Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Hybrid View

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Large Applique? Fuze your pieces right on your design wall

Here is a really clever idea I haven't seen before. If you have a design wall that can take the heat (like foam board) use a light colored background fabric you can see through, and fuze your applique pieces right on the wall

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0S9B...eid=92e0491b1f
    Stash Treasure Acquisitions Beyond Life Expectancy. My stash keeps me STABLE, oh yeah.... and dark chocolate.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Large Applique? Fuze your pieces right on your design wall

Yikes, I couldn't follow it....not sure what I was seeing. Denise, you are quick enough and talented enough, I feel sure you are able to follow it.
    A day patched with quilting Seldom unravels Sharon

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I don't understand....
    pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Normally when you do a applique you use a light table to shine through the pattern and fuze the pieces in place. Light tables aren't very big so you have to keep moving the pattern around to do each section one section at a time. Also unless so buy a very expensive light table they cant take the heat of fuzing. So you have to cautiously tack each section down on the light table, then move it to the ironing surface to do a full fuze, then move back to the light table to tack down the next section. With a large pattern like the one shown in the video it can takes you hours.

Sharon is demonstrating that you can do the fuzing right on your design wall. You need to have a design wall that can take the heat like one made out of foam insulation board. You take the pattern, make sure the lines are nice and bold (go over them with a sharpie if necessary) . Pin the pattern to your design wall. Pin your background fabric over the pattern on the design wall. Shine a light on the design wall if necessary to see the pattern lines. Then fuze the pieces in place on the design wall. I imagine you could use some no melt pins to hold the pieces temporarily in place.

Its a pretty slick idea I haven't seen before.
    Stash Treasure Acquisitions Beyond Life Expectancy. My stash keeps me STABLE, oh yeah.... and dark chocolate.

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

if you slow down the speed of the video to .25, you can see the iron being used on the wall. This in a a great idea. Thx.
    Diana Grey

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Got it! Once I slowed the play speed down, it was definitely easier to watch and understand. Yes, a very clever idea.
    A day patched with quilting Seldom unravels Sharon

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I am not a fan of these sped up videos. But... her idea and technique are worth noting. You can go into setting and slow the speed down and see for yourself what you think.
    Courage is being scared to death, and saddling up anyway. ~John Wayne

Quilting is my passion . . . chocolate is a close second!