Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Stitch length for dual feed foot?

I have a Baby Lock Aria and the default stitch length is 2.5. I've never changed it. But I'm going to try stitch in the ditch with my dual feed foot. Should I change the stitch length?

Jeannette

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Stitch length for dual feed foot?

Is this the large WF you plug into the back of your machine? I have it for the Crescendo and use a 2.5 stitch length with the DF foot. It works great to use to attach quilt binding to quilts. Then change to 3.0 for the final stitch down. Try a sample fabric sandwich with both lengths.

Do you have the different feet to use with it? I love the SITD and 1/4 inch guide ones.

3. Thanks CraftyJnet thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

for quilting I would go to at least 3.5 or 4
    K is for Karen .....................Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.

Before you speak,
    T - is it TRUE?
    H - is it HELPFUL?
    I - is it INSPIRING?
    N - is it NECESSARY?
    K - is it KIND?

Check my User Notes.

5. Thanks CraftyJnet thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rhonda K View Post
    Is this the large WF you plug into the back of your machine?...

Do you have the different feet to use with it? I love the SITD and 1/4 inch guide ones.
    Yes it is the large one you plug in. I bought the Stitch in the Ditch foot for it.

Rhonda and Karen, thank you for answering me. Now its time to go to town on that quilt!

Jeannette

Binding Belle

Post Thanks / Like

Stitch length numbers as expressed on modern sewing machine can be confusing to those of us who grew up with older machines especially.

The manufacturer doesn't tell you this, but the stitch length numbers on modern machines is expressed in millimeters. This is the length of (each) stitch.

The older machines, especially Singer, had it's stitch length indicator graduated in the number of stitches per inch (SPI).

This is a common difference in how the metric system, vs the "American" system measure things- fasteners in particular.

The conversion is quite simple if you are accustomed to selecting stitch length by "stitches per inch."

If you want to know how many SPI are at any setting on your dial, do a little math. There are 25.4 mm in an inch. Divide this by the number on your dial. That's the SPI measurement.

Conversely, if you want to select the length by stitches per inch- multiply the desired number by 25.4. Example- 10 stitches per inch will be 2.5 on your dial.
    You gots to risk it to gets the biscuit-

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Good to know. Thank you!!

Jeannette