Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dorian Check In

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Dorian Check In

Just watched the weather, the NC barrier islands are taking a beating! I can't wait to hear from my uncle in Elizabeth City. I called him and left a message after Dorian passed by here. There's a creek/ swamp across the street from his house. It took years to get an exit out of the neighborhood that didn't have to cross over that creek. So he can get out. Here's hoping he's at my cousin's house!
    Katrina

“Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.”
    ― Maya Angelou

2. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Barrier islands were ordered evacuated by the governor but approx. 800 opted to stay. Storm surge added another 7 ft to already high water levels forcing some into their second floors or attics. It went down almost as quickly as it rose. 4 helo's bringing in supplies and medevac-ing people during daylight hours.

Elizabeth City had some structural damage (expecially to mobile homes and sheds.) Water again rose in areas that typically see flooding.

Reportedly there is damage in oceanfront communities but not to the extent seen during Florence last year. Dorian traveled from South to North with no mainland landfall. Florence came from the East to the West and had terrible impact once landfall was made. So far 4 deaths reported ... most happened during hurricane preps. Can update as more info becomes avail - if anyone interested send me a pm.

4. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Judy, USMC View Post
    Barrier islands were ordered evacuated by the governor but approx. 800 opted to stay. Storm surge added another 7 ft to already high water levels forcing some into their second floors or attics. It went down almost as quickly as it rose. 4 helo's bringing in supplies and medevac-ing people during daylight hours.
    I sincerely hope that those people who chose not to follow evacuation orders are being charged for their rescues! There is no excuse for stupidity and putting others lives at risk to rescue you.
    pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

6. Thanks MSN thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Bubba, as a former Florida resident who went thru plenty of hurricane's (only once did we have to evacuate) I can tell you that if it's a mandatory evacuation and you don't leave...the police, fire department, or sheriff's department in my hometown knocked on doors before the storm hit, took down the names, d.o.b., etc of those staying put, and asked for the contact of next of kin (to notify them in the case of death). Then ALL emergency personnel left the area. There is no rescuing during the storm. If you chose to stay under a "mandatory" evacuation, you were on your own.

8. Thanks bubba thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I agree they should have to pay and if anyone is hurt trying to rescue them, the homeowner should be charged with attempted murder. There is no excuse for putting anyone else in harm's way just because you are to stupid to listen to the rules.
    ATTITUDE IS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN AN ORDEAL AND AN ADVENTURE

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

My oldest son is in basic training in Fort Jackson SC. He called me yesterday and said they are safe. So happy they let them all have 5 mins to call home!

11. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario, Claire Hallman thanked for this post