Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default What's your best quilt story?

I just watched this story of a woman's first quilt: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0YET0e46mvI

What's your first quilt story? Here's mine, with a bit of musical accompaniment ...

My first quilt took about six years to complete, and it's certainly not as emotional as Karen's. My eldest daughter and I took our first quilting class when she was in 7th grade, and I finished the quilt just before she left for college.

As is our family tradition, I wrote song lyrics to present the quilt to my DD, sung to the tune of "Bye, Bye Miss American Pie." (Note: "Oz" is Australian for "Australia," where we lived for a couple of years. We actually worked on some of the quilt blocks on the plane!)

A long, long time ago
    We began a project that should not have taken quite so long.
    And I knew if I had my chance, that I could make those stitches dance,
    And maybe I could finish this for you.

But years went by and made me shiver.
    It seemed that I could not deliver
    The Quilt that we had started.
    It left me broken hearted.

But then you went to NYC,
    And that left one more chance for me
    To finish off the Quilt that we
    Began in 'Ninety-three.

So bye, bye dear Miss Kimberly C,
    First from Roseville, then to Oz, now to USD.
    Here's a lovely little gift to help you keep nice and warm
    When you're curled up with a book in your dorm.
    How long this took should not be the norm.

An old, old habit of mine
    Is to give a gift before its time.
    You see, I'm not quite finished yet.
    But in this box please take a peek,
    I'll finish it by end of week,
    And you can take it when we go
    To school, in San Diego.

So bye, bye, dear Miss Kimberly C,
    First from Roseville, then to Oz, now to USD.
    Here's a lovely little gift to help you keep nice and warm
    When - you're - curled - up - with - a - book - in - your - dorm!
    Toni ... If I keep sewing long enough, will they make their own dinner?

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: What's your best quilt story?

Fun fun fun. Where's the pic of the quilt? lol
    A day patched with quilting Seldom unravels Sharon

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

That was awesome. Love that you did a song. My first quilt story is very simple. Went to a Joanns class with a friend back around 2001. The class was a disaster (sorry Joanns, but the instructor was not attentive to those of us that did not know what we were doing). I sewed in highschool, again when my second was born in 1977, and pretty much not again until 2001. So, the seams Ik ew were far from being a quarter inch. I can easily laugh now about it, but I was disappointed in classmates who laughed at me and my friend. I did not take a beginning class because I knew what I was doing.

So, my quilt top came out a bit smaller. No problem. It was for me. It took weeks to finish, but finish I did. And I still have it and use it from time to time. I dont have a pic at the moment. It is pretty for a first quilt, I am happy for the experience. My friend has not yet, to this day, finished hers lol.

It would several years later before I started in again. With working as much as I do, and a few health issues that keep me tired, and I love to travel even if just to go to Jersey to see my mom, I have little time for doing what I truly love. Only 2.7 years to retirement and the sewing room is where I will live. Looking forward to it.

I am looking forward to more stories here.

Great post to start up thank you Toni.
    Karen
    Life is short - live it up while you can

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cv quilter View Post
    Fun fun fun. Where's the pic of the quilt? lol
    Oh, thank you for asking!

The blocks were made with templates and were hand sewn. Kim and I chose different color ways for each pattern, so the blocks were half done by her and half by me. I then moved to the machine to join the blocks, to quilt, and to bind.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	KimsQuilt2.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	123.8 KB 
ID:	160241

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kgrammiecaz View Post
    My first quilt story is very simple. Went to a Joanns class with a friend back around 2001. The class was a disaster (sorry Joanns, but the instructor was not attentive to those of us that did not know what we were doing). I sewed in highschool, again when my second was born in 1977, and pretty much not again until 2001. So, the seams Ik ew were far from being a quarter inch. I can easily laugh now about it, but I was disappointed in classmates who laughed at me and my friend. I did not take a beginning class because I knew what I was doing.

So, my quilt top came out a bit smaller. No problem. It was for me. It took weeks to finish, but finish I did. And I still have it and use it from time to time. I dont have a pic at the moment. It is pretty for a first quilt, I am happy for the experience. My friend has not yet, to this day, finished hers lol.
    I have found that there are good teachers and, well, not-so-good teachers. Every teacher should ask about student's backgrounds and experience levels! Glad to know you finished your quilt.

6. Thanks Kgrammiecaz thanked for this post
    Quilting Royalty

Post Thanks / Like

My first quilt was a baby quilt I made my daughter from squares cut from all my maternity clothes. The batting was an old blanket and the backing was an old sheet. The quilting was plain stitch in the ditch. But that didn't really start me quilting.
    About 5 years ago my daughter cleaned out her closet and found that old quilt. It had been torn and the dog had chewed it. It was completely torn up and DD was just about in tears about having to toss it. At the time she was working in the natural gas industry and living in a motel and coming home on the occasional weekend. So off I went to a quilt store in town, purchased all the materials I needed according to the owner of the store. It was made from batik charm packs and a simple border. I surprised her with it a few weeks later. That is what got me hooked on quilting.

8. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario, 201 Treadler thanked for this post
    Applique Angel

Post Thanks / Like

love your story, love the rhyme
    my first finished quilt was a half hexie e pattern by Deonn Stott
    a sheep quilt, was great fun to do, learnt to line up the seams, was a lot of un-sewing 'before got it', was a steep learning curve. remember fondly, then the researching to the next step, the free motion quilting, good grief, will never forget the 1st free motion, watched a few you tubes, then started treadling, keeping rhythm, moving fabric, keeping the fm design, keep breathing, keeping moving, keeping treadling, you know am proud of that quilt.
    my first quilt pattern purchased was the sewing room but that took a few years, to put it together, then decided wanted to use all ufo blocks so un-sew rejigged , and made that quilt. am proud of that one too, a sampler of techniques.

Of course there was the quilts in between,
    two were sewn with solar power in the garden, one free motioned on a sports field, while on vacation, so it was finished in time for nephews birthday.
    fond memories

10. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario, cv quilter thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

@201Treadler: What a fun journey! You speak of treadling and, of course, that's your handle; then you speak of solar power. Do you sew without electricity???

12. Thanks 201 Treadler, cv quilter thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

What a fun thread! Thank you, Toni, for starting it.
    My first quilt was just a few years ago. Basically sewed 10 inch blocks together side by side. It was so shocking in color choice that it was hard to say anything nice about it. My MIL cut it up to use for baby quilts but no one wanted it and off to goodwill it went. I hope someone liked it.

Jeannette

14. Thanks 201 Treadler, SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    Applique Angel

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Guitar Gramma
    @201Treadler: What a fun journey! You speak of treadling and, of course, that's your handle; then you speak of solar power. Do you sew without electricity???
    the short answer is yes sort of solar panel, charges the battery which runs the inverter, which changes 12volts into electric.

the longer answer
    Love treadling but that is too heavy for moving out door x uphill into garden on level part to sew on own,
    quickly learnt hand cranking was a no no for me, so use a featherweight, because it was light easy to move, cute, does not use much power, but then the electric is not an quick easy connection to home, due to the flatter area being uphill far away from a socket, (plus the other reason read on)
    so solar,12 volt battery and inverter work just as well for me. Its nice to stitch outdoors hearing the wildlife, enjoying weather.

how this all came about is
    in 2013 got a lovely new to me electric sewing machine (thankfully not a fabulous many stitches expensive one like a janome 6600), to recover a chair (actually undid all the staples made patterns and sew, please blame youtubes for giving me the idea could do it, hahaha perhaps a story for another time).

While sewing the upper right wing cover a massive electric surge happened, The sewing machine suffered, other white goods washing machine, oven, and dishwasher, fridge. these were all plugged in at the time, the dishwasher went bang scare the whotsits out of me, my back was to it, same moment while was sewing at kitchen table the sewing machine stopped, the fridge just did not restart.

it was an expensive time and an expensive lesson, thankfully only the fridge and dish washer got replaced, the motors we replaced in the washing machine and oven, thank goodness for those online parts suppliers with youtube tuition.
    the lovely sewing machine went back in its box till could resolve.

a treadle human power sewing machine was sourced to finish the chair which was sat on a cover on kitchen table. Needing the table for meals.
    the treadle started a love of vintage, the learning, researching which went into using, looking after, engineering, re finishing the french polish aka shellac, (well makes me happy,)
    some collecting happened now down sized.

everything is now plugged into the rcd's, surge protectors, and disconnected straight after use, even though the power company rewired (they forgot to turn the street back on, it was funny had been treadling most of the day was providing the gents with hot drinks as the weather was bitter outside, the kettle was on fire, later on we had connected up but were isolated from the power lines, to the solar battery inverter so were lit up, others were wandering around by candle light)
    The fridge is unplugged when we hear thunder. in fact the electric pole round corner was hit with lightening so unplugging was a good thing.
    then last year during the storms we saw a main line cable was shorting across the way
    the led lights still flicker, go duller in winter when everyone else uses electric, having the costs of the surge, do not want really want to buy a fancy machine to have it broke again
    this is why prefer human power or solar power, plus it makes me happy knowing can make small amount of electric power anywhere if needed.
    there are solar panels on some roofs in England, but the way they are wired up, is they give power to home only if electric is on, so when there is a power cut they do not have power ( its to save the folk working on the lines not getting electrocuted ).

hope above makes sense and answers.
    T

16. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario, cv quilter thanked for this post