• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JCY
    Missouri Star
    • Jul 2013

Labor Day Greetings! :)

Good Monday Morning to all ~ I suppose it's not a good morning to those of you in the path of Hurricane Dorian. Hoping for the best for all of you on the east coast. Keep us posted on how you are.

HOT is the word for our Colorado weather! Our therm. read 104 yest.! So hot! And it's supposed to be just as hot today; maybe 80's later in the week. The high temp. yest. broke the record in many places. The news last eve. said Aug. tied the record for 3rd as the hottest high temps.

Yest. a.m. was church. I came right home. In the afternoon I finally did some sewing. I've had these quilt pieces laid out on the floor for days, but I've been too busy to sew them together. Got it done yest. I made another top out of Tula Pink's Pinkerville fabrics. I used the left over HSTs from the previous quilt & inter-spaced them with rail fence blocks.

Exactly 51 yrs. ago on this day I was showing hints of impending birth. DS#2 was born the next day on the 3rd. We're getting together today for lunch. I plan to head out to another furniture store this a.m. to see if I can find a recliner; they're having a sale.
  • Rhonda K
    Missouri Star
    • Jan 2017

Re: Labor Day Greetings!

Good morning to all!

No stitching here today. The sewing machines and serger are packed away for now. We are still good with a few small showers coming in. Best wishes to others watching the storm and doing their preparations.
    Just one more stitch...

Comment

• MAMSAN
      Quilting Guru
      • Jul 2019

Originally posted by Rhonda K View Post
      Good morning to all!

No stitching here today. The sewing machines and serger are packed away for now. We are still good with a few small showers coming in. Best wishes to others watching the storm and doing their preparations.
      Same here. Packed it all up days ago in anticipation...when the storm track was headed more westerly.. Prayers for all in Fla & along the east coast of US. Kathy

Comment

• JulieC
        Missouri Star
        • Dec 2016

Good Morning, Joy and all who follow! Adding my wishes for the safety of everyone in the path of Dorian.

It is starting off a little humid today. We had rain yesterday. We will have a warm day (for us) tomorrow -- low 80's -- then temps in the upper 60's, low 70's for the rest of the week.

Mom had a rough day on Saturday -- she a delusion that prompted a panic attack. She has been getting progressively worse, and frequently does not remember my sister who is her primary caregiver. I had a nice chat with a counselor from the Alzheimer's Association; it is time to research care facilities. I had hoped to keep her home, but she is getting to be more than my sister can handle. Here is hoping I can find a good facility nearby.

Today will be a cooking day -- every once in a while, I go on a cooking binge and make a bunch of stuff for the freezer. I am trying a new recipe for a pork loin, it has been brining/marinading since last night. I will also be making a pot roast and some creamed chicken. Creamed chicken is one of my sister's favorites. Family dinner night is tomorrow, and it's my turn...I think we could both use some comfort food. Now I need to figure out what to take for Mom; she does not eat poultry.

Have a great day!

Comment

• SuzanneOrleansOntario
          Missouri Star
          • Aug 2015

Good morning everyone,

It's overcast and we'll be getting rain later today. Yesterday was a beautiful day. We had brunch with mom, my kids and GKs. She was looking pretty tired and said this would probably be her last birthday. She's been saying that for the past 20+ years. I think she was especially sad as she said that my dad would have loved to meet his great grandkids. He loved his GKs and all little ones. After lunch, we stayed a short time and brought her back to her room.

It's time for the DH's Fall quilt. I've got the first load of bedding and quilt in the laundry. I need to pay some bills and run the vaccum quickly. Sox got a brushing yesterday and he's been shaking off hairs everywhere. I found more tiny chards of broken glass from the dish I broke last week. Maybe I will get to sorting some of the donated tops and get them to Dorothy. I counted 14. They have a bit of a musty smell, but nothing remains after they are washed. Dorothy has a clothesline so she might hang them before they get quilted.

My thoughts and prayers go out to everyone in Dorian's path. Katrina, happy to hear you are not in evacuation zones and getting as ready as possible. I guess hand projects are in order to keep busy. RhondaK and others. Be safe. It looks like Dorian is moving slow, and may hits the Marimes by next weekend. Monique - i guess you are prepared and used to possibility of rain/winds. Be safe and take cover. I'm planning on bringing wet weather gear.

Joy - good luck finding that 'perfect' recliner. We got ours this winter and love them. I probably enjoy it too much, but I'm not sore if I sit and sew binding. I guess it's good that your son is visiting and getting away from the east coast.

Stay cool. Stay dry. Be safe.
          Enjoy life and do what makes you happy. Everything else will follow.

