• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Brandi1
    Shiny Thimble
    • Apr 2019

Missouri Star Cotton Thread

I’m hoping someone can help me with a question. First, let me apologize for such a silly and amateur question. I’m still learning. I recently purchased some Missouri Star thread and I can’t figure out how to put in on my sewing machine. (Told you it was a silly question). I assumed the larger end went on the spool pin first but then the thread is coming off the spool incorrectly. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.
  • DeniseSm
    Missouri Star
    • Nov 2013

Re: Missouri Star Cotton Thread

If the thread is stacked (all the threads are parallel to each other) than thread can feed off a horizontal pin or with the proper management it can feed off a vertical pin. If the thread is cross wound (it looks like the thread is making a series of big x's on the spool) than it really wants to feed up and only up, which means it needs a vertical pin.

It looks like the Missouri Star thread is cross wound, so it really wants to feed up. If your sewing machine does not have a vertical spool pin take a really heavy coffee cup or mason jar and set the thread in that right in front of your sewing machine. The jar will force the thread to feed up into your sewing machine correctly. If you use to light a jar it may wooble around and fall off.

All question are good. We all had to learn at some point.
    Stash Treasure Acquisitions Beyond Life Expectancy. My stash keeps me STABLE, oh yeah.... and dark chocolate.

Comment

• Brandi1
      Shiny Thimble
      • Apr 2019

Thank you so much. I was using the horizontal pin. It’s working much better now. Thank you again!!!

Comment

• minipinlady
        Missouri Star
        • Dec 2018

I just using a drinking cup that has a straw hole for the thread to pass thru'. I place it behind my sewing machine . Works great.

Comment

• Bubby
          Missouri Star
          • Jun 2011

Originally posted by minipinlady View Post
          I just using a drinking cup that has a straw hole for the thread to pass thru'. I place it behind my sewing machine . Works great.
          Good idea! I sometimes use a mug. My machine (Janome 12000) Didn't come with a vertical thread pin.
          sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

• LauraP
            Missouri Star
            • Dec 2015

See your question helped someone else so it wasn't a bad question.
            sigpic

Comment

• 201 Treadler
              Missouri Star
              • Jan 2018

resolved this by
              cut open a couple of inches from bottom very tall plastic empty squash bottle leaving a hinge, cut a hole in the lid, popped the thread cone in and routed thread through lid, (placed bottle behind sewing machine) threaded through a safety pin (which was pinned through the little hole on an old bobbin, placed bobbin safety pin on spool pin with the felt washer and holder in my case a quilting peg), re-threaded machine as normal.
              once tested
              you could get crafty with the bottle to make look like a rocket, like the old washing up adverts.
              have fun which ever method you do
              🧵Treadler from UK 👋

Comment

• jjkaiser
                Missouri Star
                • Oct 2013

Originally posted by 201 Treadler View Post
                resolved this by
                cut open a couple of inches from bottom very tall plastic empty squash bottle leaving a hinge, cut a hole in the lid, popped the thread cone in and routed thread through lid, (placed bottle behind sewing machine) threaded through a safety pin (which was pinned through the little hole on an old bobbin, placed bobbin safety pin on spool pin with the felt washer and holder in my case a quilting peg), re-threaded machine as normal.
                once tested
                you could get crafty with the bottle to make look like a rocket, like the old washing up adverts.
                have fun which ever method you do
                I am having a hard time picturing this. Squash bottle? Hinge? But good to know this info on thread, I didn't know any of this and my machine only has a horizontal pin. Now I have my own dumb question: what if I just loaded this brand of thread on my machine with the horizontal pin, what would happen? I am pretty sure I have used this thread in my machine in the past. Not knowing this vertical feed was an issue so I did not use a cup or anything. But I don't recall it causing any problems. How did you even figure this out in the first place? It's not like thread comes with instructions lol.
                Jocelyn
                South Milwaukee, Wisconsin

Comment

• Brandi1
                  Shiny Thimble
                  • Apr 2019

Thank you everyone. My husband was trying to help me and found a YouTube video but I think the video was showing it different. What you all have said is working so I’m going with it. Thanks again!! Your help is much appreciated.

