Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shiny Thimble

Post Thanks / Like

Default Charms on point expanded

I have made the Charms on Point square quilt twice and love the pattern. I have a request to make one for a friend but she wants a rectangle. Is this possible? and how? Thanks!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Charms on point expanded

If you watch the tutorial at the 6 minute mark, she says it's based on halves.

Jenny's quilt is 6x12 then you make your first cut on the 6th block down to the corner and repeat going the other way.

I think if you want it bigger, you could do 7X14, 8X16, etc. I just have no idea how much bigger each additional row of blocks would make the quilt.

Math Wizards, maybe you can figure the formula for this quilt!
    Katrina

“Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.”
    ― Maya Angelou

3. Thanks Peggy910 thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Doing it Jenny's way will always yield a square, even adding blocks as Katrina said. I would say the only option would be to build a square the size you want the length to be and trim down the side edge to make it a rectangle, or build it in diagonal rows on point in the traditional way. All the edges are cut triangles in Jenny's method, I don't see how you could add to it to make it longer than it is wide. But, hey, I'm open to more ideas! Let's think this one through!

5. Thanks Peggy910 thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Or you could do it the hard way, and lay the charms out on point and put in set in triangles.
    Katrina

“Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.”
    ― Maya Angelou

7. Thanks dwil23, Claire Hallman thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I am making this larger by making two squares - 8 x 8. Like others said, It will still be square. Probably the easiest way to make a rectangle is to put wider borders on two sides.

To figure out the finished size it takes a bit of algebra:

using 8 x 8 as my example and assuming 4-1/2" finished squares

(8 x 4.5 = 36)
    36 x 36 = 1296
    use the formula:
    a(2) + b(2) = c(2)
    1296 + 1296 = 2592
    square root of 2592 = 50.91

note - (2) means "squared" not times 2

50.91 (51") is the approx diagonal measurement of an 8 x 8 layout of charms, therefore would be the measurement of each side of the quilt. Remember you must make two 8 x 8 squares. Cut each diagonally and alternate the triangles. I have found it is best to separate your charms into two groups, trying not to use the same prints in the two different groups so that two of the same fabrics don't end up next to each other. Also consider the corners that will end up next to each other in the center and finished corners of the quilt so that the fabrics contrast. Hope that makes sense!
    Last edited by dwil23; August 31st, 2019 at 10:10 PM.
    Donna

Batting Beauty

Post Thanks / Like

A friend did a pattern where it turns out to be a rectangle. Starts as a square- 2 cuts and sew it back together= rectangle.

Here's a pattern- https://www.freequiltpatterns.info/f...aural-lane.htm
    You gots to risk it to gets the biscuit-

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by oldmanquilts View Post
    A friend did a pattern where it turns out to be a rectangle. Starts as a square- 2 cuts and sew it back together= rectangle.

Here's a pattern- https://www.freequiltpatterns.info/f...aural-lane.htm

I can't open the link on this computer, but have been playing around with paper and I see how that can be done! Cut the large square diagonally, then cut one of the resulting triangles in half and add to each side of the other triangle. Cool! Thanks for sharing the site - lots of patterns!

sigh - the list grows longer.....
    Donna

11. Thanks LisaInOhio thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dwil23 View Post
    I can't open the link on this computer, but have been playing around with paper and I see how that can be done! Cut the large square diagonally, then cut one of the resulting triangles in half and add to each side of the other triangle. Cool! Thanks for sharing the site - lots of patterns!

sigh - the list grows longer.....

On my own computer and it appears the link to download the pattern no longer exists. :-(

Looking at their picture, though, I don't see how it is done, unless you make two more cuts and remove some excess. Has anyone else been able to see the pattern? The paper mockup I did seemed to be long and narrow, but it wasn't to scale. Now I'm confused....
    Donna

Shiny Thimble

Post Thanks / Like

That's exactly what I'm looking for. This size is perfect......but I can't get the download. Any suggestions?

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

The link below will take you to a blog that shows how charms squares were sewn, then cut and resewn twice to create a rectangular quilt with the charm squares on point. It includes photos for visual learners (like me!) I hope this helps.
    http://piecefullife-elizabeth.blogspot.com/2010/09/turning-charms-on-point.html#.XWv5p3t7nIU
    *~* Myrna *~*
    *~* Quilters lead pieceful lives *~*

15. Thanks Old Newbie, dwil23 thanked for this post