• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Monique
    Missouri Star
    • Jan 2011

Hey hey it's Friday!!

Good morning friends. Yes Friday has arrived. It was a beautiful day yesterday with lower temperatures. I was able to get out and get a few groceries. I stopped off at the Nearly New shop at the church and lo and behold if they didn't have a bathroom fixture. I checked it out, it was brand new, two lights but no glass shades. $3 was all they were asking, so I jumped on it and bought it, along with two bathrobes and a long sleeved top!! Score!! I was so proud of my purchase. So after getting and putting away stuff I decided to install it. Got a little advice from my brother and set about. It took me a little longer that it probably should but ALAS it was installed and working. I found some spare shades that I have been hording for just such an occasion. My light looks good if I do say so myself.

Well the men folk have gone fishing, literally, LOL!! So I have been left to my devices. Not sure if that is a good thing or not. I am not insured on the Greg's rental so I won't be traveling anywhere and that's okay too. I really need to stay home and get some things done.

My lovely neighbour came over and cut my hair for me. And what a lovely woman she is. She did a great job trimming. Then she came up to my sewing room and I gave her a show and tell of the projects I have made for my SS swap. There were a couple of patterns she wanted but she was most impressed with the snap bags that use the measuring tape. Now I have some ideas for gifts to make for her. And she really liked my pressing board that I made myself.

And so today the dirtiest kitchen floor will get washed and some vacuuming done as well. I will also start packing for our trip. I am down to 2 gifts left to make for the swap. I will try and get those done this weekend as well.

And so my friends, that is what my weekend is looking like. I wish you all a great day.

Thoughts and prayers going out to those who need them, May especially, on the loss of her son.
    Blessed are the children of the piecemakers for they shall inherit the quilts!
  • JCY
    Missouri Star
    • Jul 2013

Re: Hey hey it's Friday!!

Good Morning, Everyone ~ Monique, doesn't it feel good to find such bargains? I'm impressed you were able to install the light fixture yourself.

Yest. I washed up the 2 new sets of sheets + another load. I want to go back to Kohl's today & get more sheets while they're on sale & I can use my Kohl's coupon.

This noon is our monthly Lady Bugs lunch; we're going to Red Lobster. I also want to stop by the furniture store again & take another look at that recliner I liked. I might order it with a different fabric.

We had a brief rumble of thunder & gentle rain yest. eve. High temp. was 98.

Maybe you heard on the national news about the 8 y.o. boy in Colo. who was attacked by a mountain lion. It happened in Bailey, which is a mtn. town W. of Denver. He & his bro. were jumping on the trampoline in the back yard about 7:30 p.m. He was bit around the head. He is expected to survive. The 2 mountain lions in the area were found & killed. There also have been several bear incidents. The bears are in their fall feeding frenzy in prep. for hibernation. They will open unlocked vehicles & wreck havoc on the interiors, break into homes, etc. They can open refrigerators, cupboards, etc. Several "repeat offenders" have had to be killed. If the bear has been tagged & relocated previously, but comes back to the same area, they have to kill it. There even was a bear sighted on the Univ. of CO. campus in Boulder a few days ago.

Comment

• KPH
      Missouri Star
      • Feb 2015

Oh Monique, you can't have the dirtiest floor, because I have! Pepper isn't a neat eater and when she drinks I think half of the water drools out when she walks away. My floor will be getting a good scrubbing then steaming today! The whole house needs vacuuming. I have to be ready to go by noon, hopefully the bus won't get here that early unless there are more people on the route.

Today, first white cane lesson. We'll see how that goes. My mobility instructor is starting to get on my nerves. She's not a very good listener, goodness knows the mean school teacher wants to come out some days. Reminds me of Judge Judy, you have 2 ears and 1 mouth so you can listen more. I wonder how she'd react to my 'Are your listening ears on?' question I use to ask the kids.

Oh well, Ben's quilt is sandwiched. I had to do it in stages, my helper, Pepper was a little sleepy yesterday. I managed to get the backing ripped and ready, the front and batting spray basted. before Jim picked her up. Once I got all the Pepper laundry ready for the laundry today. I finished sandwiching the quilt. It's ready to quilt today. I'll work on it a little this morning and hopefully finish it tomorrow.

Dot (MIL) gave Mary her quilt yesterday. She was really surprised and pleased. So, MIL was happy, Mary was happy and Bob was going to get a surprise when he got home. He's the one that really wanted the quilt!

