Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

9 Patch Princess

Post Thanks / Like

Default Diamond Chain Pattern

I was getting ready to order supplies for Jenny's Diamond Chain quilt and decided to revisit the tutorial. She suggested making the "chain" all one color. I like that idea. My question is, for the 4 patch chain instead of a pack of multicolored charms, would I just use 1 stars charm pack for the HSTs and another solid color charm pack for the chain? The pattern calls for two charm packs. Have any of you made this quilt? Thanks.

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Diamond Chain Pattern

I think that would be right because I thought she said to use one charm pack to make the HST's and use the 2nd charm pack to make the chain. I will go back and rewatch it quickly and update this if I misunderstood.

OK - I went back and rewatched it and yes, you can use one charm pack of solids to make your chain and the other one prints. The only thing I would mention is if you do go with a solid color chain, be aware that when you join the blocks together you are going to have a large square of the solid color (a four patch of your solid color). I think it will look fine but just wanted to make sure you realized that you will not only have the "chain" as the solid but also that square when you join the blocks.

I can't wait to see it. I love this pattern and already have some fabric in mind to make this up.
    Last edited by Spiff; August 14th, 2019 at 09:25 AM.
    Debbie

Block Queen

Post Thanks / Like

I really liked that tutorial as well. I did make the blocks, and I have to say it is stunning. I just love it. I went with blues and white. I should tell you that when Jenny says square up the blocks, she knew what she was doing. I thought for that tiny bit of fabric I will rush thru and not square it up. I thought I could just eye ball it. Not so easy lining them up perfect if you don't square them up.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SAM_7598.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	167.5 KB 
ID:	160283 I have to say I have made the granny squares 3 times and they were beautiful. The Diamond Chain is gorgeous and I wish now I had squared them up. As you can see from my picture this is what happens when you try to go faster than Jenny. Meep Meep

4. Thanks Claire Hallman thanked for this post
    9 Patch Princess

Post Thanks / Like

Debbie,
    Thank you so much. I had not thought about a solid 4 patch block. Since I had planned on a dark colored chain, this probably will not work. I enlarged a photo of it to see if there was a way around the solid block and haven't found one. I guess I'll go scrappy. Thankyou so much for pointing this out.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I'm a fanatic about squaring up blocks. I want all my seams to line up as perfectly as possible. I'm not OCD, just a bit of a perfectionist, I guess.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by evy View Post
    Debbie,
    Thank you so much. I had not thought about a solid 4 patch block. Since I had planned on a dark colored chain, this probably will not work. I enlarged a photo of it to see if there was a way around the solid block and haven't found one. I guess I'll go scrappy. Thankyou so much for pointing this out.
    Evy, have you thought of using two colors for the chains, so that they cross in the middle? You could order yardage instead of charms (1/2 yard of each color) and cut your own charms, and that way you could even use yardage from the same collection as your HSTs

Block Queen

Post Thanks / Like

Perfectionists make perfect quilts. I leant my lesson on being in a hurry with beautiful quilts

9 Patch Princess

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Caroline T. View Post
    Evy, have you thought of using two colors for the chains, so that they cross in the middle? You could order yardage instead of charms (1/2 yard of each color) and cut your own charms, and that way you could even use yardage from the same collection as your HSTs
    I had not thought about two colors but does make sense. I already ordered the stars charm packs so will most likely go with that. Unless I change my mind again, which has happened before. Thanks for the suggestion.