Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Question Quilt Steering Committee

A torch is being passed in our community. An older lady who has headed up our quilt hop (a display of quilts all over town, bringing in tourists), has decided too scale back her efforts. I have been asked to assist with the steering committee. As quilters, what do you want to see when you have an outing, and have an hour drive? Besides beautiful quilts, what do you desire to do? Learn? Shop? Teach? As non quilters, what do you want to see (a question for the hubsters)?
    This year I learned ladies want to learn other textile arts. Tatting was a big hit and I will probably do it again. Anyone interested in bobbin lace? Spinning yarn? Knitting? ??? What else?
    Blogging ahead.....research in quilting and sewing with a dab of cooking/recipes too.

https://myquiltprojects.wordpress.com/

https://thecookbookproject.wordpress.com/

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Quilt Steering Committee

What do I want to see when I have a quilting outing, and have an hour drive?

I want to see something that I can't see on the internet. When I go to a quilt show I am paying the most attention to the quilting itself, the actual thread work. Pictures on the internet can't capture the thread work.

I am looking for quilts that create an emotional impact. I look at the quilt and say what is it saying and how did the creator get the quilt to say something.

I am looking for inspiration.

A quilt doesn't have to be complex or intricate to meet any of these criteria. Something like a Gees Bend quilt. Simple, but emotionally stunning.

What would I like to learn. How to quilt a quilt top. What motifs to go where. How to travel from motif to motif. What are the effects of different thread. Can I really see the difference the thread makes if I step back more than three feet?

Shopping. Always. I am specifically looking for items where the shipping cost is more than the item, like marking pencils, stencils, and thread.
    Stash Treasure Acquisitions Beyond Life Expectancy. My stash keeps me STABLE, oh yeah.... and dark chocolate.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Stunning to simple quilts so I can be inspired and also help me realize I am doing a pretty good job myself.
    A shopping opportunity for fabric or notions.

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Are some of the displays outdoors? If so, shade and some seating.
    If there are some other small businesses that would “host” a display, they might also display their goods. Not necessarily textile related, I’m thinking wine bar, jewelry store, bakery.
    Heather