Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now óoró

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shiny Thimble

Post Thanks / Like

Default Missouri Star Cotton Thread

Iím hoping someone can help me with a question. First, let me apologize for such a silly and amateur question. Iím still learning. I recently purchased some Missouri Star thread and I canít figure out how to put in on my sewing machine. (Told you it was a silly question). I assumed the larger end went on the spool pin first but then the thread is coming off the spool incorrectly. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

2. Thanks Old Newbie thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Missouri Star Cotton Thread

If the thread is stacked (all the threads are parallel to each other) than thread can feed off a horizontal pin or with the proper management it can feed off a vertical pin. If the thread is cross wound (it looks like the thread is making a series of big x's on the spool) than it really wants to feed up and only up, which means it needs a vertical pin.

It looks like the Missouri Star thread is cross wound, so it really wants to feed up. If your sewing machine does not have a vertical spool pin take a really heavy coffee cup or mason jar and set the thread in that right in front of your sewing machine. The jar will force the thread to feed up into your sewing machine correctly. If you use to light a jar it may wooble around and fall off.

All question are good. We all had to learn at some point.
    Stash Treasure Acquisitions Beyond Life Expectancy. My stash keeps me STABLE, oh yeah.... and dark chocolate.

4. Thanks Old Newbie, am2901 thanked for this post
    Shiny Thimble

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you so much. I was using the horizontal pin. It’s working much better now. Thank you again!!!

Quilting Royalty

Post Thanks / Like

I just using a drinking cup that has a straw hole for the thread to pass thru'. I place it behind my sewing machine . Works great.

7. Thanks Old Newbie, sydneybean, Debbie Watters, Kgrammiecaz thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by minipinlady View Post
    I just using a drinking cup that has a straw hole for the thread to pass thru'. I place it behind my sewing machine . Works great.
    Good idea! I sometimes use a mug. My machine (Janome 12000) Didn't come with a vertical thread pin.

9. Thanks Old Newbie thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

See your question helped someone else so it wasn't a bad question.
    ATTITUDE IS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN AN ORDEAL AND AN ADVENTURE

Applique Angel

Post Thanks / Like

resolved this by
    cut open a couple of inches from bottom very tall plastic empty squash bottle leaving a hinge, cut a hole in the lid, popped the thread cone in and routed thread through lid, (placed bottle behind sewing machine) threaded through a safety pin (which was pinned through the little hole on an old bobbin, placed bobbin safety pin on spool pin with the felt washer and holder in my case a quilting peg), re-threaded machine as normal.
    once tested
    you could get crafty with the bottle to make look like a rocket, like the old washing up adverts.
    have fun which ever method you do

12. Thanks Old Newbie thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 201 Treadler View Post
    resolved this by
    cut open a couple of inches from bottom very tall plastic empty squash bottle leaving a hinge, cut a hole in the lid, popped the thread cone in and routed thread through lid, (placed bottle behind sewing machine) threaded through a safety pin (which was pinned through the little hole on an old bobbin, placed bobbin safety pin on spool pin with the felt washer and holder in my case a quilting peg), re-threaded machine as normal.
    once tested
    you could get crafty with the bottle to make look like a rocket, like the old washing up adverts.
    have fun which ever method you do
    I am having a hard time picturing this. Squash bottle? Hinge? But good to know this info on thread, I didn't know any of this and my machine only has a horizontal pin. Now I have my own dumb question: what if I just loaded this brand of thread on my machine with the horizontal pin, what would happen? I am pretty sure I have used this thread in my machine in the past. Not knowing this vertical feed was an issue so I did not use a cup or anything. But I don't recall it causing any problems. How did you even figure this out in the first place? It's not like thread comes with instructions lol.

14. Thanks Old Newbie thanked for this post
    Shiny Thimble

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you everyone. My husband was trying to help me and found a YouTube video but I think the video was showing it different. What you all have said is working so I’m going with it. Thanks again!! Your help is much appreciated.

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

You all are brilliant!