and now is a Category 3! Barrier islands have ordered evacuations.

I've been here over 35 years and this has been the longest preparation period I can remember. Right now it's curving towards NC at 7 miles per hour. Not expected to do as much property damage as Florence did one year ago - basically because most of the homes that had major roof damage have been repaired. 5-12 inches of rain expected, 4 - 7 foot storm surge.

Will check in when I can ... but we do have a scheduled power outage ... will be on generator power starting Friday (fingers crossed.)

Comment

• Nwmnteacher
                Missouri Star
                • Mar 2014

Thanks for the info, Judy. My son is stationed near New Bern. He and his family live in base housing.

Comment

• Judy, USMC
                  Missouri Star
                  • May 2013

Originally posted by Nwmnteacher View Post
                  Thanks for the info, Judy. My son is stationed near New Bern. He and his family live in base housing.
                  PM'ed you. 10pm here in Jacksonville, NC. Electric & water still on. Eye wall still a couple of hours south but not fully organized. Wind & water damage seems to be located at the barrier islands and some coastal cities. Expecting the most intense weather here midnight to 2 am.

As of this time, it appears Tornados - both coastal and inland - earlier today has caused most of the electric outage and structural damages. May change as it passes North Carolina.

Comment

• Navy Wife
                    Missouri Star
                    • Dec 2013

Glad to hear all is well so far. Storms do not behave the way they used to, so you never know what to expect. Keep us posted as the storm moves north.

Comment

• KPH
                      Missouri Star
                      • Feb 2015

Just watched the weather, the NC barrier islands are taking a beating! I can't wait to hear from my uncle in Elizabeth City. I called him and left a message after Dorian passed by here. There's a creek/ swamp across the street from his house. It took years to get an exit out of the neighborhood that didn't have to cross over that creek. So he can get out. Here's hoping he's at my cousin's house!
                      Katrina
                      From NC, retired in FL
                      “Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.” Maya Angelou

Comment

• Judy, USMC
                        Missouri Star
                        • May 2013

Barrier islands were ordered evacuated by the governor but approx. 800 opted to stay. Storm surge added another 7 ft to already high water levels forcing some into their second floors or attics. It went down almost as quickly as it rose. 4 helo's bringing in supplies and medevac-ing people during daylight hours.

Elizabeth City had some structural damage (expecially to mobile homes and sheds.) Water again rose in areas that typically see flooding.

Reportedly there is damage in oceanfront communities but not to the extent seen during Florence last year. Dorian traveled from South to North with no mainland landfall. Florence came from the East to the West and had terrible impact once landfall was made. So far 4 deaths reported ... most happened during hurricane preps. Can update as more info becomes avail - if anyone interested send me a pm.

Comment

• bubba
                          Missouri Star
                          • Mar 2013

Originally posted by Judy, USMC View Post
                          Barrier islands were ordered evacuated by the governor but approx. 800 opted to stay. Storm surge added another 7 ft to already high water levels forcing some into their second floors or attics. It went down almost as quickly as it rose. 4 helo's bringing in supplies and medevac-ing people during daylight hours.
                          I sincerely hope that those people who chose not to follow evacuation orders are being charged for their rescues! There is no excuse for stupidity and putting others lives at risk to rescue you.
                          pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

sigpic

If you can't be nice.....BE QUIET!

Comment

• Caroline T.
                            Missouri Star
                            • Jun 2016

Bubba, as a former Florida resident who went thru plenty of hurricane's (only once did we have to evacuate) I can tell you that if it's a mandatory evacuation and you don't leave...the police, fire department, or sheriff's department in my hometown knocked on doors before the storm hit, took down the names, d.o.b., etc of those staying put, and asked for the contact of next of kin (to notify them in the case of death). Then ALL emergency personnel left the area. There is no rescuing during the storm. If you chose to stay under a "mandatory" evacuation, you were on your own.

Comment

• LauraP
                              Missouri Star
                              • Dec 2015

I agree they should have to pay and if anyone is hurt trying to rescue them, the homeowner should be charged with attempted murder. There is no excuse for putting anyone else in harm's way just because you are to stupid to listen to the rules.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X