Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: What's your best quilt story?

Not my "first" quilt story, but it's my best: Prior to my Mother passing away, I was tasked by her to complete her UFOs for her. Mom was an avid quilter, and at that time I was a dabbler, but that quickly changed .....

This is the letter that went with one of Mom's completed ufo's to my sister:

Dear Joan,

This is the third of what I have come to refer to as the Mother/Daughter quilts. Julie received the first one in celebration of Mom's birthday this year, and George received his for his birthday.

As I have been working on Mom's various quilts this one in particular that she was hand quilting, was the most difficult, not just in skill, but emotionally as well. When Mom first showed me this quilt about twenty years ago, she called it her "lifetime quilt" as it was going to take her a lifetime to finish it. And she even prophesied that I would probably have to finish it for her.

As I worked on it, my stitching was so terrible and was nowhere close to her skill that I ripped out my work several times, and eventually succumbed to tears. I kept thinking about Mom telling me once how after Grandma Dyches passed away, Mom took possession of Grandma's African Lilacs and they slowly one by one died and how she felt that she had disappointed her Mother. That's how I felt.

Mike in his wisdom and compassion pointed out to me that my work wasn't suppose to look like Mom's. After all, these quilts are a joint effort between a Mother and Daughter, and the quilts should represent the love of two people for each other and for the recipient of the quilt.

With that realization and acceptance, and knowing that Mom eventually did learn how to successfully grow African Lilacs, I have been able to continue with her projects with joy and the knowledge that although my skills may never match Mom's, she'll always be inspiring me.

Mom originally had planned on this quilt having 16 blocks. She had completed the hand appliquéd and quilting of 8 of them, and there was one more that she had completed the appliquéing of, but not the quilting. The rest are in various stages of appliqué, and the fabrics are so stained and damaged with age, that I decided to keep this quilt smaller that she had planned. So with that, I finished the 9th block by machine quilting it, and sewed all the blocks together. Maybe someday I'll go back to those last squares and see if I can revive them, but I believe I'll definitely wait until my skills have improved.

Joanie, as I have worked on each quilt so far, I wanted to keep each and every one, Julie's because I loved the colors and George's because of the vintage fabrics, and the one that is planned for Jamie I'm sure I'll go thru the same thing. But this one... this one was the toughest, because of what this quilt represented to me. I thought the quilt itself was Mom's gift to me, but I was wrong. The quilt represents the legacy I received from her, the love of the craft, and the expression of love for those that we create these quilts for. For that reason, I wanted you to have this quilt, since to me, it represents Mom's lifetime love for her family and for her craft, which I'm proud to carry on in her honor.

The love that Mom and I share for each other and especially for you, is forever woven into the threads of this quilt. Think of us both every time you wrap yourselves in its warmth.

With all our love,

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hawaiin Quilt.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	170.5 KB 
ID:	160263

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

201 treadler….You are true pioneer woman! Oh my gosh, how I admire your determination and persistence. Admiration from me.
    A day patched with quilting Seldom unravels Sharon

3. Thanks 201 Treadler, SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

@Caroline: What a beautiful story! Thank you for sharing the importance of a legacy project. You've motivated me to pull out the afghan my grandmother was making for me when she died. I really ought to finish it, as that would honor her so.

@Treadler: My hat is off to you! What ingenuity!
    Toni ... If I keep sewing long enough, will they make their own dinner?

5. Thanks 201 Treadler thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Back in 2012, my daughter's competitive softball team was hosting a poker tournament and silent auction to raise funds for the comp softball season (game fees and equipment expenses). Halona and I decided to make a quilt for the silent auction...something simple, yet appealing. I was hand quilting the project hours before the evening event. The head administrator of the team complex was amazed how quick the quilt was created and it was the only quilt submitted. Halona seemed devastated that the quilt would go to someone else's home other than our home.

The winning bid of $55.00 was from a former coach of the team organization. Halona was almost in tears at that point. I gave the folded quilt for her to present it to the winning bidder. When she held it out to the gentleman, she told him that she was glad the quilt was going to a good home. The gentleman saw that she was teary eyed and told Halona that he would donate the money and she could take the quilt home with her!

Name:	softball quilt.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	123.0 KB 
ID:	160281
    Sherri

"Don't let someone else's ugly spoil your beautiful. " Thanks, Bubby!!!!!!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

What a beautiful thread. So many inspiring stories and heartwarming memories, it definitely shares everyone's love for quilting.

