Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Layer cakes

Batting Beauty

Post Thanks / Like

Default Layer cakes

I went crazy and purchased 4 layer cakes and after seeing Jenny decided to make a few of her suggested patterns. Many of them call for a patterned layer cake and a plan layer cake. I have been to 3 LQS and no one sells plain layer cakes. So I have a quilt shop that has over 600 108" bolts of material. So I decided to just purchase 108 material and cut it into 10" squares. Has anyone tried this and has it been and yeah or neah. It certainly would be a little less expensive but cutting 42 10" squares is time consuming-but then what else do I have to do-HA HA. Your opinion is most appreciated.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Layer cakes

I’ve never purchased plain layer cakes. Would rather cut my own from yardage sine I usually have that on hand.

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

You will save yourself a bundle of money and possibility a few headaches also. Very often layer cakes (and other precuts) will have pieces that are not true to size. This will require additional trimming and even more of your time plus pieces that are often to small for your pattern. You can cut several squares at a time also, depending on what you are comfortable with doing. No pinked edges either.

4. Thanks DeniseSm thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

It is much less expensive and more accurate to cut your own plain layer cakes. Not sure why you want to cut the layer cake from 108" wide fabric instead of from 45" wide fabric. Usually the 108 wide fabric is more expensive, I find it to be more wrinkled and thus requires more time to iron it flat before I can cut it, and because of its size it is more cumbersome to work with.
    Stash Treasure Acquisitions Beyond Life Expectancy. My stash keeps me STABLE, oh yeah.... and dark chocolate.

6. Thanks am2901 thanked for this post
    Rotary Pro

Post Thanks / Like

I cut my solid color 10" squares, that way I have yardage available for borders and I am sure it will match.
    One yard of fabric, like one cookie, is never enough!

Beth aka Asta

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Go for it! You can get a whole lot of 10" squares out of 108 wide fabric!
    Katrina

“Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.”
    ― Maya Angelou

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like a good idea to me. Just do the math so you get enough fabric to give you the 42 squares you need. Maybe get just a little extra to allow for squaring up the edges. Sometimes the 108 inch fabric is cut kind of wonky.

Binding Belle

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe doing a snip and tear down the middle of the fabric (lengthwise) would make it easier to fold and cut on the grain. Tearing fabric helps you get an on-grain edge, but you have to press it because the resulting edge can be a little ruffled.

Batting Beauty

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DeniseSm View Post
    It is much less expensive and more accurate to cut your own plain layer cakes. Not sure why you want to cut the layer cake from 108" wide fabric instead of from 45" wide fabric. Usually the 108 wide fabric is more expensive, I find it to be more wrinkled and thus requires more time to iron it flat before I can cut it, and because of its size it is more cumbersome to work with.
    I am thinking I can get 10 10" squares from 108 wide and would only need about 1.25 yards which in this case would probably be less than a layer cake which runs approximately $35.00. Even if 108 runs $18.00 p/yard it still would be less expensive. I will agree with the more cumbersome-I guess I will have to evaluate it. Thank you.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I have bought that wide fabric to use for bags and it is the pits trying to square it up and cut it. I won't do that again.
    pat.

No rain....no rainbows!