• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Glizell
    Honey Bun
    • Oct 2017

MSQC Thread in Juki 2010Q

Just got a Juki 2010Q! Yay!

I threaded it up using a cone of 50 wt MSQC cotton thread. Could NOT get the tension right no matter what. Then I switched to Aurifil, turned the tension waaay down and voila!

Any other Juki 2010 users out there who have had issues with tension in general or with MSQC thread in particular?

Gail
  • The_Last_Unicorn
    Batting Beauty
    • May 2016

Re: MSQC Thread in Juki 2010Q

I have the same machine. I haven't used MSQC's cotton thread with it yet, but when I FMQed with Superior So Fine, I had to thread the machine in the alternative way described in the manual for slippery or fine threads. Look at page 17 of the Juki 2010 manual and you'll see an illustration for a different way to guide the thread through the thread path.

Something else I have to do with certain thread cones is use a thread sock to keep a bunch of slippery thread from popping off the cone faster than the machine can feed it through.

Comment

• Glizell
      Honey Bun
      • Oct 2017

Thanks! Will try the alternate thread path

Comment

• K. McEuen
        Super Moderator
        Missouri Star
        • Jan 2011

If I am correct Aurifil is 40 weight, pretty much the normal weight for piecing thread. 50 weight is lighter so the alternate threading method should help with it
        K is for Karen 😊​ Albuquerque, NM..................
        Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.

Before you speak,
        T - is it TRUE?
        H - is it HELPFUL?
        I - is it INSPIRING?
        N - is it NECESSARY?
        K - is it KIND?

Comment

• Glizell
          Honey Bun
          • Oct 2017

Originally posted by K. McEuen View Post
          If I am correct Aurifil is 40 weight, pretty much the normal weight for piecing thread. 50 weight is lighter so the alternate threading method should help with it
          Thanks! My Aurifil is all 50 wt, but it does come in 40 wt too.

Comment

• Sharyn J
            Missouri Star
            • Oct 2012

I have a 2010Q and normally use Aurifil 50 wt with BottomLine in the bobbin. That requires a small tension adjustment on my machine, usually the top tension dial for the Aurifil and a tiny adjustment to tighten the bobbin for the Bottomline thread which is 60wt

I also use the MSQ 100% cotton thread for the microwave cozy bowls. This thread is also 50wt but requires slight tension adjustments too and slightly different than the above.

When I first started using Aurifil, none of my machines liked it. I was so frustrated. So I took the time to sit and play with each machine until I got a nice stitch. It took me an hour and a half for my Bernina, less for the Pfaff and the Juki. I wrote down the settings in a little notebook. Don't need the notes for the Juki anymore because I use it everyday, but I wouldn't hesitate to refer to it for the other machines.

So I think what I'm trying to say is: when you have time, sit and experiment with different types and weights and jot down some notes. You'll have it mastered in no time and you'll find that slight adjustments may be necessary for every different type of thread you use on your Juki. Good luck. I hope this helps you.

Comment

• Glizell
              Honey Bun
              • Oct 2017

Thank so much for your reply Sharyn! Very encouraging!

I had a horrid experience with tension settings as a teen and totally gave up on sewing until many years later. Have not had any issues with my Janome nor with my Singer 201, so this experience with my brand new Juki is very intimidating! SO many people have said "do NOT adjust your bobbin tension, you'll be sorry!" so that's kind of scary. );

But I will take your excellent advice and soldier on!

Comment

• DeniseSm
                Missouri Star
                • Nov 2013

Originally posted by Glizell View Post
                Thank so much for your reply Sharyn! Very encouraging!

I had a horrid experience with tension settings as a teen and totally gave up on sewing until many years later. Have not had any issues with my Janome nor with my Singer 201, so this experience with my brand new Juki is very intimidating! SO many people have said "do NOT adjust your bobbin tension, you'll be sorry!" so that's kind of scary. );

But I will take your excellent advice and soldier on!
                If you are worried about adjusting your bobbin tension, buy a second bobbin case and adjust the tension on that one. So you have one bobbin case with the original settings, and a second bobbin case you adjust. A Juki bobbin case costs approx $20. It will give you peace of mind and increase your confidence.

And I too keep a record of all my different settings for my straight stitch only machine. I record tension settings, pressure settings, and stitch length, whether I put a thread sock over the thread or not, and foot used for each different weight and type of thread. I keep a record in a binder by my machine, and a record on my computer in case I loose the binder.
                Last edited by DeniseSm; August 30, 2019, 10:26 AM.
                Stash Treasure Acquisitions Beyond Life Expectancy. My stash keeps me STABLE, oh yeah.... and dark chocolate.

Comment

• Glizell
                  Honey Bun
                  • Oct 2017

That is SUCH a great idea!!!! Thanks! I will get another bobbin case. And also keep a record of settings as both you and Sharyn suggested.

Comment

• Midge
                    Missouri Star
                    • Mar 2014

I have the same machine you use. I had issues with the cotton Missouri Star thread shredding. When I was using the poly for free motion quilting I could not get the tension adjusted until I too used the alternate threading path. That helped a lot and I finished a piece with the poly after that without issues. As Last Unicorn said, using a thread net helps a lot for the poly thread from MSQC. I also use the thread net with the Wonderfil Invisifil threads, also poly and very fine 100 wt. I get my thread nets from Superior Threads. You can cut the length you need. Don't give up on the MSQC threads and I think you might be pleased in the end.

Comment

• The_Last_Unicorn
                      Batting Beauty
                      • May 2016

I wonder if a needle with a larger eye (like Topstitch) would help with the shredding. If M*'s cotton thread is 3 ply, then it could be rounder and more "fluffy" than Aurifil 50wt.

Comment

• just4me
                        Designer Diva
                        • Jan 2016

I use Gutterman 50wt with a top tension of about 1.5. I also often use Invisafil (with a thread net ) and I drop the needle tension just a smidge. I use Superior titanium needles, usually size 80/12.
                        I agree, coming from using a computerised machine with an automatic tension adjustment, it can be a bit intimidating having to adjust the tension on the 2010 but once you get the hang of it it's fine. Just keep notes, or take photos of any adjustments you make so you can always find "your way home" if things go a bit pear shaped!

Comment

• bubba
                          Missouri Star
                          • Mar 2013

I've had no issues w/M* thread, because all I use is Aurifil! For the bobbins, I use Superior's Bottomline.
                          pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

sigpic

If you can't be nice.....BE QUIET!

Comment

• AMG
                            The Guild President
                            • Apr 2015

I've used MSQC cotton thread in my Juki 2010Q with no issues at all. The thread path can be tricky, a free times I didn't notice that it missed the hooky thing on the tension thingy (I swear I know what they are but can't recall the names :lol)

I've pieced & done FMQ with it in top & bottom - no problems at all. (Other than operator error :lol)

Comment

• Midge
                              Missouri Star
                              • Mar 2014

Originally posted by The_Last_Unicorn View Post
                              I wonder if a needle with a larger eye (like Topstitch) would help with the shredding. If M*'s cotton thread is 3 ply, then it could be rounder and more "fluffy" than Aurifil 50wt.
                              I never figured out why that shredding happened so I stopped trying to use it for fmq. I always use a Superior topstitch needle for FMQ in my Jukis and generally I don't have problems. I have also had problems with Connecting Threads cotton thread, so I don't use it for fmq any more either. I've been sticking with either Aurifil for cotton or Glide or Wonderfil for poly threads for fmq and I have found that sweet spot of settings for these brands.

Comment

Working...
                              X