Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Tarantula Migration Expected to Crawl Through Colorado

This headline in today's newspaper caught my attention. Hmmm. I didn't know we had tarantulas in Colorado.

"Colorado wildlife officials say thousands of tarantulas are expected to start their annual migration through the state soon. It's expected to begin this month through early October. Oklahoma brown tarantulas migrate through
    La Junta about 176 miles southeast of Denver. The majority of the spiders are 10-year-old males looking to mate with females hidden in Colorado's grasslands. Officials say the peak time to view the migration is mid-September near Comanche National Grassland south of La Junta. Tarantulas are mostly harmless to humans, but have bites that can cause injury or an allergic reaction and hair that can be irritating to the eyes, mouth, and nose."

Well, that sparked my interest, so I turned to Wikipedia. Just a few facts. Tarantulas are hairy spiders, an arthropod. They range in size from fingernail to dinner plate size, with legs fully extended. Ave. is 1-4". The largest is the Goliath Birdeater, 12" in diameter, found in Venezuela & Brazil.

There are >1,000 species of tarantulas. They are found in the U.S., Mexico, Central & S. America, Africa, Asia, Australia, and in Europe -- Spain, Portugal, Turkey, S. Italy, & Cyprus. They eat large insects. The largest ones eat lizards, mice, bats, birds, and small snakes. Some cultures, such as in Venezuela & Cambodia, consider them a delicacy to eat. (Yuck!)

My gr. dau. lives in Dallas, TX area. They found a tarantula living in a hole in their back yard. She doesn't let her 2 pre-school boys play out there.

For more info. read the Wikipedia site.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Tarantula Migration Expected to Crawl Through Colorado

If I lived in Colorado, I'd be planning a long vacation out of state about now! Hate spiders, especially big hairy ones!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Tarantulas are basically harmless to humans. When frightened they will rear up on their back legs and wave their front legs to make themselves bigger. Your granddaughter might consider using the tarantula as a science learning tool. Studying them is quite fun. Better a tarantula than a rattlesnake which they also have around Dallas.
    ATTITUDE IS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN AN ORDEAL AND AN ADVENTURE

4. Thanks cjsews, auntstuff thanked for this post
    Fabric Fanatic

Post Thanks / Like

A number of years ago hubby & I took a driving trip to 4 corners, CO.. We live in No. Colorado. Anyway, on our way to the “site” of the 4 states coming together, we encountered a tarantula crossing the dirt road. We had this sports car at the time and I swore the spider was as big as the car........ I did NOT get out to lay on the plaque to show the 4 states coming together. Have not encountered another up here in No. Colorado!!

6. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

I used to keep a Mexican Redleg Tarantula as a pet. Very interesting and docile creatures, as long as you don't hurt them.
    TRUTH is seldom appreciated, unless you happen to agree with it. When you don't agree, you just call it rude.

8. Thanks ktdid thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

OH i lived north of Denver for over two decades and never knew this. thank goodness. long ago near Houston, TX i walked at night through a very over grown front yard to someone's house. then was told to watch out for Tarantula's. Yikes!

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

I used to see tarantulas in early fall when I lived in the foothills east of the bay area. I thought they were sweet, walking along our dirt road looking for love.
    Heather

11. Thanks auntstuff thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Yikes. I don't like spiders and snakes, but I would freak out if I saw a tarantula. Thank God Joy that you didn't list them inCanada. There are the occasional ones that come up in crates of bananas and grapes, but usually harmless.

Enjoy life and do what makes you happy. Everything else will follow.

Every day I try to do one thing that challenges my comfort zone.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Why did I choose to read this before bed?
    Katrina

“Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.”
    ― Maya Angelou

14. Thanks MSN thanked for this post
    Rotary Pro

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by auntstuff View Post
    I used to keep a Mexican Redleg Tarantula as a pet. Very interesting and docile creatures, as long as you don't hurt them.
    That just gave me the heebe zeebies my skin is crawling, thanks auntstuff!!
    When you have decided what you believe, what you feel must be done, have the courage to stand alone and be counted
    Eleanor Roosevelt