Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Quilting Guru

Post Thanks / Like

Default One Block Wonder

I have been looking at The One Block Wonder, thinking of doing one,anybody done one,choosing the fabric would be a headache but I have looked at the OBW app which would be handy in choosing fabric.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: One Block Wonder

Check them out on Pinterest. I started one, and lost interest.

Binding Belle

Post Thanks / Like

I would suggest getting the book "One Block Wonders" by Maxine Rosenthal. I just took a class and my choice of fabric was not ideal (bought before class and without all the info I should have had) but still turned out pretty good and I learned the technique. Not finished, but have founda way to save it and make a wall hanging. Now I know what to look for in a fabric to make a better choice next time.
    Do a google search of One Block Wonder quilts and see all kinds of pictures and links to help you.
    I like the process well enough and the class was very helpful in getting the technique that I have bought panels to make my next one. If you are on Facebook, there is a group called "One Block Wonder Quilt Forum" has over 20,000 members and there are lots of pictures, ideas, hints, and inspiration to get you started. This group is where I figured out how to save my less than ideal effort and end up with something I can love. Good luck!

4. Thanks Laurie B, lauthala thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

This might be helpful

One Block Wonder | How to Choose Fabric and More

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ucozM9KlXE8

Good luck

God, Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
    The stash to make a quilt to help me cope,
    A quilt to give to comfort those I love in times of hurt, fear and uncertainty.
    And the courage to keep on sewing when life itself seems held together by a single thread of hope.

6. Thanks Trudy A, Laurie B thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

One Block Wonder Design Helper

http://oneblockwonder.com/design-helper/#

This could be helpful to

God, Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
    The stash to make a quilt to help me cope,
    A quilt to give to comfort those I love in times of hurt, fear and uncertainty.
    And the courage to keep on sewing when life itself seems held together by a single thread of hope.

Batting Beauty

Post Thanks / Like

I took the easy route and started one with squares. I then snowballed the corners to give it the triangle effect but with less triangles . It is still a work in progress.

9. Thanks quiltingaway thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I don't know anything about the app. I did buy "Magic Mirrors" , you unfold the mirrors and place on the fabric in different places. It really helped me with the Stack and Whack quilts I did.

The extra benefit. the kids can use with pattern blocks to see the reflections to continue the patterns.
    Katrina

“Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.”
    ― Maya Angelou

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Once you understand the type of fabric you need and the size of the repeat is important, shopping for the fabric becomes the fun and interesting part. I recommend the book as well. Unfortunately, I started one a while back but never finished it. One helpful tip I was told is to put each finished block on paper plates. Makes it easier to move them around to arrange how you want them to look.
    I am Sew Blessed!
    Alina

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Here's my version of the one block wonder quilt. It's amazing how many different blocks you can achieve from one piece of fabric.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Purple Daze (2).jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	196.1 KB 
ID:	160384

Instead of trying to make a kazillion blocks, I chose to add triangles to the corners and then sash each block. I do recommend the magic mirror (take it with you to the fabric store) to help you choose a fabric.

13. Thanks Laurie B thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Ditto on the idea of mirrors to help choose fabrics. If you'd like to save money on the mirrors, just take two square/rectangular mirrors that are roughly the same size as each other. Align them so they make one "corner" of a square, then put that corner en pointe. Drab the corner towards you, and you'll see some of the kaleidoscopes form.

Truth be known, on my last One Block wonder, I just borrowed two mirrors from the craft section of the store. That made my investment in mirrors all of $0 !
    Toni ... If I keep sewing long enough, will they make their own dinner?

15. Thanks MSN thanked for this post