Well, if I'm going to get anything done today, I'm going to have to get up and get started!

Monique, great job on your lighting fixture. I'll have an electrician come in and do any lighting changes here after Howard found that all the lights we changed out had no boxes on them. I think everything has already been changed, but the fan in the living room area scares me when it's on high. I don't know if there is the appropriate bracing or if the motor is not balanced properly. I just keep it on low or medium.

Have a great day!
      Katrina
      From NC, retired in FL
      “Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.” Maya Angelou

Comment

• KPH
        Missouri Star
        • Feb 2015

Oh Monique, you can't have the dirtiest floor, because I have! Pepper isn't a neat eater and when she drinks I think half of the water drools out when she walks away. My floor will be getting a good scrubbing then steaming today! The whole house needs vacuuming. I have to be ready to go by noon, hopefully the bus won't get here that early unless there are more people on the route.

Today, first white cane lesson. We'll see how that goes. My mobility instructor is starting to get on my nerves. She's not a very good listener, goodness knows the mean school teacher wants to come out some days. Reminds me of Judge Judy, you have 2 ears and 1 mouth so you can listen more. I wonder how she'd react to my 'Are your listening ears on?' question I use to ask the kids.

Oh well, Ben's quilt is sandwiched. I had to do it in stages, my helper, Pepper was a little sleepy yesterday. I managed to get the backing ripped and ready, the front and batting spray basted. before Jim picked her up. Once I got all the Pepper laundry ready for the laundry today. I finished sandwiching the quilt. It's ready to quilt today. I'll work on it a little this morning and hopefully finish it tomorrow.

Dot (MIL) gave Mary her quilt yesterday. She was really surprised and pleased. So, MIL was happy, Mary was happy and Bob was going to get a surprise when he got home. He's the one that really wanted the quilt!

Well, if I'm going to get anything done today, I'm going to have to get up and get started!

Monique, great job on your lighting fixture. I'll have an electrician come in and do any lighting changes here after Howard found that all the lights we changed out had no boxes on them. I think everything has already been changed, but the fan in the living room area scares me when it's on high. I don't know if there is the appropriate bracing or if the motor is not balanced properly. I just keep it on low or medium.

Have a great day!

Well that was weird, I hit the post and it asked if I wanted to leave the page. So I clicked no, stay on the page and hit post again, and the edit page came up. I feel like Schultz, Very interesting
        Katrina
        From NC, retired in FL

Comment

• Navy Wife
          Missouri Star
          • Dec 2013

Today is a happy day here. We finally got some rain yesterday, and more to come. It has been so dry and hot. Temps back in the 80's today also.

I've been busy this week running errands and keeping appointments. Last one today, but it is with my piano tuner. I get to stay home, at least until dinnertime. We're meeting DS#1 for dinner. I need to get busy. My kitchen floor is also among the dirtiest!

Comment

• Bubby
            Missouri Star
            • Jun 2011

Good Morning...We are supposed to get rain all day and it's really coming down but so far it isn't storming.

KPH you inspired me to make a Tea Cup Quilt from a new LC I just received, Garden of Dreams. It's beautiful fabric and I think the larger pieces and the simple shapes in the blocks will let the fabric shine through. I have seen a few different ways to set the blocks together so I have a decision to make soon, as I should be done with the blocks today or tomorrow. It depends on whether or not I have to unplug my machine due to lightning.

Tomorrow we are scheduled to work at the apartments and we have a showing. Our whole tribe has to go tomorrow because we will be gone most of the day.

Joy, I hope you find a good recliner. Are you shopping for a new mattress also? We are and so far we would like to try a Lull. You can see them at lull.com. You can try it for 100 days and if you aren't totally pleased they will pick it up and refund your $$ in full. It gets very good reviews.

I'm off to fold a load of laundry. Have a good day everyone. Special thoughts and prayers to May and her family.
            sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

• KPH
              Missouri Star
              • Feb 2015

Originally posted by Bubby View Post
              Good Morning...We are supposed to get rain all day and it's really coming down but so far it isn't storming.

KPH you inspired me to make a Tea Cup Quilt from a new LC I just received, Garden of Dreams. It's beautiful fabric and I think the larger pieces and the simple shapes in the blocks will let the fabric shine through. I have seen a few different ways to set the blocks together so I have a decision to make soon, as I should be done with the blocks today or tomorrow. It depends on whether or not I have to unplug my machine due to lightning.

