• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Boondockslongarm
    Beginning Stitcher
    • Nov 2018

Onward-Restart after Mom's passing

After over a month since my Mom passed, me and my wife spent some time together this weekend and we are relearning some of what we forgot and I Longarm quilted one of Mom's left over UFO's.
    We got the accuquilter fired up too and made up a bunch of binding strips for the quilts that have sat for months needing to be finished.

It's a slow start, and at times we both shed some tears as we remember Mom. We also do a lot of hugging and smiles as we discover the next new small thing on this path.

Here I am with the recent quilt on the machine:
    BoondocksRestart.jpg
  • Simply Quilting
    Missouri Star
    • Dec 2013

Re: Onward-Restart after Mom's passing

{{Hugs}} I am glad that you are able to get some of her projects finished up. There is something special about working on a project that your family member started.

Comment

• Monique
      Missouri Star
      • Jan 2011

So sorry for your loss. What a wonderful thing you and your wife are doing.
      Blessed are the children of the piecemakers for they shall inherit the quilts!

Comment

• jjkaiser
        Missouri Star
        • Oct 2013

Good for you moving forward just a little. While it will feel good to complete some quilts your Mom started, don't be too hard on yourself if you find you can't sleep under them right away. It can be pretty emotional and you might have to store them in a closet for awhile. Thanks for the update.
        Jocelyn
        South Milwaukee, Wisconsin

Comment

• GuitarGramma
          Missouri Star
          • Apr 2012

So glad to know that you are able to take your first baby steps on this tough journey. Blessings to you and your wife.
          Toni (Southern California) ... If I keep sewing long enough, will they make their own dinner?

Comment

• JCY
            Missouri Star
            • Jul 2013

Wishing you the best. Cherish the memories of your mom. It does get easier as time goes by. God bless.

Comment

• Boondockslongarm
              Beginning Stitcher
              • Nov 2018

Originally posted by jjkaiser View Post
              Good for you moving forward just a little. While it will feel good to complete some quilts your Mom started, don't be too hard on yourself if you find you can't sleep under them right away. It can be pretty emotional and you might have to store them in a closet for awhile. Thanks for the update.
              Oh, we have bunches of Mom's finished quilts already. These are being finished to sell, with Mom's previous blessings. She helped me price them when she was still well enough. A couple will not be sold, especially the last UFO she was working on that has 796 squares. Some of that is done, but there is a lot more to do. That one stays with us when done!

Thanks to all who have posted blessings so far. It means a lot.
              Mark

Comment

• KPH
                Missouri Star
                • Feb 2015

It's a great way to honor your mom.
                Katrina
                From NC, retired in FL
                “Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.” Maya Angelou

Comment

• KarenC
                  Missouri Star
                  • Apr 2015

Blessings to you, enjoy the memories during the process.
                  Karen
                  Spring, TX

Comment

• Snip Snip
                    Missouri Star
                    • Sep 2014

I think it will get easier to remember her and work on her projects as time goes by. Hopefully you and your wife had a good relationship with her so most of the memories are tinged with happiness and not regret.
                    And I think it is great that you two have a hobby/job that you can work on together.

Comment

• Boondockslongarm
                      Beginning Stitcher
                      • Nov 2018

Originally posted by Snip Snip View Post
                      I think it will get easier to remember her and work on her projects as time goes by. Hopefully you and your wife had a good relationship with her so most of the memories are tinged with happiness and not regret.
                      And I think it is great that you two have a hobby/job that you can work on together.
                      Well...it was more of Mom's hobby than ours. We got some interest last year when we all discussed trying to start a local long arm business. So we bought a Gammill longarm last fall and I learned how to do edge to edge on it. That was before Mom was diagnosed with cancer last December.

I have had a little interest in quilts, my wife would rather walk by a sewing machine than use it for the most part. She is more of a kitchen person, loves to experiment cooking.

But Mom left us a horde of material, 3 quality sewing machines that can all do embroidery, accuquilters, UFO's, etc. (That only begins to describe our "mess".) I'm sure many here would love to have inherited this.

So, we are seeing how far I can take it. I have a little ability to sew a straight line. I would rather fix old tractors or run a bandsaw saw mill than this. But, it's what is here.

Comment

Working...
                      X