Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Beginning Stitcher

Post Thanks / Like

Default Blue dot bobbin case

Hi,
    Just curious does anyone have the blue dot bobbin case for the janome 6600P? I was told it was great,and from another user that it was a big waste of money.

Thought I'd ask here and see what other users experiences were.
    Kathy

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Blue dot bobbin case

While I don't have it, my understanding is that it has the looser tension you need for free motion quilting.
    Toni ... If I keep sewing long enough, will they make their own dinner?

Applique Angel

Post Thanks / Like

the answer
    depends on how much free motion you do, if that's the primary use of your sewing machine, then might be a good investment,
    plus it is a spare if the normal one wears out.
    then again if you do not think will do much free motion it might be worth learning, how to alter the normal case tension, back and forth.
    then again
    do you need to change the lower tension? (i have not altered my lower tension on the vintage)
    would try a free motion patch test and keep altering the upper tension till the stitches are balanced,
    if that does not occur you have your answer.

Prairie Pointer

Post Thanks / Like

Okay, here are my observations:

My sister-in-law had the Janome 6600P and had no trouble adjusting her tension for FMQ; however when I tried it on my 6300P (very similar machine) I could not get the stitches to look good without a bunch of 'eyelashes' on the back. My local shop recommended the blue dot bobbin case, so I bought it about 7 years ago. I have great stitches without making any changes at all to my machine's tension. I do, however, suggest that you change to a 90/14 needle and my Janome loves the Isacord 40 weight polyester thread. I also move my needle position over to the right a few clicks - it seems to help with the drag when I move the quilt to the left during the quilting.

In short, for the cost (I paid $25, I think), it saved me a ton of aggravation and I don't have to re-adjust any tension settings after FMQ to get back to regular sewing. Maybe you could get one locally and try it with the option of returning if it doesn't work for you?

Best of luck!
    Anne

Prairie Pointer

Post Thanks / Like

I have it and it really does help with free motion

Beginning Stitcher

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you all for your input. If I ever get to the point of FMQ, I will definitely look into buying one.
    Kathy