Tomorrow we are scheduled to work at the apartments and we have a showing. Our whole tribe has to go tomorrow because we will be gone most of the day.

Joy, I hope you find a good recliner. Are you shopping for a new mattress also? We are and so far we would like to try a Lull. You can see them at lull.com. You can try it for 100 days and if you aren't totally pleased they will pick it up and refund your $$ in full. It gets very good reviews.

I'm off to fold a load of laundry. Have a good day everyone. Special thoughts and prayers to May and her family.
              Barb, the cutting of this quilt was really quick. I cut it all, shifted the "holes" and left the "mug pieces" in their stacks and went to the sewing machine. I didn't pay a whole lot of attention to what colors went where, except if they were really close in color. I chain pieced the whole thing, only stopping to press when necessary. I think it took longer to place the blocks than sew all of the blocks together! Of course, my helper wasn't really that good seeing the colors and Mike was at work. I have several rounds of pictures trying to make sure it was balanced.
              Katrina
              From NC, retired in FL

Comment

• Bubby
                Missouri Star
                • Jun 2011

Originally posted by KPH View Post
                Barb, the cutting of this quilt was really quick. I cut it all, shifted the "holes" and left the "mug pieces" in their stacks and went to the sewing machine. I didn't pay a whole lot of attention to what colors went where, except if they were really close in color. I chain pieced the whole thing, only stopping to press when necessary. I think it took longer to place the blocks than sew all of the blocks together! Of course, my helper wasn't really that good seeing the colors and Mike was at work. I have several rounds of pictures trying to make sure it was balanced.
                I did my cutting and sorting the same way. I think I have about 7 more blocks to sew and then it will be layout time. I ordered some really nice fabric for the border and am waiting for it to come. I may make a 2-fabric border this time.
                sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

• Simply Quilting
                  Missouri Star
                  • Dec 2013

Good morning! It was cool this morning to open my email from MSQC - the one titled Shop Red, Save Green and see two of our children in a picture. They were sewing key fobs during the education center's grand opening. They thought it was pretty cool to see their picture.

Planning on heading to the park today with friends. The oldest three have plans tonight with the youth group so it will just be little one and me at home tonight for some mommy and son time. I've got a some fun things planned for him and I while the older ones are gone.

Have a wonderful weekend everyone

Comment

• BarbaraB
                    Designer Diva
                    • Dec 2016

Hello to all today! It's hard to believe that it's Friday, the week has gone by so fast.
                    I'm finally at the point in the whole bedroom renovation that I need to go through my stash and see if I can condense things. I like to keep each project in its own tote, but that takes a lot of space, and the closet is only so big. I need to make shelving according to how many totes I have. So, it'll be a hard few days as I open each tote and lovingly fondle each and every piece of fabric and contemplate each project. NOT!!!!!
                    The high point of the week...I found some homemade cupcakes tucked in the freezer and thawed them out. And I jut happened to have a tub of frosting in the pantry. Oh Joy!
                    The low point of the week...the washer is on the fritz. We paid over 700.00 for a washer just 22 months ago. The cost to repair it is over 1200.00 and the necessary parts are backordered. Since we are in a rural area, there is no one close who will repair it under a direct warranty. We must pay out of pocket first and then (hopefully) be reimbursed the full amount. We purchased an extended warranty, so the seller will not do a thing. I need to prepare myself to bang my head against a wall repeatedly in the next few weeks.
                    Now, before I need to start working, I'm going to cut a cupcake in half and smother each half in frosting, and savor each and every bite!
                    May you all have a wonderful weekend!
                    Barbara

Comment

• SuzanneOrleansOntario
                      Missouri Star
                      • Aug 2015

Happy TGIF.
                      I was on earlier but had to get showered and ready by 9am. Lord knows I don't do mornings well, unless it's to go to a quilt store or quilt with a friend. Dorothy & I were going to pick up 8 quilts from LAQ. One was Dorothy's, the others were for Victoria Quilts. This lovely LA does some every month for us at no charge. It also gives her practice quilts as she is new to her Gammill. So then we came back to my house. I trimmed the quilts, and Dorothy cut 3 kits for the next few month's meetings. I also sewed binsing for 2 quilts. Then we paired up fabrics to make other kits. I will sew the binding & labels on 2 quilts this week and return these when we meet next week. There will be a backing and batting bee next week.