Comment

• Old Newbie
                    The Guild President
                    • Jan 2015

You all are brilliant!

Comment

• 201 Treadler
                      Missouri Star
                      • Jan 2018

am having a hard time picturing this. Squash bottle? Hinge? But good to know this info on thread, I didn't know any of this and my machine only has a horizontal pin. Now I have my own dumb question: what if I just loaded this brand of thread on my machine with the horizontal pin, what would happen? I am pretty sure I have used this thread in my machine in the past. Not knowing this vertical feed was an issue so I did not use a cup or anything. But I don't recall it causing any problems. How did you even figure this out in the first place? It's not like thread comes with instructions lol.
                      this is my fault for using terms that can confuse, so sorry about that.
                      squash bottle is short for orange squash / fruit drink in a bottle that you pour a small amount into a glass then add water,
                      the bottles are normally plastic and tall.

hinge relates to cutting round but leaving about an inch not cut, which allows the top to be bent allowing room to add the thread cone.

if the thread cone centre hole is not too large and it fits, horizontally thread should spool off, but if the thread cone hole is too large, or the width of thread cone to wide to fit on spool pin this is where you may have an issue,
                      this applies to any brand of thread.

on the 201 and 66 which was trying to set up for free motion at the time, the stitches kept going weird, it was early in the vintage sewing journey, weird was a good term, till learnt to balance the thread tensions,
                      after changing needles trying different types, hopping feet, feed dogs or not, altering tensions both upper and lower, presser foot pressure, eventually just worked through the problem,
                      it was a lucky spot seeing the thread jerk because you look at the needle foot area, not the top of machine, while sewing.

the spool pin is vertical its narrow even extending the spool pin with a plastic straw, did not resolve the jerky delivery,
                      which happens due to the way the thread pulls and stops then pulls again, which altered the tension,
                      kept making the stitches miss, hence why looked into another method of holding the thread cone,
                      being a treadle found the thread in a cup could easily be caught round the balance wheel.
                      but thread was still vulnerable to being caught round balance wheel,
                      thought about a thread stand,
                      waiting for a stand to be delivered would loose time, so used what had to hand, hence a tall bottle.
                      🧵Treadler from UK 👋

Comment

• jjkaiser
                        Missouri Star
                        • Oct 2013

Thanks 201treadler for the additional info! Gosh sewing can get pretty complicated sometimes. Luckily I don't have a serger or emb machine or I would be in way over my head on some of this stuff and would go crazy trying to figure it out.
                        Jocelyn
                        Jocelyn
                        South Milwaukee, Wisconsin

Comment

• Snip Snip
                          Missouri Star
                          • Sep 2014

Many years ago my father in law made a thread spindle for cones. (He tailored clothing and was an avid sewing machine guy) He used a 4" heavy cast metal disc with a hole in the center. He used a 5" piece of dowel rod a little larger than the hole in the disc. Whittled the end of the dowel down to fit snugly into the disc. Voila, an instant spindle. He used it for years, and I "inherited " it after his passing. Works great, and I think of him every time I use it.

Comment

• Scrapdot
                            UN-Biased
                            • Jan 2018

Fabulous question. I have been sewing a long time and never understood this concept before. No wonder I have had issues with some thread . I only have a horizontal pin so may have to try this . So on a horizontal pin should the thread come off the bottom or should the thread be coming off the top.? I never know

Comment

• just4me
                              Designer Diva
                              • Jan 2016

I feel really dismal......my machine only has a horizontal pin...... why aren't sewing machines fitted with horizontal and vertical spool pins? I'm feeling a bit grumpy that after spending serious money buying my machine I now have to improvise to give my thread a vertical release. And what about when I am winding a bobbin? Should I be using the horizontal pin with my cross wound thread when loading my bobbins or do I have to use my vertical pin improvisation for that to?? It doesn't seem fair.

Comment

Working...
                              X