Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Block Queen

Post Thanks / Like

Default Had a very interesting and scary night

Last night my daughter took her two dogs out and they were attacked by what I assume was a rabid fox. This happened about 10 feet away from the side of the house, right in front of our vegetable garden. The larger dog (both are Pitbull mixes) was able to grab on to the fox around its neck, and from what I was able to see, did some major damage. This happened well before evening, in the daylight. Hubby and I went out with rifles to kill it. He shot it, but it was able to get into the woods. My heart breaks for the poor creature, but it had to be done. The game warden will be out to try and track it down for testing.
    The dog has some damage to his paws and muzzle and will go to the vet today, and there was blood all over the place, so I spent a good part of the night washing floors and gathering up towels and bedding that were soiled. They will get washed today. The majority of the vegetable plants were sprayed with blood, so they will be ripped out and burned today. Our tomatoes were just getting ripe. We don't dare take the dogs out without another armed person just in case....the fox was a kit and had a sibling.
    Thankfully both dogs are up to date on their shots. But I get cold chills just thinking what could have happened if her dog hadn't been able to stop the fox. We spent long periods on the phone warning the neighbors, many of whom have children. If a rabid animal will attack a grown woman with two dogs, it will not hesitate over a small child.
    This has been a reality check for us, as we take for granted that we live in the country. But country living comes with its risks, as does city living. It's also a warning to never ever let the rabies shots lapse. And please hug your dogs, you never know when they will have to protect you.

2. Thanks KPH, SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Had a very interesting and scary night

What a scary experience. Living in the city we think it would be nice to live in the country, but it does have more wildlife. I hope they find it for testing, and that her dog will be ok.

Enjoy life and do what makes you happy. Everything else will follow.

Every day I try to do one thing that challenges my comfort zone.

Missouri Star

Along the Illinois river-Central Illinois
    Post Thanks / Like

Wow, this had my adrenalin up and heart pounding. I lived on a farm most of my life and we had several "run ins" with the wild life. Nothing more scary than a rabid animal coming at ya. I do pray that everything and everyone doesn't suffer more harm.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

That was so scary!

All in all it's a story with a few good reminders
    Katrina

“Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.”
    ― Maya Angelou

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Oh my gosh what a horrible story. Glad everyone is okay, and I hope they can locate the fox. Sorry you lost your garden though. You were really considerate to warn your neighbors.

Block Queen

Post Thanks / Like

The conservation officer came out and found the fox just inside the wood line and said that it was a good shot, she didn't suffer long. He took the body and it will be tested for rabies so we'll know for sure. The dog is at the vet for observation and will get a rabies booster. Our garden is now gone and any trace of the virus will be gone within 24 hours so it'll be safe tonight. I know in my head that it's not transmissible by blood, but rabies is very scary to me. On a positive note though, it's been good to see how all of us living on the road have pulled together.

8. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

What state do you live in? I think rabies has been irradicated in our state but not sure.
    I hope the dogs and your family are OK.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

That is a scary story. I'm glad your daughter is alright.

Jeannette

Block Queen

Post Thanks / Like

I am in Northern Central PA.

12. Thanks Claire Hallman thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

In Colorado, we have a lot of prairie dogs. Sometimes they test (+) for the plague. We don't often hear of an animal with rabies, but I think it could happen almost anywhere. What a scary thing to happen. Glad the fox was killed & will be tested. Hope the dogs are ok.

Living in the city, we have all the wildlife I want -- skunks, raccoons, rabbits, hawks, owls, Ferrel cats, etc. DS#1 lives in a MD town. They have ground hogs, voles, & deer that wander through their yard & eat their flowers, even nibble on the rose bushes. My DIL tried growing hostas & coral bells; the deer ate them all! In our CO mt. towns & the foothills, they deal with deer, elk, bears, moose, & mountain lions. Even Denver residents have to be on the look-out for aggressive coyotes; they can attack a small child or nab your cat or small dog.
    Last edited by JCY; August 9th, 2019 at 06:42 PM.