• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Monique
    Missouri Star
    • Jan 2011

It's Tuesday

Good morning friends. It is a tad chilly sitting here this morning, my feet are cold. It was a hot day yesterday but windy so I decided to do a load and hang it outside. It dried nicely.

In puttered around in the sewing room. I had picked up a tablecloth with cloth napkins that was being given away. They were washed a while ago and sitting in a laundry basket, so I decided to cut them up into usable squares. Then I got caught up with cutting scraps.

I was also organizing my projects for the SS swap. I have all but one nailed down. I am not sure if those will get started today or not or if I will wait until the menfolk are away.

The van is going into the shop today for a repair so I won't be going anywhere today.

Getting excited for our upcoming trip to PEI. I will also start packing stuff while hubby is away in the next couple of days. Our campsite is booked.

Well that's it for today. Have a wonderful day no matter what you do today.
    Blessed are the children of the piecemakers for they shall inherit the quilts!
  • baslp
    The Guild President
    • Sep 2012

Re: It's Tuesday

Good morning. A hot and sticky start to our day here. I finished quilting the baby quilt yesterday. Now to tackle the binding in between getting a haircut and a neck massage.

We are making a 4 hr trek on Thursday to get a frosted white pug puppy. We are keeping the name the breeders gave her- Catherine ( also my DH mom’s name.). Hopefully she will adjust quickly to our rambunctious pack . I have been getting the house ready for a puppy once again. It has been 6 yrs since we have brought a puppy home.

Have a good day.
    Beth

Comment

• dwil23
      Missouri Star
      • May 2012

A little jealous of your chill! It has at least been raining - a LOT here, so temps haven't been as bad as they could be. I just love cutting up scraps - I could spend days doing just that.

Hope you have a great time on PEI and everyone else - have a Blessed Day!
      Donna

Comment

• Bubby
        Missouri Star
        • Jun 2011

Good Morning....It's going to be blistering hot again today. We had storms and lots of rain yesterday so we have ultra high humidity.

I have a small update on my BIL and SIL whose house exploded a few days ago. My SIL had a light stroke and she should be fine. The kids are being taken care of near their new home in Jefferson City so they don't miss school. Thanks to everyone who has prayed for our family.

My GF Janice has a birthday this week so I will be taking her to lunch today. We haven't been able to get together much lately so I'm really looking forward to seeing her.

Beth, how exciting about your new pup!!!! Puppies really bring new life to a household. Can't wait to see a picture of your baby.

Wishing everyone a great day.....with Hugs, of course.
        Last edited by Bubby; August 20, 2019, 05:43 AM.
        sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

• KPH
          Missouri Star
          • Feb 2015

Good Morning All,

Yesterday was pretty calm until around 10:30 when Pepper started whining. I finally got her settled at the head of the bed where I could lay my hand on her back and she dozed off. The 110 news went off and we had a whopper of a thunderstorm blow over. I have black out shades that pull up from the bottom. I only leave a small space at the top for light to shine through, because of the exit ramp lights behind the house. The lightening bolts put those big lights to shame! I'm sure I'll have to straighten pictures this morning, because the thunder shook the house! Pepper gently snored through the whole thing! I stayed up and watched a couple of videos on my tablet thinking she'd wake and be upset. lol, Guess I got fooled!

Pepper doesn't like the squirrels! She doesn't mind the birds, and the birds don't seem to mind her sitting at the sliding glass door. All in all she's been a pretty good house guest, but I'm ready for her to go home so I can get back to doing things in my sewing room. Next week, school will be in. Zeke will be here two days, Jonathan will be here two. I guess I won't get to see a lot of Esther, since she's going to free pre-K at a day care center between their house and Nana's.

Friday, I start my first mobility class with the long white cane. I'm excited. The kids keep telling me it's not to beat people out of my way. I think it will be nice to not run into posts, or find the step downs at curbs without having to stop and study. Being in a crowd isn't one of my favorite things, so it will give me more personal space in front of me. People don't realize I can't see them unless they're right in front of me. So when they cut in closely, it scares the bejezus out of me!

