Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now óoró

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Applique Angel

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Missouri Star Cotton Thread

am having a hard time picturing this. Squash bottle? Hinge? But good to know this info on thread, I didn't know any of this and my machine only has a horizontal pin. Now I have my own dumb question: what if I just loaded this brand of thread on my machine with the horizontal pin, what would happen? I am pretty sure I have used this thread in my machine in the past. Not knowing this vertical feed was an issue so I did not use a cup or anything. But I don't recall it causing any problems. How did you even figure this out in the first place? It's not like thread comes with instructions lol.
    this is my fault for using terms that can confuse, so sorry about that.
    squash bottle is short for orange squash / fruit drink in a bottle that you pour a small amount into a glass then add water,
    the bottles are normally plastic and tall.

hinge relates to cutting round but leaving about an inch not cut, which allows the top to be bent allowing room to add the thread cone.

if the thread cone centre hole is not too large and it fits, horizontally thread should spool off, but if the thread cone hole is too large, or the width of thread cone to wide to fit on spool pin this is where you may have an issue,
    this applies to any brand of thread.

on the 201 and 66 which was trying to set up for free motion at the time, the stitches kept going weird, it was early in the vintage sewing journey, weird was a good term, till learnt to balance the thread tensions,
    after changing needles trying different types, hopping feet, feed dogs or not, altering tensions both upper and lower, presser foot pressure, eventually just worked through the problem,
    it was a lucky spot seeing the thread jerk because you look at the needle foot area, not the top of machine, while sewing.

the spool pin is vertical its narrow even extending the spool pin with a plastic straw, did not resolve the jerky delivery,
    which happens due to the way the thread pulls and stops then pulls again, which altered the tension,
    kept making the stitches miss, hence why looked into another method of holding the thread cone,
    being a treadle found the thread in a cup could easily be caught round the balance wheel.
    but thread was still vulnerable to being caught round balance wheel,
    thought about a thread stand,
    waiting for a stand to be delivered would loose time, so used what had to hand, hence a tall bottle.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks 201treadler for the additional info! Gosh sewing can get pretty complicated sometimes. Luckily I don't have a serger or emb machine or I would be in way over my head on some of this stuff and would go crazy trying to figure it out.
    Jocelyn

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Many years ago my father in law made a thread spindle for cones. (He tailored clothing and was an avid sewing machine guy) He used a 4" heavy cast metal disc with a hole in the center. He used a 5" piece of dowel rod a little larger than the hole in the disc. Whittled the end of the dowel down to fit snugly into the disc. Voila, an instant spindle. He used it for years, and I "inherited " it after his passing. Works great, and I think of him every time I use it.

Honey Bun

Post Thanks / Like

Fabulous question. I have been sewing a long time and never understood this concept before. No wonder I have had issues with some thread . I only have a horizontal pin so may have to try this . So on a horizontal pin should the thread come off the bottom or should the thread be coming off the top.? I never know

Designer Diva

Post Thanks / Like

I feel really dismal......my machine only has a horizontal pin...... why aren't sewing machines fitted with horizontal and vertical spool pins? I'm feeling a bit grumpy that after spending serious money buying my machine I now have to improvise to give my thread a vertical release. And what about when I am winding a bobbin? Should I be using the horizontal pin with my cross wound thread when loading my bobbins or do I have to use my vertical pin improvisation for that to?? It doesn't seem fair.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by just4me View Post
    I feel really dismal......my machine only has a horizontal pin...... why aren't sewing machines fitted with horizontal and vertical spool pins? I'm feeling a bit grumpy that after spending serious money buying my machine I now have to improvise to give my thread a vertical release. And what about when I am winding a bobbin? Should I be using the horizontal pin with my cross wound thread when loading my bobbins or do I have to use my vertical pin improvisation for that to?? It doesn't seem fair.
    If the way you have been filling your bobbins, and sewing, for that matter, is working well for you, then I would just continue. If it's a new and expensive machine, surely the engineers who designed it would have taken into consideration the way a spool is wound. Oh, and, are you sure there's not an extra spindle in your accessory kit that could fit in a hole on top of the machine? I had a machine like that. Came with a horizontal pin, but with an extra one too.

Beginning Stitcher

Post Thanks / Like

Dritz makes a thread cone holder with a heavy metal base and a tall thread guide. I bought one years ago at Joann Fabrics that I use for all but the smallest spool sizes. I park it behind my machine and find that thread spools off easily without tangling. It has improved the stitch line.

Applique Angel

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by minipinlady View Post
    I just using a drinking cup that has a straw hole for the thread to pass thru'. I place it behind my sewing machine . Works great.
    That is a genius idea!

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

I have the one like Laurie B does. sits behind and to the right of my machine. must be heavy to not topple over. Love it!!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

A good explanation from the thread expert at Superior:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PnO5K6AA2sY
    Last edited by chelea; August 22nd, 2019 at 01:55 PM.