• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Laurie B
    Beginning Stitcher
    • May 2018

Janome 6650 Craft Computerized Machine

I’m considering purchase of a Janome 6650 Quilting & Sewing Machine from Costco to replace my little old Brother because I would like a larger throat. Does anyone have any wisdom for me?
  • Squeaky
    Applique Angel
    • Aug 2012

Re: Janome 6650 Craft Computerized Machine

Ooh, my wallet might be in trouble now!
    I had seen this machine at the local sewing store but it had a hefty price tag (MSRP) and I just couldn't see myself spending that much when I already have a machine (or three) that work fine. As a Costco member and at the price they have on it I might just be able to swing it. Though I've not sewn on it, my feeling is that it has the space and stability (all metal, heavy machine) that my Brother PQ1500 straight stitch does but adds all of the other stitches that my (non-favorite) all-around sewing machine has with zig-zags, button holes, a simple alphabet, etc.

Looking forward to hearing any reviews and first-hand experience from the crowd.

Comment

• GuitarGramma
      Missouri Star
      • Apr 2012

I'm pretty loyal to Janome machines (although I do own a Brother embroidery-only machine). Janome's are built to last. Their skeleton is all metal, so nothing warps and everything stays where it's supposed to. I do find that Janome likes Janome needles, but I've been told by a Janome instructor that Janome is calibrated to work with Organ brand needles. I haven't tried Organ yet, as I'm heavily invested in Janome Blue Tip needles.

In general, you can't go wrong with a Janome, especially if you baby its preference in needles. I do have one minor issue with my Janome Skyline S7. I love the Satinedge after-market foot by Creative Feet/Clare Rowley, but when I use it on my Skyline, I have skipped stitches like you wouldn't believe. The Satinedge worked just fine with my old Janome 11000 and with my new Janome 15000, just not on the Skyline. I think it's again part of Janome being perfectly calibrated to its own bobbins/needles/feet/etc. Other than that, I have no complaints about Janome.

Let us know what you do!
      Toni (Southern California) ... If I keep sewing long enough, will they make their own dinner?

Comment

• Carolyn
        The Guild President
        • Jul 2013

That is a really good price. I too am a loyal Janome person, for the above mentioned reasons and a few more. It should be a live time machine. I am able to use Organ & Schmetz needles without problems with the exception of the micro tips. I would suggest you add a screen protector, I am very glad I added one to mine. Maybe they should start coming with one.
        sigpic

Comment

• Murphy224
          Applique Angel
          • Feb 2016

Another Janome fan here....have 3 one of which is the 6600 so was curious about the 6650. Seems it is very very close to the new 6700. And is a 9mm machine as opposed to the 6600 which is a 7mm.
          Don't think you could go wrong with a Janome, absolutely no problems with any of mine.
          Here is a link to the Janome website that allows a comparison of machines.....

Comment

• Jean Sewing Machine
            Missouri Star
            • Jan 2012

Wow! I'm not a Costco member, but my curiosity is raised on this! Might just investigate that option just for the sewing machine! I had a 6600 years ago, it was a very good machine, and I'd go back to it in a heartbeat, but not at the prices of the 6700!

Comment

• Bubby
              Missouri Star
              • Jun 2011

I have used only Janome machines for the last 30+ years. I love them all and haven't gotten rid of any of my older ones when I upgraded. Currently my machine is the Janome Memory Craft 12000 and I LOVE it. All of my Janome machines have used all types of needles with no issues.
              sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

• MAMSAN
                Quilting Guru
                • Jul 2019

I love my 6600. Have had it for about 10 years now. Sews everything from very light weight fabric to heavy denim....even replaced a zipper in a heavy canvas bag. I'm kind of looking at the other Janome machines, as I would like more decorative stitches especially the serpentine stitch that's programed in, in some of the newer machines. Although, I've quilted larger quilts with straight stitch, I do mostly quilts for kids/babies now. Since, breaking my arm the smaller quilts are much easier to move around.
                My machine has issues with bobbins... brands of needles or thread don't bother, but oh dear don't let a generic class 15 bobbin get in the bobbin case....all sorts of things happen.
                I will look at the link comparing the various janome machines that was posted.
                kathy

Comment

• MAMSAN
                  Quilting Guru
                  • Jul 2019

Originally posted by Jean Sewing Machine View Post
                  Wow! I'm not a Costco member, but my curiosity is raised on this! Might just investigate that option just for the sewing machine! I had a 6600 years ago, it was a very good machine, and I'd go back to it in a heartbeat, but not at the prices of the 6700!
                  Yes ,the 6600 seems to have held it's value and then some. I paid about $1900 for mine, with all the stuff even the table. Saw a 6600 in a shop a year or so ago $2800.
                  Kathy

Comment

• sewUK
                    Designer Diva
                    • Jun 2014

Laurie - Sorry to butt in on your question and I'm sorry I have no advice or recommendations for you as I have a similar query so if anyone can also suggest a machine for me I'd be grateful. I'm looking for a wide throat machine but it seems quite a few that I've found have straight stitch only. I don't want all the fancy stitches just zigzag and the rest. Unfortunately, in the UK we have all the usual makes but don't seem to have as big a choice as in the USA. Thanks for any help and good luck Laurie

Comment

• Jean Sewing Machine
                      Missouri Star
                      • Jan 2012

Originally posted by MAMSAN View Post
                      Yes ,the 6600 seems to have held it's value and then some. I paid about $1900 for mine, with all the stuff even the table. Saw a 6600 in a shop a year or so ago $2800.
                      Kathy
                      Wow! That is incredible! My Janome dealer ( for 25 years!) retired a couple of years ago and I can't find another one with his stock of machines. I bought a Janome 1600 clone (Singer S16) 4 years ago, and needed that wonderful Janome table, the table cost more than the machine! They all seem to be skyrocketing in price, but are all good machines.

Comment

• MAMSAN
                        Quilting Guru
                        • Jul 2019

I love that table. Hard to believe the table cost so much now. When I first saw the machine with the table, one of gals in the shop who was trying hard to sell me the set up, told me the table was $200. My curiosity has got me now. I'm going to find the receipt for the machine and see if it was itemized. But I have everything that was an accessory.
                        I will be visiting the store were I saw the $2800 machine soon, so I will be definitely looking to see what you get for that kind of money.
                        Kathy

Comment

• Sarah9910
                          Shiny Thimble
                          • Oct 2019

I'm considering this machine too, I can't find how much of a discount this really is, can anyone help? Are we talking $200.00 off MSRP if purchased from Costco?

Comment

• GuitarGramma
                            Missouri Star
                            • Apr 2012

Hi Sarah,

I tried signing in to my old Costco account, but they won't give me a price without a current membership number. But I did pick up a clue! I searched on Janome, and I had the choice of $1-$999 or $1000-$2000. So my guess is that the 6650 is under $2000.

I hope that helps a bit.
                            Toni (Southern California) ... If I keep sewing long enough, will they make their own dinner?

Comment

• Jean Sewing Machine
                              Missouri Star
                              • Jan 2012

My DIL looked up the machine and it is $1699. The problem is that regular Janome dealers won't service it ( they have some strict dealership rules on machines sold outside of their regular stores). I won't buy a machine that expensive without dealer support. So the machines similar that dealers sell is the 6700, which is a bit higher in price.

Comment

Working...
                              X