Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Thread: Re-Quilting

Shiny Thimble

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re-Quilting

I found a quilt I was working on and I want to finish it. I do not like the way the quilting looks so I took it apart. I was wondering if I can wash the top and back of the quilt before I start re-quilting it?
    Thanks

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Re-Quilting

I would not wash either the top or back. Depending on its condition, the seams could pull apart.

If you feel you need to soak it and wring by hand.

Enjoy life and do what makes you happy. Everything else will follow.

Every day I try to do one thing that challenges my comfort zone.

Missouri Star

Along the Illinois river-Central Illinois
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't recommend washing either. Not even hand wash since the fabric will shrink a bit no matter how careful you are. The batting is what shrinks the most so no getting it wet, either.

I think a light ironing/pressing movements over it would help straighten really wrinkled areas, but hold off on the steam - may cause shrinkage and "set" in some stains. Be patient and wait til you requilted and finished binding it. You will so happy you did.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I would also advise waiting till after you re- quilt it. Then when you wash it and press it usually the previous holes from the prior quilting stitches will close up.
    Nobody is going to stand up at your funeral and say she had a really expensive sofa and great shoes Life is not about stuff.

Visit my Flickr page, sewing and cakes!
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/90704986@N07/

www.pinterest.com/cathyfiebe/boards

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Please wait to was until after it is re-quilted. Speaking from experience. You would likely have seams that need repairing if you do it before.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I hope you took a picture and will post before and after photos! I have picked out machine quilting before and it is a monster of a job. I agree with the others, not to wash until do over is done.

Designer Diva

Post Thanks / Like

Scary, scary thing to do!!!

I have actually skinned a large quilt and re-quilted it. The skinning process is not for the faint hearted and good heavens, it took me hours and hours to do but I wasn't brave enough to wash it once it was done. I wouldn't contemplate it. The one I did turned out fine without washing...I may have pressed....not ironed....some sections to get them to settle back into shape before I re-basted but that was all.
    Last edited by just4me; September 1st, 2019 at 07:05 AM.