Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Shiny Thimble

Post Thanks / Like

Default Help with 54-40 or Fight pattern

I have read and reread the directions for making the triangle in the square unit. I have watched Jenny's tutorial on You Tube. I have made this unit in the past using the Tri Recs ruler, but I cannot figure out how to make it using the pattern/tutorial instructions. If I hadn't already cut the fabric per the pattern instructions, I'd go ahead and use the ruler. The directions don't give precise measurements or have step by step illustrations. I've tried making samples, but am totally frustrated.

How can I be precise when I'm told to sew it "about 1/4 inch" for the first side, and then am unable to even see the center fold to position the other leg?

Please HELP!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Help with 54-40 or Fight pattern

I have not made this but watched Jenny do it. That block is constructed kind of like paper piecing but without the papers. You need to mark the center where to lay it down, then sew and fIip. Sew the second leg on, flip, press, turn entire block over and trim. Just follow Jenny and keep stopping the video watch her do a seam, stop vid then you make what she did, etc. I am not sure what part you are having trouble with.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I want to make one of these, one day! If you look at Jenny's quilt on the wall during the tutorial. all of those star points are wonky!

If the problem is knowing where the center top is, you could create a template to make a mark the center and where you want the ends to go to. You'd need a 30/60/ 90 triangle.
    Katrina

“Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.”
    ― Maya Angelou

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

The tri recs templates are your friend for doing those.

5. Thanks Midge thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I made this quilt and I used the tri rec ruler and it worked out fine

Applique Angel

Post Thanks / Like

I use the tri-recs too for this. Sadly, I have had about half of the 54-40 blocks assembled for over a year but haven't made the other half or ANY of the alternating blocks to go with it yet