2. Thanks Bernina2 thanked for this post
    Quilting Guru

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: One Block Wonder

Quote Originally Posted by Swedish leo View Post
    One Block Wonder Design Helper

http://oneblockwonder.com/design-helper/#

This could be helpful to
    I tried that the other night just on a bit of fabric I had,it is great,I will be taking it with me wehen I go for the fabric.

Quilting Guru

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KPH View Post
    I don't know anything about the app. I did buy "Magic Mirrors" , you unfold the mirrors and place on the fabric in different places. It really helped me with the Stack and Whack quilts I did.

The extra benefit. the kids can use with pattern blocks to see the reflections to continue the patterns.
    I have a mirror for when I made a La Passagalia, as I did a fare bit of fussy cutting.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

These are pretty but I honesrly don't think I would have the patience for it. Plus it makes a very busy looking quilt and idk how you would quilt that out, most of your stitches would not even show up. Hand quilting on a very busy fabric can be a bit dizzying.

Beginning Stitcher

Post Thanks / Like

Maxine Rosenthal is the speaker at our September quilt guild meeting and is teaching a workshop, too. I borrowed her book from our local library to guide me in fabric selection. As a happy memory, I purchased my fabric on vacation at a little quilt shop in Maine, where the owner was familiar with this technique. The short list about what to look for is: colors you love, 2-3 colors (not too many); large scale design; large repeat (mine is 24”); enough fabric to retain a piece of the original to show beside your finished quilt. Good luck with your project, have fun!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Laurie B View Post
    Maxine Rosenthal is the speaker at our September quilt guild meeting and is teaching a workshop, too. I borrowed her book from our local library to guide me in fabric selection. As a happy memory, I purchased my fabric on vacation at a little quilt shop in Maine, where the owner was familiar with this technique. The short list about what to look for is: colors you love, 2-3 colors (not too many); large scale design; large repeat (mine is 24”); enough fabric to retain a piece of the original to show beside your finished quilt. Good luck with your project, have fun!
    Laurie is spot on with her guidelines. But I have to admit that I'm not too good about sticking to the "2-3 colors" rule. I did one OBW with black and white fabric, so I was a good girl that time. (Fun story: in the next book Maxine Rosenthal wrote, she used the same fabric!) But I have also made a OBW with fabric having lots of different colors. It's one of my favorite quilts ever.

Do make sure that you follow Laurie's first rule: Use colors you LOVE!
    Toni ... If I keep sewing long enough, will they make their own dinner?

8. Thanks Laurie B thanked for this post
    Quilting Guru

Post Thanks / Like

I downloaded the first OBW book, kindle on Amazon, couldn't wait for the book,really want to do this,I keep reading it,so getting the hang of it. Forgot to take my tablet down to the fabric shop today to take a few photos of fabric.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lauthala View Post
    I downloaded the first OBW book, kindle on Amazon, couldn't wait for the book,really want to do this,I keep reading it,so getting the hang of it. Forgot to take my tablet down to the fabric shop today to take a few photos of fabric.
    In that first book, some of the quilts have "cubes" worked in, but the book doesn't give directions. So I wrote to Ms. Rosenthal and she sent me the measurements. PM me if you'd like a copy.
    Toni ... If I keep sewing long enough, will they make their own dinner?