I hope everyone has a great day!
          Katrina
          From NC, retired in FL
          “Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.” Maya Angelou

Comment

• JCY
            Missouri Star
            • Jul 2013

Good Morning, Everyone ~ Hot - hot - hot here! Our high temp. yest. was 102, which broke the record for this date. Denver broke their high temp. record, too. It was 99. Today is expected to another hot one, but maybe just a few deg. cooler than yest. On Wed. a chance of rain & cooler temps. I'll take it.

I talked to the mattress store yest. & had several questions answered. I haven't made the final decision on these mattresses. I also browsed on line for deep pocket sheets; they are going to be an added expense.

I put in ~50 min. of sewing yest., making more rail fence blocks. The pieces are laid out on the floor. I have 6 - 6.5" blocks yet to fill in. I hope to get more house cleaning done today.

Monique & Suzanne ~ It looks like you're both headed to PEI. Enjoy your trips.

Barb ~ I found the news item on line about the house explosion. So thankful no one was inside at the time. I hope all the firefighters are ok. Kudos to our volunteer firefighters.

Comment

• minipinlady
              Missouri Star
              • Dec 2018

Good Morning Everyone =)
              I have 3 mini pins and they love chasing squirrels. They are not growling or mean to the squirrels, they just appreciate the chase. I always make a fuss of what good watch dogs they are. Given they were bred to kill rats, it's understandable they have an instinct to keep the yard clear. The birds know the sound of my door opening so they just stay in the feeders or fly to the fence top.
              A trip to the maritimes at this time of year would be lovely. I loved Nova Scotia for the 20 odd years I lived there. Have a wonderful time on your vacations.
              Getting used to a cane will be an adventure in itself. Personally having something to El-kabong the rude people with, would be a huge temptation for me. I have little confrontation skills but I can dream, lol. Will keep you in good thoughts.
              Hopefully today I accomplish more than yesterday. Yesterday was a "Sweet Nothing " day, I drank tea and spent time on the laptop. After 2 days in the kitchen, it was nice to do nothing. Time to go fill the bird feeders and make a 2nd breakfast ( another tea ). Enjoy your day.

Comment

• Navy Wife
                Missouri Star
                • Dec 2013

It's hot in TN also. 97 yesterday, and the same or higher today. DH and I went to Knoxville in search of a comfortable chair for me. I'm short and most furniture is just too big. I either sit with legs straight out or slump down so they can reach the floor. I found one! And it's a recliner! So all you shorties, don't give up. Anyway, it will take 4 to 6 weeks for it to get here since I chose s special color.

Today I have to clean my kitchen. It's not that dirty, but cluttered with "stuff" on the counters. My whole house is like that, but I'm gradually getting rid of the stuff. When you've been married nearly 64 years, you do accumulate so much. I'm going to repaint and redecorate as I go along. Probably will be doing this for at least a year! The house isn't that big, but it is a mess, and I'm very slow!

Comment

• SuzanneOrleansOntario
                  Missouri Star
                  • Aug 2015

Good morning,
                  Wow, I had a good night's sleep over 8hrs. Bonus! I have been getting sharp pains on my right side. I think I pulled a muscle in the groin yesterday when I acrried the cases of wine to put away. I was also in the floor organizing them on lower shelves, when I got these awful toe cramps and had trouble getting up. Gravity is not my friend, and I don't like crawling around near the ground. DH says I should take it easy - no way.

Yesterday I finished adding 4 borders on a VQC donated top. Now it's the size we need, so I can sandwich it, and it can join the quilt queue. I will start quilting the other one sandwiched last week. My DD is on vacation but this week, they are at home then visiting her cousin and family hours away. They usually visit in summer. The oldest goes back to school next week and his sister has a staggered start next week. She is so excited and ready for pre-k. My son's pink eyes are getting better. I haven't heard but he was seeing his doctor last night to see if/when he can return to work. I have been forcing myself to keep my new glasses on all day. They are comfy but I've always hated wearing them. It's a hard habit to break wearing them on my head!

