• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gramofeight
    Beginning Stitcher
    • Mar 2015

White Fabric dilemma

Hello quilters! Do any of you regularly use white fabric in your quilt blocks? I am surprised over and over by the weight of the white I have come across. First, let me say that my first choice is not a solid, rather I prefer tone-on-tone. I recently purchased a fat quarter bundle by Riley Blake. I was so excited until I opened each fat quarter. I don't trust the sheer appearance of the fabric, and I hesitate using it in my quilt. Anyone out there have any words of wisdom for me? Am I worrying for nothing?
  • jjkaiser
    Missouri Star
    • Oct 2013

Re: White Fabric dilemma

I like Kona Snow, it is white but not bright white white. Usually though I prefer using cream and then I use muslin bc I like both the color and the feel. I stay away from tone on tone, whites especially but that is personal choice. I find they have almost a flocked feel to them and I am a hq and find them hard to quilt through. I haven't bought much tone on tone online so the quality might be better. The white TOT I used came from Joann's.
    Jocelyn
    South Milwaukee, Wisconsin

Comment

• TMP
      Missouri Star
      • Apr 2014

I buy bolts of Moda Bella Solid White Bleached 9900/98 from a local shop. She gives me a nice discount because I buy a couple at a time. I use it for backgrounds when I need white but, mostly I use for backing. It has a nice feel to it.
      Teresa
      Pelham, Alabama
      War Eagle!!!

Comment

• toggpine
        Missouri Star
        • Aug 2009

I use white-on-whites, but I hand pick most of them. I have been really pleased with the quality of the Connecting Threads w-o-w. It's been heavy weight enough to not be see-through. I have even hand dyed it for quilt backs.

If you want the pattern, but want more substance, you could cut a matching piece of muslin, but that doubles the cost/ thickness.
        Be who you are and say what you feel
        because those who mind don't matter,
        and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss

http://www.toggpine.wordpress.com

Comment

• Vonnie
          Missouri Star
          • Apr 2013

I was told a long time ago in a quilting/piecing class, that when you are piecing with white fabric and a dark color and the seams have to go towards the light fabric, that the dark fabric should be trimmed a thread or two shorter than the white fabric so it wont show on top. I know that we are suppose to press towards the dark, but sometimes that makes the seams too bulky and your longarmer might get upset!
          Vonnie

Comment

• SuzanneOrleansOntario
            Missouri Star
            • Aug 2015

When I first started quilting, I bought some whites, not really thinking or concerned about the weight of whites. Then I made a few quilts and their sheerness really concerned me, so I would press to the dark side or open seam. That seemed to do the trick.

I use Kona Snow if I want a softer white, and other tone on tones from other designers. When I find one I like, I usually get a bolt of it. It doesn't go to waste.
            Enjoy life and do what makes you happy. Everything else will follow.

Comment

• Bernina2
              The Guild President
              • Oct 2014

I have used white on white for several quilts
              I liked the texture it gives white fabric.
              I did buy yardage to get a good selection.
              When I want a solid white for piecing I use Kona Snow.
              When I machine embroider and want a
              good contrast of brighter white with my bright
              colored threads/design I use Kona White.

Comment

• gramofeight
                Beginning Stitcher
                • Mar 2015

I agree with jkaiser. I don't trust that "flocked" feel. I do not hand stitch, however, I find it odd to iron over.
                Thank you toggpine. I will check out connecting threads. I do have some Kona snow - it is just wonderful.
                Thanks to all of you. Your replies really helped.

Comment

• laura44
                  Missouri Star
                  • Mar 2014

I make almost all my quilts with a white background. Never had a
                  problem. Just a personal choice.

Comment

• Squeaky
                    Applique Angel
                    • Aug 2012

I use a bright white (Kona White from Joanns) but always use a bright white batting with it. Any other off-white or multi-color non-white quilt can get a natural color batting but if you do that with a bright white cotton in the top it could give it an off-white or "dirty" look sometimes. I don't like having to keep two batting rolls around, but it's worth it. I've also been known to buy a black batting when a whole quilt top and backing are very dark fabrics, so maybe I'm a little *too* obsessed with the color of the batting?

Comment

• JCY
                      Missouri Star
                      • Jul 2013

I also like white on white. Otherwise the fabric seems too sheer or see-through. But I hand pick the fabric, either yardage or FQs -- although I have used a few layer cakes. E.g. the Herringbone Quilt. (See my albums.) I bought one JR that was way too thin. I used only part of it on a baby quilt; the rest still is in my stash. Also, it ended up being wider than 2.5", so that created a problem.

I mostly use white for either sashings or borders, not in the blocks themselves. I have used Kona Snow which is more of a light cream color. I really like the Grunge fabrics. They're a bit thicker & have subdued colors in them so they are not real white.

In the end, it's really quilter's choice.

Comment

Working...
                      X