Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Backing selvedge question

Do you have to cut the selvedge off if you are sewing two long pieces together for the backing of a quilt? I have two 110 inch pieces to sew together but first I need to deal with the selvedge, right?

Is there an easy way to approach cutting off the selvedge? Or how about a correct way to do it? How do you cut off the selvedge when you have pieces this big?

(I cut one of the pieces with a rotary cutter by shimmying up the fabric and moving it vertically on the mat. But if anyone has an easier way, please let me know.)
    Last edited by CraftyJnet; August 13th, 2019 at 06:42 PM.

Jeannette

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Backing selvedge question

I sew the two pieces together before cutting off the selvedge, using about a one inch seam (so that I'm at least 1/2 inch past the selvedge - I like wider seam allowances for my pieced backing).

I also take care to make sure that I match the left edge of one piece with the right edge of the other piece (this is extremely important with directional prints I have learned the hard way).

Then I cut using what you describe as the "shimmying up" method to cut off the selvedge.

My reasons for doing it this way:
    1. My longarm doesn't like stitching thru selvedges, especially if it also has to go thru a bulky seam
    2. Only have to cut once (two layers)
    3. I know that the edges of the fabric are pretty straight before sewing (sometimes my long cuts aren't quite so perfect)
    4. no fraying before sewing

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Cut into your fabric with a scissors about 2 inches long and about 1.5 inches away from the edge of the selvedge. Get a good grip on those 2 inch pieces, one in each hand, and just rip it hard all the way by hand. The ripped edge will be a little ravelly so you really should iron out that edge, but it will be ripped straight. Anyways, that is how I do it.

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

I love my scissors.....
    TRUTH is seldom appreciated, unless you happen to agree with it. When you don't agree, you just call it rude.

5. Thanks cv quilter thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I do it the same way Caroline does it except I trim mine with a scalloped blade in my rotary cutter.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Im the odd quilter. I cut a slit in the fabric right beside the salvage and I rip it off. It's straight and I sew the pieces together. I'm not picky about the edges. To me with that much fabric it's the quickest way to make sure it all straight.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I trim the selvedge off the sections before I sew them together. I'm usually skimping on fabric, since I like to use the width of the fabric without having to piece, so I just barely trim off the selvedge. I fold over the fabric into 4 thicknesses & use the ruler & my rotary cutter to trim it off. Also, I use a 1/2" seam when piecing backing, rather than the 1/4". I think whatever works for you is ok. We don't all do it the same.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

This is so helpful! Thank you all very much.

Jeannette