Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Anybody have weird reactions to shingles vax?

I got both my shingles shots a few months apart and my only side effect was soreness at the site for 2-3 days. Took aspirin, was fine. Well yesterday my dh got shot #1 and about 8 hrs later his ankle swelled up so bad he couldn't even walk on it and it was very painful. After sleeping all night, this morning it was just fine. I Googled side effects and one was "joint pain" which I took to mean that was possibly the problem. About 10 days ago he got a bee sting on that same ankle that swelled up. At the time of the sting it itched and burned for a few hours but did not swell up. We are having trouble figuring out if the swollen ankle is from the shot or delayed reaction to the bee sting, (he is not allergic to bees). Is there even such a thing as a delayed reaction over a week later?Does anyone have any ideas on this?

Quilting Royalty

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Anybody have weird reactions to shingles vax?

When DH and I got ours, the most remarkable effect was pain at the injection site - it was impressive. We both had a case of the achies with joint pain, but no swelling of any joints. I've never heard of a delayed reaction to a sting...

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

I think some reactions can come later. depends on if more medication taking would result in that. Call your Doctor's office and ask questions on this. Take care!

4. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I wonder if the bee sting had an effect on his ankle that was only triggered by the vaccine. Maybe the histamine levels stayed high in the sting site, but were manageable until the shot lowered his resistance? This would be a good question to ask a Dr, but I doubt if one would take the time to give you an informed answer, as busy as most are now days.

Quilting Royalty

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like the bee venom and the vaccine may not be a good combo for his system

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I am deathly allergic to bee venom. (Fortunately, I haven't been stung since I was 21 years old, but this allergy never goes away.) Reaction to a bee sting is very quick; someone like me can die within 20 minutes. My doctors have never warned me that there could be a reoccurrence a week later.

Having said that, I think Snip Snip has proposed a good theory, that the tissues in your husband's ankle were still kind of on high alert and the shingles vaccine brought on a reoccurrence of the swelling.

I suggest talking to your pharmacist about this reaction. I find that pharmacists are much more prone to be chatty and informative; they're not getting paid by the hour, they're getting paid based on the number of prescriptions filled. They tend to enjoy actually interacting with patients.

No matter what, it is important to let your husband's doctor know about this reaction.
    Toni ... If I keep sewing long enough, will they make their own dinner?

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Swollen ankles can mean lots of things. I don't think the reaction to the shot was normal. I'm by no means a medical professional, but found this when I googled

Zostavax: Additional reported side effects are a potentially serious allergic reaction that may involve difficulty in breathing or swallowing, hives at the injection site, chickenpox, fever, joint or muscle pain, nausea, and rash. Swollen glands near the injection site that last a few days to a few weeks may also occur.

Shingrix: While severe allergic reactions are less common, they may range from hives, swelling of the face and throat, and difficulty breathing to a fast heartbeat, dizziness, and weakness.... the single contraindication to receiving the second dose is a severe allergic reaction, such as anaphylaxis, to the vaccine or any component of the vaccine.
    Source: https://www.drugtopics.com/shingles-...ngles-vaccines

I would talk to dr. before he has 2nd shot.
    Heather

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

My DH & I got our shingles shot on the same day. He was really tired for a couple of days & improved greatly from then on. I, on the other hand, could barely get dressed. DH suggested we go for a ride in the country (one of our fav pastimes), but my fatigue was so awful! It was the exact kind I had following chemo treatments. I just cried & told Jerry I thought I'd never feel that bad again. This only happened after the 1st shot. Not too bad on the second. Don't know what the meds were.

Gina

Batting Beauty

Post Thanks / Like

I had a reaction after the second shot, but not the first. Well my arm was very sore but I got three shots in the same arm on the same day so I would expect that. But after the 2nd shot (only one this time) I was so tired I spent the next three days in bed, no appetite either.
    Nancy

Psalm 126:3 The LORD has done great things for us, and we are filled with joy.