Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Thread: opinions please

Block Queen

Post Thanks / Like

Default opinions please

In your opinion: 1) what brand of cotton thread produces the least amount of lint and 2) is polyester or cotton thread your preference for quilting (not piecing)
    TIA

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: opinions please

Hi

I prefer Isacord thread for my quilting. It is a polyester thread and I have had the least hassle when fmq with this thread.

hope this helps.

God, Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
    The stash to make a quilt to help me cope,
    A quilt to give to comfort those I love in times of hurt, fear and uncertainty.
    And the courage to keep on sewing when life itself seems held together by a single thread of hope.

Block Queen

Post Thanks / Like

I've tried a few cotton threads and found that Aurifil is the least linty. I've never tried Poly thread for quilting but I'm anticipating trying it this winter on a new project.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I use Connecting Threads cotton to piece. On my machine, it doesn't produce too much lint. Most cotton threads I have used produce lint. I think it's their nature. I am OCD about cleaning my machines I was taught this when I bought my serger and Husky, and told I would not need much servicing. They are correct. When I do bring them in every 4-5 years, they say they are not very dirty.

I sometimes use polyester, definetly to attach the binding and to handsew it. It's stronger. I use Coats or CT, whatever I have in e colour that matches best.

Enjoy life and do what makes you happy. Everything else will follow.

Every day I try to do one thing that challenges my comfort zone.

Machine Stitcher

Post Thanks / Like

I use and love Aurifil 50 wt. for piecing; Isacord for quilting - both longarm and domestic.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I have been using random mostly cotton thread to piece but really like Masterpiece and love bottomline for bobbins on all my machines. I have also used lots of different poly thread for the actual fmq but seem to like Glide best.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Aurifil produces the least amount of lint of the cotton threads I have tried on my machine. I used to get it on sale at Craftsy but since they became Bluprint I haven't received any notices of sales.

Jeannette

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I am a thread snob and only use Aurifil.
    pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I have no idea which threads create the least lint. I know polyester creates less. For many years, I've been using 50 wt. RA cotton thread for piecing; I buy the large cones at my LQS. Of recent months, for FMQ I've been using Glide thread, which is a trilobal polyester thread, 40 wt. No lint. I think you probably could learn a lot about thread from the Superior web site.

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

I am really enjoying M* cotton thread for both piecing and walking foot quilting. It does produce some lint, but not much. I like the feel of it.