Monique - looks like we may be crossing paths. Beth - how fun a new puppy. Katrina - it sounds like you are ready for your paws guest to go home. I love dogs, but I prefer cats. Barb - it sounds like things are on the mend. Joy - I could not take such heat without a/c. Minipinlady - I love the GF recipes you posted. DH & SIL should limit gluten. I think I will definitely try the bacon biscuits.

Enjoy your day, stay cool, stay dry and be safe.
                  Enjoy life and do what makes you happy. Everything else will follow.

Comment

• Claire Hallman
                    Missouri Star
                    • Jun 2011

How exciting to have a new pug puppy, they are wonderful dogs. Ours is the most loving and happy but rambunctious girl. She is great until we have company then she goes bonkers with joy.
                    I started to lay out a queen size quilt on point, wow, that is crazy but I think it will be beautiful. A word of warning, don't use a directional print with the new Donna Jordan bead quilt, sort of a nightmare. It will work out but I was scared for a while.
                    Claire from Pelham, Alabama

Comment

• GuitarGramma
                      Missouri Star
                      • Apr 2012

I finished a pretty yellow polka dot valence over the weekend, and then I realized that a bed skirt out of the same fabric would be adorable. When I told my husband this idea, he showed great wisdom and said, "You better get back to the fabric store right now." What a wonderful husband he is! Back I went, and they had exactly the right amount of fabric left on the bolt. Whew!

I am now almost really retired. My retirement date was June 30, but I needed to finish up the financial reports from the fiscal year. This is a joint effort between me and the company bookkeeper, and unfortunately we hadn't taken any checkpoints together during the year. Figuring out why her categories didn't match mine was a major, major effort. But we did it, and I finished my final report last week! This—oh happy day—was why I could just jump in the car and head back to the fabric store!

I'm looking forward to starting that bed skirt today!
                      Toni (Southern California) ... If I keep sewing long enough, will they make their own dinner?

Comment

• JCY
                        Missouri Star
                        • Jul 2013

Suzanne ~ We do not have A/C, but we have the evaporative cooler -- commonly known as a swamp cooler -- which keeps the house quite comfortable. In fact, sometimes it actually feels too cool for me & I have to put on a sweater. I usually cover my legs with a fleece throw when I sit in the recliner. I posted pics a few years ago when we had the new unit installed. It is so much more efficient & more quiet than our old one was, which we'd had for >20 yrs.

At one time we got an estimate of what it would cost for A/C. Our electric panel box is wired only for 110, not 220, so it would be costly to have a new panel put in, run wiring across our finished bsmt. to the utility room where the furnace is. Plus the cost of a new furnace with A/C. We could buy several new swamp coolers for the price of all that. Plus -- we like having the fresh air rather than having the house all closed up. Swamp coolers run on reg. current, so the cost of operation is much cheaper than A/C would be. With our thinner atmosphere (we're almost a mile high), the temps. heat up & cool down more quickly. In the a.m. it might be 60 deg., but the late p.m. temp. could be 100. Usually, at night, it cools off enough to run the unit on air only, without the water cooling. We also use several fans to circulate the cool air, push it down the hallway to the bedrooms, etc. It works for us.

Swamp coolers work well in our dry climate. Sometimes the humidity is only 10-15%. It does add some moisture to the house interior, but that is acceptable.

DH used to do all the maintenance of the swamp cooler -- start up in the spring, draining/disconnecting the water, closing it up for winter in the fall, but he's been unable to do that the past few years, so we hire it done. It really bothers him that he can't do the things he used to do, but we deal with life like it is & take things one day at a time. Aging definitely isn't for sissies.

Comment

Working...
                        X