Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Gluten free

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Gluten free

Will you be my BFF? I've been gluten free for five years! Your posts are a treasure chest of YUM!
    Toni ... If I keep sewing long enough, will they make their own dinner?

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for sharing! My DIL's grandmother (Nana) is living gluten free. So it will be nice to have some things that she can enjoy!
    Katrina

“Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.”
    ― Maya Angelou

Quilting Royalty

Post Thanks / Like

I was doing good on GF for a while, but the last few months I have been trying to get back on track. It was easier to give up wheat the first then, it is the second time. My son has been GF for years. He gave me a book called "Wheat Belly". For a year I wouldn't read it since I never bothered with fad eating styles. When my blood sugar started getting to warnings, and I was fatigued all the time, I finally read the book. Once I was gluten free, my blood sugar was wonderful normal again, I lost weight with out trying and I felt energetic and good. So I am back to the square one, because I didn't stick with it. These recipes came from a recipe book called "Cooking With Coconut Flour" by Bruce Fife N.D. Finally a GF book that is a good book. My son works a lot so I try to make things he can enjoy. I have tried a lot of these recipes and I can tell you the almond cookies are absolutely wonderful, and the chocolate cookies are the biggest hit around here. Really glad you all like the recipes, can't wait to hear about the cookies you liked best. At the moment I have a baggie of the almond cookies here in the sewing room =)

4. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    Quilting Royalty

Post Thanks / Like

RICE FLOUR JAM COOKIES ***
    Mix together 1/2 cup butter with 1/2 cup sugar until light and creamy. Add 1 egg and 1 tsp. vanilla and mix well.
    In a separate bowl combine 1 and 1/2 cup rice flour, 1/4 tsp. baking soda, 1/4 tsp. baking powder, a pinch of salt. Mix dry ingredients in with other ingredients.
    Gently knead dough till it smooths out. Make into one inch balls and place 2 inches apart on a greased baking sheet ( parchment paper is a lot easier ). Use a finger to make an indent in each ball of dough that has been pressed down lightly. Fill indent with half a tsp of your favorite jam. Bake until golden in a 350F ( 180C ) oven. Cool before removing from baking sheet.
    PS I used almond extract instead of vanilla. Given the ingredients, I would think whatever your favorite extract is, would work well as long as it compliments your jam choice =)
    Last edited by minipinlady; August 20th, 2019 at 02:32 AM.

6. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    Quilting Royalty

Post Thanks / Like

***CRANBERRY SAUCE***
    I love this sauce and I never liked cranberry sauce before I made this for my son. This sauce freezes well.
    3 cups fresh or frozen cranberries
    1 cup of orange juice or cranberry juice
    1/2 cup of sugar
    1/2 cup brown sugar
    1/2 cup dried cherries ( I omitted when I made this, I had forgotten to buy some. Now I know I like it this way, I never tried it with the cherries. )
    Rinse and drain cranberries. In a large saucepan, bring all ingredients to a boil. Reduce heat to medium and simmer uncovered until cranberries open up and sauce thickens ( about ten min. ) Spoon off any foam. Cool to room temp. and Enjoy =)

8. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    Quilting Royalty

Post Thanks / Like

COCONUT MACAROONS ***
    1 and 1/3 cups shredded coconut
    1/3 cup sugar
    2 tbsp. rice flour
    2 egg whites
    1/2 tsp. almond extract
    Preheat oven to 350F. Beat egg whites until stiff, then add in extract. Add in the dry ingredients . Drop by spoonful on greased baking sheet. Bake for about 25 min or until golden.

10. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    Quilting Royalty

Post Thanks / Like

Last but not least...We can't forget our loyal and loving companions. Given the dog food deaths and scares, this is the homemade dog treats I make for my sweeties, and for my son's Doberman Copper.
    ***GLUTEN FREE DOG BISCUITS***
    2 and 1/2 cups coconut flour ( rice flour can also be used )
    2 tbsp. flax seeds
    2 extra large eggs
    3/4 cup pure pumpkin
    1/4 cup water ( I had to use more than that ) . Mix all together , leaving flour as last ingredient to be added in. Spread out dough on a greased baking sheet. Bake at 350F for 35 to 45 min or until golden brown. I doubled the recipe to fill a rectangle baking sheet. I also cut the squares with a butter knife before they were baked. That made it easy to break them apart when cooled. If your dog loves peanut butter or honey, you can spread a thin amount across the top before baking. I have mini pins so they only eat these when there is no lasagna or beef barley soup to be had...LOL
    Last edited by minipinlady; August 20th, 2019 at 03:03 AM.

Applique Angel

Post Thanks / Like

thanks for all the recipes
    reading, which i would not of thought to look without your post.
    https://coconutfactsandfood.blogspot...-by-bruce.html
    Coconut flour behaves very differently from other flours. It cannot be substituted entirely for wheat flour in standard recipes, and it needs to be combined with wheat, rye, or oat flour.
    am not sure if your aware of copy write law but posting recipes from a book is normally forbidden even in the best of intention
    from post 13
    These recipes came from a recipe book called Cooking With Coconut Flour" by Bruce Fife N.D.
    cooking with coconut flour
    "Coconut cures" by Bruce Fife N.D.
    if press 'look inside' in the link it does actually say. dont want you to get into any trouble, because it was extremely kind of you to do all this
    am also pleased to learn it has helped you
    hugs T
    Last edited by 201 Treadler; August 20th, 2019 at 04:27 PM.

Quilting Royalty

Post Thanks / Like

Sharing recipes was not something I would think of as stealing someone's book. Not all the recipes are from his book such as the rice flour ones. I know there is a glut of GF Books out there and most are not worth a penny, with awful tasting dishes. I know quite a few members here are GF and I was sharing with them. Easier to post than type each email individually. I know there are few thought police here, if they wish to complain, I am sure moderators will hear from them. As to the wheat debate I have heard them all already. I have lived long enough to know everything is arguable. If you read further you will learn about north American wheat being modified with their own little poisons. I am envious you live in a country that does not allow GMO's in your wheat corn soy etc. For those of us here, we are not given a choice , it's eat it or don't eat it.

Applique Angel

Post Thanks / Like

dear minipinlady
    please be aware was being friendly to you. thanking you for your efforts, even educating me in something did not know, and pointing out in a friendly way in-case you were not aware, I even said did not want you to get into trouble, is that not someone looking out for you?

As for our farming practises in the UK that is between the farmers and the relevant Government office, its not always greener on the other side.
    Am gluten free due to health reasons of which is not a great topic,
    a store bought cake from a gluten free section floored me last year, am still working on getting some quality of life back.
    it was the day grandad was rushed to hospital, (after rushing round to help him,), having settled him at hospital me having no food was dizzy and thought better get something from a store, thought all cakes in that section were gluten free, that cake had rhy flour in, accidents happen.
    hope we can be friends
    hugs T

15. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post