• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SuzanneOrleansOntario
    Missouri Star
    • Aug 2015

WIP - August 23-29, 2019

It's been a hectic week, with lots of sewing sprinkled in. Going to start the thread and hoping that Karla is still on the mend.

I decided to target the M* kindred pinwheels quilt. The blocks were done at a February retreat. I got them all sewn together with white sashings same as background. Decided not to do a different coloured sashing and cornerstone. I want more negative space for quilting. I've cut the borders and will probably sew these during the weekend.

I've also dedicated some time to finish some donation quilts. Today my GF & I picked up 7 quilt tops quilted by a LAQ. I trimmed the batting/backing and have kept a few to finish. She will attach the binding and bring them to another member who loves to handsew. We also cut fabric for 3 kits for members to sew at the fall meetings.

I've also been twice to a LQS that is closing at the end of August, and another one 3 hrs away. I have to get sewing faster than I can buy. Gorgeous fabrics that were screaming to come home.

I hope everyone is keeping well. What sewing in your universe?
    Enjoy life and do what makes you happy. Everything else will follow.
  • KarenC
    Missouri Star
    • Apr 2015

Re: WIP - August 23-29, 2019

Wow Suzanne, you sure are busy. I have not been home much to sew lately. Hoping to do more quilting on the grandma's fan quilt this weekend. It's involving marking for the cross hatch, so not going to quickly. Also have a t-shirt quilt waiting on borders and quilting after this one is done. I hope to finish both before I go to fall forum retreat at the end of September.
    Karen
    Spring, TX

Comment

• shermur
      Missouri Star
      • Mar 2013

I finally got to sew today! It's been so hectic at the job I can't stand.....Yesterday's interview I have high hopes went well.

Here's my layout so far with the Moda Bakeshop Quilt along - At the Seashore....3 more rows to figure out!

MBS At the Seashore Taffy layout 08.2019 Rows 1 & 2 (800x531).jpg
      Sherri

"Don't let someone else's ugly spoil your beautiful. " Thanks, Bubby!!!!!!

Comment

• DeniseSm
        Missouri Star
        • Nov 2013

I happily tore my stash apart looking for fabrics to make the free Butterfly Haven pattern from Wilmington Prints. Turns out I didn't have the exact panel, but I found one that seems to work. I think I can pull it together from these selections.

100_5171.JPG

My room is a mess. I need to clean it up before I get started.
        Stash Treasure Acquisitions Beyond Life Expectancy. My stash keeps me STABLE, oh yeah.... and dark chocolate.

Comment

• The_Last_Unicorn
          Batting Beauty
          • May 2016

I had to put away all my sewing equipment at the beginning of July to make room to throw out my old mattress and move in the new one. I brought back my cutting table first and had the idea to cut down my stash by making two very scrappy, easy patterns (a variation on Double Slice and this one from Moda Bakeshop). I've collected lots of fabrics with no plan simply because they were pretty, and decided it was time to finally put them to use.

I figured out the math to make the most of two twin size battings, selected and prepped my fabric, then I cut and sorted almost everything I would need. Including backings and bindings, these quilts should use up around 10yds of stash apiece.

doublesliceingredients.jpgsimplestacksingredients.jpg

It's been weeks since I've worked on them, and I still haven't set up my sewing machine again. Time to change that and get these projects going! I'm going to finish sorting and cutting starting today, and I need to get my machine set back up in time for the weekend. Then I can put on my audiobook or a favorite podcast and get back into my quilting groove.

Comment

• threadbndr
            Batting Beauty
            • Jan 2017

I haven't had any time to sew for the last two weeks. I did, however, buy a new to me vintage machine LOL. I've been looking for a treadle with the rolled steel or wooden upright legs instead of the scroll type cast iron legs. Found one locally for just $45 US. It has a decent Singer Model 66 crinkle finish head in it, though both the head and base need work.

I'm off on Friday and have the Monday holiday coming up, so I'm hoping to get some stuff accomplished this weekend. Hope everybody is having a good week! I'll try to remember to get the thread kicked off since I'm on vacation. But if it's not up by noon central time, I hope S can kick us off again.

Comment

• Granny Judy
              Missouri Star
              • Apr 2011

I finished 2 quilt size panels and working on the 3rd..all going to the same family. Found the "perfect" backing fabric for a barn panel quilt that I pieced together last fall. It's for my son and since he bought a big roll of batting, I think I should get his quilt to him "this year'.
              And I love the pattern& fabric I found for a quilt -for me!! It's called Harlequin- diamonds in 3 different sizes. I pressed the fabric and have to start cutting tomorrow. (can't find the pic/image now- when I do, I'll post it)

I must have overdone it with the quilt show on Sunday and pedicure today. As I was exhausted today. Sooo-- Son in Law did the grocery shopping for this week, and got me my Chocolate Fudge Ice Cream. Yeah, He loves my cooking. DD#2 will head into work tomorrow, her first day back after her 2 emergency surgeries. She doing really well, just wants to rush the healing process.

I also am practicing making mitered corners on borders.. I have a panel that I have decided to add 3 different borders to. It's a challenge and I need some practice getting those 45 degree corners cut and sewn. It's gonna be a nice little throw for a guy..teen boy. I'll hold it in my arsenal til needed. My GSs are all grown and having babes of their own. (light bulbs going off!!)
              Judy

Click HERE to find me and My imagination
              :icon_wave:

Comment

• SuzanneOrleansOntario
                Missouri Star
                • Aug 2015

Originally posted by threadbndr View Post
                I haven't had any time to sew for the last two weeks. I did, however, buy a new to me vintage machine LOL. I've been looking for a treadle with the rolled steel or wooden upright legs instead of the scroll type cast iron legs. Found one locally for just $45 US. It has a decent Singer Model 66 crinkle finish head in it, though both the head and base need work.

I'm off on Friday and have the Monday holiday coming up, so I'm hoping to get some stuff accomplished this weekend. Hope everybody is having a good week! I'll try to remember to get the thread kicked off since I'm on vacation. But if it's not up by noon central time, I hope S can kick us off again.
                Congratulations on your new threadle machine. When I got my Singer 99 last week, I found it fascinating researching the older machines. I hope you have access to parts and service. Or do you know how to get it working?

Comment

• SuzanneOrleansOntario
                  Missouri Star
                  • Aug 2015

I finished the binding and handsewed it to 2 quilts for donation for VQC (cancer patients). The tops were made by another member, and quilted for free by a LAQ. I turned in 3 in to the group. Tonight I need to sew 2 baby change pads and burp pads for a gift.

image.jpg image.jpg

image.jpg image.jpg

Comment

• Granny Judy
                    Missouri Star
                    • Apr 2011

I found the pic... harlequin. It from Lynn at patchery manajurie (sp) My spelling isn't that good. but use the "sounds like" method to pronounce her blog spot. Please!

2015 patcherymanajurie.JPG
                    I have a big pile of fabric chosen and wrinkles pressed out of all the fat quarters.. I'm doing mine in some blues, greens and creams. Emerald Isle comes to mind when I look at all my fabric.
                    Judy

Click HERE to find me and My imagination
                    :icon_wave:

Comment

• Claire Hallman
                      Missouri Star
                      • Jun 2011

Wow, all that pink and yellow just makes me happy.
                      Claire from Pelham, Alabama

Comment

Working...
                      X