Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Block Queen

Post Thanks / Like

Default ideal temperature

Does anyone know the ideal temperature range for a computerized sewing machine? I have my machine in a garage loft during the summer at camp in Northern NYS. It is non-insulated and it does get hot at times (we have a big noisy fan) - I just don't want to fry my machine!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: ideal temperature

I understand your concern but I don't really know. I would also be concerned about the humidity as much as the temperature. Maybe Google it?

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I'd contact the manufacturer or a reputable repair person in your area. Do you have someone you'd take your baby to the spa to get cleaned and tuned up?
    Katrina

“Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.”
    ― Maya Angelou

Block Queen

Post Thanks / Like

Generally speaking, if you don't want to be in a particular temperature, neither does your machine. The cyclical heating and cooling are not good for the electronic components, metal parts or plastic used for coverings, and can cause warping, cracking and the formation of condensation. And as far as I know, sewing machines do not have fans that can be used to keep the internal temps steady. Most modern sewing machines are just computers with a needle.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Electronics do not do well in extreme heat or cold. Your attic could reach temperatures over 150 degrees in the summer. Humidity is just as bad. Please store your machine somewhere in your home other than the attic.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sharyn J View Post
    Electronics do not do well in extreme heat or cold. Your attic could reach temperatures over 150 degrees in the summer. Humidity is just as bad. Please store your machine somewhere in your home other than the attic.
    Absolutely, do it, please!
    “Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt.” ― John Muir
    “We can be many things in this life, choose to be kind!” ― author unknown