Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Thread: Round and round

Batting Beauty

Post Thanks / Like

Default Round and round

I made a Kaffee pattern called round and round. It is just strips sewn around and around. So the final instructions say to stitch in the ditch for quilting. So my friend and I were discussing this and she said her long armer
    did a similar thing to the top and batting and then put the backing on and quilted it. She did it that way to hold the strips in position when long arming it. So if I decide to do this myself rather than having the
    Long armer do it should I put larger batting down then trim it before it goes to the long armer,, leave a 3-4” over the top, just send it and let them decide how to handle it or call and discuss it with them.
    To many options.
    Thank you.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Round and round

Call and discuss it with the long armer first
    Stash Treasure Acquisitions Beyond Life Expectancy. My stash keeps me STABLE, oh yeah.... and dark chocolate.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Call the longarmer. She or he may decide they don't want to quilt it.
    Vonnie

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

That's odd. I'd just put the batting and backing on, then quilt it. Why quilt it twice?
    Of course when I quilt, I do some stablising lines across in both directions before doing anything curvy or twisty.
    If sending to a long armer, I would not 'pre-quilt' the top and batting. I am pretty sure they won't like it.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

It seems to me, if you were going to machine quilt it at home on a standard machine, stitch in the ditch after you sandwich it might be the easiest way to quilt it.

It sounds like you're already planning to go to the longarmer. If you're going to take it to be done, pick a pattern YOU love! I wouldn't waste the time and money to quilt it to take it to be requilted.
    Katrina

“Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.”
    ― Maya Angelou

Batting Beauty

Post Thanks / Like

It went to the LA so we shall see what he does. I was told that if I wanted Stitch in the Ditch that would be custom and would cost more money plus no one at the LQS could not see why the strips would go wonkie-so since I don't LA I will leave it up to him. IF I could ever figure out how to post a picture I will do that but in the meantime thank you all for your responses.