• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JCY
    Missouri Star
    • Jul 2013

Tarantula Migration Expected to Crawl Through Colorado

This headline in today's newspaper caught my attention. Hmmm. I didn't know we had tarantulas in Colorado.

"Colorado wildlife officials say thousands of tarantulas are expected to start their annual migration through the state soon. It's expected to begin this month through early October. Oklahoma brown tarantulas migrate through
    La Junta about 176 miles southeast of Denver. The majority of the spiders are 10-year-old males looking to mate with females hidden in Colorado's grasslands. Officials say the peak time to view the migration is mid-September near Comanche National Grassland south of La Junta. Tarantulas are mostly harmless to humans, but have bites that can cause injury or an allergic reaction and hair that can be irritating to the eyes, mouth, and nose."

Well, that sparked my interest, so I turned to Wikipedia. Just a few facts. Tarantulas are hairy spiders, an arthropod. They range in size from fingernail to dinner plate size, with legs fully extended. Ave. is 1-4". The largest is the Goliath Birdeater, 12" in diameter, found in Venezuela & Brazil.

There are >1,000 species of tarantulas. They are found in the U.S., Mexico, Central & S. America, Africa, Asia, Australia, and in Europe -- Spain, Portugal, Turkey, S. Italy, & Cyprus. They eat large insects. The largest ones eat lizards, mice, bats, birds, and small snakes. Some cultures, such as in Venezuela & Cambodia, consider them a delicacy to eat. (Yuck!)

My gr. dau. lives in Dallas, TX area. They found a tarantula living in a hole in their back yard. She doesn't let her 2 pre-school boys play out there.

For more info. read the Wikipedia site.
  • Caroline T.
    Missouri Star
    • Jun 2016

Re: Tarantula Migration Expected to Crawl Through Colorado

If I lived in Colorado, I'd be planning a long vacation out of state about now! Hate spiders, especially big hairy ones!

Comment

• LauraP
      Missouri Star
      • Dec 2015

Tarantulas are basically harmless to humans. When frightened they will rear up on their back legs and wave their front legs to make themselves bigger. Your granddaughter might consider using the tarantula as a science learning tool. Studying them is quite fun. Better a tarantula than a rattlesnake which they also have around Dallas.
      sigpic

Comment

• Deeceer
        UN-Biased
        • Jun 2018

A number of years ago hubby & I took a driving trip to 4 corners, CO.. We live in No. Colorado. Anyway, on our way to the “site” of the 4 states coming together, we encountered a tarantula crossing the dirt road. We had this sports car at the time and I swore the spider was as big as the car........ I did NOT get out to lay on the plaque to show the 4 states coming together. Have not encountered another up here in No. Colorado!!

Comment

• auntstuff
          Missouri Star
          • Nov 2017

I used to keep a Mexican Redleg Tarantula as a pet. Very interesting and docile creatures, as long as you don't hurt them.
          She who dies with the most quilts is......
          Still dead.
          What's your hurry?

Comment

• nativetexan
            Banned
            Missouri Star
            • Feb 2018

OH i lived north of Denver for over two decades and never knew this. thank goodness. long ago near Houston, TX i walked at night through a very over grown front yard to someone's house. then was told to watch out for Tarantula's. Yikes!

Comment

• Heather

I used to see tarantulas in early fall when I lived in the foothills east of the bay area. I thought they were sweet, walking along our dirt road looking for love.

Comment

• SuzanneOrleansOntario
                Missouri Star
                • Aug 2015

Yikes. I don't like spiders and snakes, but I would freak out if I saw a tarantula. Thank God Joy that you didn't list them inCanada. There are the occasional ones that come up in crates of bananas and grapes, but usually harmless.
                Enjoy life and do what makes you happy. Everything else will follow.

Comment

• KPH
                  Missouri Star
                  • Feb 2015

Why did I choose to read this before bed?
                  Katrina
                  From NC, retired in FL
                  “Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.” Maya Angelou

Comment

• ktdid
                    The Guild President
                    • Dec 2018

Originally posted by auntstuff View Post
                    I used to keep a Mexican Redleg Tarantula as a pet. Very interesting and docile creatures, as long as you don't hurt them.
                    That just gave me the heebe zeebies my skin is crawling, thanks auntstuff!!
                    Kate (Oklahoma)
                    There are moments which mark your life, moments when you realize nothing will ever be the same. And time is divided into two parts, Before this and After this

Comment

• TMP
                      Missouri Star
                      • Apr 2014

I am with you ktdid ! Spiders, rats and lizards scare me to death. Ohh and snakes!
                      Teresa
                      Pelham, Alabama
                      War Eagle!!!

Comment

• Carlie Wolf
                        Missouri Star
                        • Oct 2013

I think I'd rather watch a butterfly, bird migration or eclipse. Tarantula Migration.....hummm, not so much :-)
                        https://forum.missouriquiltco.com/co.../icon_wave.gif
                        Women are Angels. When someone break's our wings we will continue to fly-usually on a broomstick.We're flexible like that.

Comment

Working...
                        X