Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now óoró

Shiny Thimble

Post Thanks / Like

Default Polyester batting and breaking stitches

Iíve decided to go with a low loft polyester for a quilt Iím making for mom since she has severe arthritis in her hands. But I noticed that the lap quilt I made previously with the same (maybe higher loft) batting that when I pull or stretch the material, the quilting stitches break in several places. No problems with the look of the stitches. I always use the ď3Ē -3.5 on my Babylock.

Is it the batting, the quilting, or the stitching that allows the stitches to pop?

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Polyester batting and breaking stitches

How hard are you pulling or stretching the material? My first guess would be the thread.
    & welcome to the forum
    Heather

3. Thanks auntstuff thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

I use a lot of poly batting, and never have that happen.I's say the thread.
    TRUTH is seldom appreciated, unless you happen to agree with it. When you don't agree, you just call it rude.

5. Thanks ktdid thanked for this post
    Shiny Thimble

Post Thanks / Like

I’m using Aurifil 50 wt. I haven’t had this problem on any other quilts with cotton/blend batting.

Shiny Thimble

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Heather View Post
    How hard are you pulling or stretching the material? My first guess would be the thread.
    & welcome to the forum
    Thanks!
    The first time it happened I was just pulling it out from under me. Then I started purposely pulling on it to test it. Perhaps a smaller stitch?

Designer Diva

Post Thanks / Like

Hmmmm, I use Aurafil 50wt for piecing but don't generally use it for quilting as it is a thinner thread being only 2 ply as opposed to say Gutterman 50wt which is 3 ply I think. I use Aurafil 50wt to quilt if it is for a wall hanging, a table runner, dense quilting where the density of the quilting gives added support to the quilting or for something that isn't going to get much tug and shove and I do like it as it has minimal lint and gives a lovely tidy seam line for my 1/4" piecing. I do prefer a thicker thread for my general quilting of utilitarian quilts. I may be completely wrong here...just my opinion.

9. Thanks Colomac thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Well that is frustrating. I usually use 40 wt when quilting but often 50wt as well, depending on the color or what ever I have on the machine already. The only time Iíve had stitches come out like that they were under a lot of stress, like on dog quilts. Poly batt feels rougher to me so maybe it is weakening the thread? How far apart are the quilted areas?

ETA: if straight line quilting my stitch length is usually between 3-3.5
    Last edited by Heather; August 16th, 2019 at 09:32 PM. Reason: Adding stitch length
    Heather

11. Thanks Colomac thanked for this post
    Binding Belle

Post Thanks / Like

It's not the batting necessarily. Poly batt doesn't seem to "grip" the fabric the way a cotton/bend batt does. The top and back can move more in relation to one another. That will stretch the stitches. My feeling is that 50wt. cotton Aurifil is not forgiving enough. 40wt poly of some sort would be my choice.
    You gots to risk it to gets the biscuit-