I was especially close to my maternal grandmother who quilted. She used whatever fabrics she had, turning old clothes, coats into wonderful crazy patch quilts, embellished with embroidery. I spent summer vacation time with her, and remember falling asleep, stroking all the fabrics, velvety, satins, and ribbons. I wanted to quilt like my grandma. Unfortunately she died when I was 10, so she never taught me to piece. She did teach me how to sew basic pieces, knit and play yooker. My mom didn't sew or quilt. I later learned from my older cousins that she made a quilt for them when they got married. I had a lot of cousins. I did get the pieces of the last quilt she was working on for Canada's centennial. Mom had it finished and I have it. I digress.

Spring of 2015, I signed up for a class at LQS to make sampler quilt, 12 blocks. I picked purple and blue fabrics I loved. I was, what the teacher called a zealous over-achiever. I soon realized that I did not have purple in my house or need a lap quilt, and besides I have a king size bed. By the 2nd class, I was searching for more of the same fabrics at LQS to make larger. Not easy as this was a popular line. Eventually I had enough and I had drawn out a symmetrical pattern of 49 blocks. A far cry from the 12 blocks. I kept up, sewing extra blocks at home and 6 weeks, I had the top and sashing finished. I needed the last class to know how to square up and add border. A week later it was finished, and off to LAQ. I learnt a lot, got acquainted with Jack the Ripper and mostly, always buy more fabric than needed. I appreciated having a teacher who was patient and very particular about proper techniques. Oh, did I mention that 2 other students in the class followed my lead by making their quilt larger. I joined a guild in the fall and put it on display at the spring quilt show. I was hooked. In my first year, I made 14 quilts, 5 which were King size and the others lap-twin. The Kings were quilted by LAQ but the other I did on my DSM. I look back and think, that was insane.

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	211.2 KB 
ID:	160282

My goal is to make quilts for family and friends. I also have a healthy stash of quilts I haven't parted with. The right moment will present itself for the quilt to be given.

Enjoy life and do what makes you happy. Everything else will follow.

Every day I try to do one thing that challenges my comfort zone.

8. Thanks 201 Treadler, Claire Hallman, cv quilter thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Suzanne, sweet memories of your grandmother. Love the part of falling asleep stroking the various textures of fabric. Your first quilt is beautiful. I really love the layout of your blocks. Congrats on the number of finishes you had in your first year. You are a dynamo.
    A day patched with quilting Seldom unravels Sharon

10. Thanks 201 Treadler, SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

@Shermer: That's a beautiful story, and what a wonderful gentleman to gift the quilt to your daughter. Lovely!

@Suzanne: I love hearing what motivated you to start quilting. The love of our grandparents is like no other. And well done on your first quilt class. You sound like Jenny! Didn't she make six quilts in her first quilt class. You're both zealous over-achievers!!!
    Toni ... If I keep sewing long enough, will they make their own dinner?

12. Thanks 201 Treadler, SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Along the Illinois river-Central Illinois
    Post Thanks / Like

My mother and her sisters/neighbors used to get together and hand quilt.. An ol' fashion Quilting Bee.. and I was little enough to sit under the quilt (attached to a frame) to listen to their stories, and play with fabric. As a Teen I spend summer vacation week at my Gram's, where she made dozen of quilts, but never let any of us kids "help" her.. As an adult, I never picked up the quilting bug. Not til I was in my 60's.. and saw an online quilting how to on line/ U Tube.

Now living with my DD#2 and knowing her love of Winnie the Pooh, I saw a pattern from Fons & Porter on how to make "pancakes". Since My Mom never tried to teach me quilting, and Gram forbade me from touching her beautiful hand quilting and fabrics, I decided I could make my own quilts since no one left me any thing they had made. Some how I was really angry with My Gram and Mom for not allowing me to "help" thus learn. Therefore my computer became my teacher... and determination to recreate every quilt My Gram made... (by hand) but I'd use my sewing machine. Thus the Winnie The Pooh Queen Size quilt came to be. And my love/learning continues until today..

Name:	tiger.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	188.7 KB 
ID:	160310

Name:	pooh1.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	105.5 KB 
ID:	160309

14. Thanks Claire Hallman, 201 Treadler thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

wow, not sure you can see this one easily. not really a quilt story. i made my son's clothes and other things for quite awhile. See the tiny pic in the lower right of these.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	005.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	129.8 KB 
ID:	160316