Comment

• KPH
            Missouri Star
            • Feb 2015

Good Morning All,

We're expecting showers off and on today. Typical FL weather, we just had a 5 minute shower a few minutes ago. The sun is shining so it's probably sticky.

Mike and I are going to go down the fence lines and tighten up loose boards on the neighbors' fences this morning. Zone A and B are under mandatory evacuations this morning. I was notified by phone, tablet and email all three!

Have you ever heard of King Tides? I've never heard of such! Morgan's Mom, whose lived here for ages had never heard of it either. Apparently the tides are even higher because of the lunar cycle.

I'm thinking I'll make Morgan a throw with one of the extra layer cakes from Lexie's quilt. Nothing too complex and probably use cuddle for the backing. We'll see.

Mike's up I guess we'll get busy! Have a great day!
            Katrina
            From NC, retired in FL
            “Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.” Maya Angelou

Comment

• dwil23
              Missouri Star
              • May 2012

Happy Labor Day to all!

27 years ago today I gave birth to my youngest daughter. So hard to believe how time flies. She was born on 09-02-92. At 9:17 a.m. I always tease her that she was 15 minutes late! (Actually her due date was August 23rd - as Hurricane Andrew was bearing down on South Florida.) Everyone was sure I was going to go into labor because of the barometric pressure dropping - now they believe that to be an old wives tale. I went to work as usual that night and for at least a week afterward. In fact, the last two nights I worked before being on M-leave were my scheduled days off. She didn't want to make any plans this week, so will probably celebrate later.

Hoping and praying Dorian continues to move easterly .
              Donna

Comment

• chelea
                Missouri Star
                • Mar 2012

Good morning all. Thinking of you Katrina, and everyone in the storm's path as I watch the weather channel for updates.
                Seems I've finally emerged from my non-sewing funk. I've completed 10 Secret Santa gifts and the other 2 are nearing completion. I worked on a UFO. Blocks together and one border on and I need to find someting for the last border, binding and backing. My LQS has a huge bargain hunter section so I always find good backing fabrics there.
                2 of my machines are in the shop. My main machine was skipping stitches and all my troubleshooting wasn't solving the problem. Besides, I had broken the auto threader and it hadn't had any maintenance for 2 years, so it was time for a check-up anyway. Then the plug broke on my travel machine so that went for a fix as well. So I've pulled out my Kenmore, 50 years old this year, and it's been fun sewing on this tank of a machine. It was my very first machine, got it when I was 15 years old. Maybe that's what started the sewing spree, just having a different machine to work on.
                Today is our 40th wedding anniversary. We had a busy summer with a family vaca and son's wedding, so we're not planning any big celebration. We had dinner with the kids yesterday. So it's a typical Monday around here, some housework, laundry, a trip to Joanne for some template plastic and then some sewing.
                Hope you're enjoying the last weeks of summer and have a great Labor Day. Prayers for all those in the path of the storm.
                Michele
                ~The Commonwealth of Massachusetts~
                To the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world ~Dr Seuss

Comment

• Claire Hallman
                  Missouri Star
                  • Jun 2011

Hope Dorian doesn't wreak havoc to Florida and the east coast, please stay safe.
                  I don't have anything going on today, still waiting on batting delivery to sandwich my DGD queen quilt. I have been shifting it from one place to another so I can work on drapery panels for DGS one window. I have one panel done and the other ready to sew the side hems but hand sewing on sunbrella is murder on my fingers. I was glad to be able to do the top and bottom hems on the machine. I hope to get it done so I can install the grommets later today.
                  I want to start something new but don't have the space with the other projects laying everywhere.
                  Claire from Pelham, Alabama

Comment

• ncgrammie
                    The Guild President
                    • Jun 2011

Julie, my prayers are for you and your search for a care facility. Finding a facility for my mom was the most difficult thing I had to do. I did find a great one in Poland, Ohio not far from where my parents lived so family could take Dad there to visit her daily. He wasn't able to make decisions for her so that was my job. I wish you the best in your search.
                    Theda :icon_wave:

There is no Quilter's Anonymous because no one wants to quit

Comment

• Dollyquilts
                      The Guild President
                      • Jan 2014

Joy, Do a Google for Relax the Back. I dont know if there's one near you and they are pricey, but they have a recliner called the perfect chair. you can order it to size for petite through tall. ive had mine for several years and I dont regret spending the money.

Comment

• JCY
                        Missouri Star
                        • Jul 2013

Hi, Dollyquilts ~ I checked the Relax the Back web page. Too pricey for my budget. I didn't see anything there that interested me. I want an upholstered recliner, not leather or any of those other coverings. But thanks anyway for the tip.

Comment

Working...
                        X