Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default My new vintage Singer 99 (1925)

I'm so happy with my recent purchases. This house content sale was close to home and had 3 sewing machines. A kind man offered to swap his #20 with my #21, so I could go in the first group allowed entry. I could not believe his kindness, thanked him and will pay this forward.

As I entered I spotted the machines in dining room. I ran to a Husquarvana and paid for it and a metal bench, along with a bin of well organized binders of quilt patterns and a sewing storage cabinet. I had to make another trip to pick bicycle. The Singer and an antique Raymond were still there. I bought the Singer. The Raymond was gorgeous, but the cabinet was extremely heavy & would not fit in my car. I researched last night and will regret not taking that one home as it has a Canadian history, probably built in Guelph, Ontario. But then again, I only buy what I will use and have space for.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	182.1 KB 
ID:	160445 Click image for larger version. 

Views:	66 
Size:	195.0 KB 
ID:	160446Click image for larger version. 

Views:	77 
Size:	178.6 KB 
ID:	160447

Now what got me more excited about my Singer is that it has a knee lever. I did some research on the serial number and it was made on August 4, 1925 in North Carolina. It was well cared for and when I threaded it, it just hummed along with perfect stitches. It has the manual/booklet and all the attachments. The key works and holds the case closed. I have a friend who repairs, restores vintage Singers. I will have her look at it to explore options to upgrade the cord with plus, as I want to ensure it will be safe to use.

And yes, I am always willing to go shopping with friends (KarenC) anytime. I am a focussed but determined shopper. I also love to bargain and get great deals. My GF described me like a hunter, it's the thrill of the hunt for the prize.

DH was stunned when he came home. I told him I can't be left alone to my own devices.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Views:	62 
Size:	185.4 KB 
ID:	160444  

Enjoy life and do what makes you happy. Everything else will follow.

Every day I try to do one thing that challenges my comfort zone.

2. Thanks Midge, sewbizzy, pcbatiks, Monique, Granny Fran, cv quilter thanked for this post
    Quilting Royalty

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: My new vintage Singer 99 (1925)

What beautiful treasures ! You must be either a Taurus or a Capricorn to shop so well. I can imagine you will be dancing gleefully every time you look at them =)

4. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Wow wow! Congrats on some awesome purchases, plus you had all the fun of the "hunt"
    A day patched with quilting Seldom unravels Sharon

6. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    Block Queen

Post Thanks / Like

Nice finds!
    If you can't see the mistake from the back of a galloping horse, nobody is going to notice it.

8. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Sometimes you just can't pass some things up. Good for you, enjoy!!
    Blessed are the children of the piecemakers for they shall inherit the quilts!

10. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by minipinlady View Post
    What beautiful treasures ! You must be either a Taurus or a Capricorn to shop so well. I can imagine you will be dancing gleefully every time you look at them =)
    Taurus. Monkey (chinese astrology).

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Way to go! Excellent bargain finds!
    "I'm putting together a list of 100 reasons why I am NOT relentless!" - Sue Heck, The Middle

Leonard: For God's sake, Sheldon, do I have to hold up a sarcasm sign every time I open my mouth?
    Sheldon (intrigued): You have a sarcasm sign?

13. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

For safety, and you probably know this, never leave the vintage machines plugged in when not in use. They can be a fire hazard.
    I also collect and restore vintage singers. The 99 is a beauty. I have one myself, younger and in a cabinet. Sews like a dream. Happy sewing!
    “Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt.” ― John Muir
    “We can be many things in this life, choose to be kind!” ― author unknown

15. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MHG Winnower View Post
    For safety, and you probably know this, never leave the vintage machines plugged in when not in use. They can be a fire hazard.
    I also collect and restore vintage singers. The 99 is a beauty. I have one myself, younger and in a cabinet. Sews like a dream. Happy sewing!
    Thanks, and yes I do not leave plugged in, especially since the cord is frayed. I hope that this will be the only one I have, although I am always on the lookout for a featherweight. I have observed that quilters collect fabrics and machines. I'm afraid I could suffer from this new affliction (addiction or infuriation) that I am slowly going over to that side, much to my husband's dismay.

I do have to say that many vintage and antique machines have come and gone into my life over the years, but this was all before I was a quilter. Oh sure, I sewed, but quilting has made me appreciate the craft of creating with my hands. The history behind the creation of these time-saving invention and the craftsmanship of true pioneers gets my mojo going.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Keep an eye out for a Featherweight. Harder and harder to find; lots out on eBay all the time. Prices are down right now. I still have two of the four I had. Sold off two since I really wasn't doing them justice by using them. Just love those little workhorses.
    “Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt.” ― John Muir
    “We can be many things in this life, choose to be kind!” ― author unknown

18. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post