Yesterday I finished piecing the kindred pinwheels quilt top. I have cut 1st border. Tomorrow, I will add the 2 borders and the top will be ready to finish. I think I may rent the LA for this one. It's almost kingsize.

Not much planned for the weekend except I am going to a house content sale, and there are several sewing machines, bicycle and shelves that interest me. You have to go at 8am to get an entry ticket & the sale starts at 9am. I haven't been lucky on getting in early, but DH will be gone early, so I will be up.

The weather is cooler but sunny. This is my kind of weather. Have a good weekend.
                      Enjoy life and do what makes you happy. Everything else will follow.

Comment

• JCY
                        Missouri Star
                        • Jul 2013

Barb ~ Yes, I'm shopping for both a recliner & the new mattresses. I tried out the recliner again today. Love it! I was all set to buy it, then the lady said they don't deliver! What?! They refer to an individual who does it for them -- not their employee. I left a msg. but haven't heard back yet. What I don't know is if he'll haul away my old recliner. So I haven't purchased yet.

Mattresses ~ Yes, I have those picked out, but have not placed my order yet. The factory is local & they are made to order. It takes 2-3 business days for them to assemble the mattresses & platforms. In the mean time I'm shopping for bedding, since none of our old sheets or matt. pads will fit a larger, deeper mattress. This is an added expense. I've been taking advantage of this week's Kohl's white sale + my coupon was for 30% off, so that's a huge savings. I went back to Kohl's this a.m. & bought 2 more queen size sheet sets, a full matt. pad for the guest bed, & a queen pad -- better quality with cotton topping -- for my bed. I would never want to pay full price for any of these items! All these linens (at reg. price) would total up to the price of a mattress, or more! It's not like we don't need sheets. Ha ha! Some of these sheets I've been using for >40 yrs. & you can actually see through them!

But all this shopping & internet browsing is time consuming & tiring. I'll be glad when everything is purchased, delivered & in place. I promised myself I would at least have a new recliner by the time DS#1 from MD visited the next time. The last time he was here, he asked me when I was going to replace it. This one we bought used >30 yrs. ago! But... it's been so comfy, & I just didn't want to take the time to shop. Well, my son is coming Sept. 20, so I want to have all this stuff done before his visit. Thus the push to get 'er done!

Comment

• KPH
                          Missouri Star
                          • Feb 2015

Well, that was interesting!

JTA picked me up on time. We picked up another customer, dropped him off for dialysis. Headed out, I was thinking turn right and in a few minutes I'll be at VERC. NOOOOooooooooooo, they turned left, back past my subdivision, then over close to Jim and Morgan's house. I was late! Anybody that knows me, knows I don't do late! It was only 2 minutes, but still, over 45 minutes on the bus to be late!

So, I was ready to beat someone with a cane. Only thing is, my mobility instructor decided to try out filters. 20 in the hot, Florida sun, trying on (in my opinion) sunglasses. It's probably a good thing I didn't have a cane in my hands.

The bus was 30 minutes late picking me up, and another hour before I got home. I feel like I've been beaten. I told Mike I was ready to take a shower and put on my pajamas at 50. I've waited a bit, we warmed left overs for dinner. I think I'm going to hit the showers and go look at Ben's quilt. That may be as far as I get! We'll see.

Maybe next week, we'll do what I thought we were going to do today.
                          Katrina
                          From NC, retired in FL

Comment

• JCY
                            Missouri Star
                            • Jul 2013

Oh, Katrina ~ How frustrating! It reminds me of one trip I took several years ago with the Super Shuttle van from my house to the Denver Airport. First of all, he was early; I was the first one he picked up. I wasn't even done with my breakfast & had to leave it on the table. Then we went to area hotels, out in the country to a house where the guy wasn't even ready, & a final stop in a N. Denver suburb. I think we were 2 hrs. getting to the airport. I was so upset. By the time we reached the airport my bladder was ready to burst, & I still had to check in & get through security & out to the concourse & gate. I barely made it. I complained to the company about that driver. I think our town no longer is serviced by Super Shuttle. I haven't flown for 5 yrs. so I don't know what the van service is like now.

I hope your next trip won't be quite so frustrating.

Comment

Working...
                            X