Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Banned for spam

Rotary Pro

Post Thanks / Like

Default Banned for spam

I don't understand why the forum moderator can't remove that user from ever logging in in the first place, and why does it still post. Guess there's more to it than I know.
    When you have decided what you believe, what you feel must be done, have the courage to stand alone and be counted
    Eleanor Roosevelt

2. Thanks Caroline T. thanked for this post
    Batting Beauty

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Banned for spam

I guess I have missed the spam here. Is this a member that posts all the time? Or just someone passing thru. I agree. At least on the second spam posting they should be banned.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ktdid View Post
    I don't understand why the forum moderator can't remove that user from ever logging in in the first place, and why does it still post. Guess there's more to it than I know.
    Are you referring to the ant guy? Thankfully so far it's only in his profile, and he's not flooding the forum with his posts.

Our moderators are pretty good about cleaning out the spam, but even they've got to sleep sometime

I'm sure it'll be removed soon.

Rotary Pro

Post Thanks / Like

I think it was the idiot in Australia said it a pest control it posted this am.
    When you have decided what you believe, what you feel must be done, have the courage to stand alone and be counted
    Eleanor Roosevelt

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Moderators have absolutely no control over forum account approval. That is all done automatically by the system. The Australian pest spam has been going on now for a few weeks. They have finally figured out that if they post in a visitor message they can get their link posted right away. In a regular forum post a new user that posts a link gets flagged by the system for approval by a mod. Even when a member is permanently banned that account is never removed, they just can't post anymore, so they just change the name and make another account. The forum software is somewhat lacking in what can be done and mods don't have as much control as admins, and the admins aren't on enough to deal with the spam.
    Last edited by K. McEuen; August 8th, 2019 at 03:41 PM.
    K is for Karen .....................Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.

Before you speak,
    T - is it TRUE?
    H - is it HELPFUL?
    I - is it INSPIRING?
    N - is it NECESSARY?
    K - is it KIND?

Check my User Notes.

7. Thanks Monique, auntstuff thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

huh, i thought you had to be a member and log in to post anything. something may need changing.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by nativetexan View Post
    huh, i thought you had to be a member and log in to post anything. something may need changing.
    You do have to be logged in to post. You have to be a member to log in. Not why you doubted that.
    K is for Karen .....................Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.

Before you speak,
    T - is it TRUE?
    H - is it HELPFUL?
    I - is it INSPIRING?
    N - is it NECESSARY?
    K - is it KIND?

Check my User Notes.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by K. McEuen View Post
    Moderators have absolutely no control over forum account approval. That is all done automatically by the system. The Australian pest spam has been going on now for a few weeks. They have finally figured out that if they post in a visitor message they can get their link posted right away. In a regular forum post a new user that posts a link gets flagged by the system for approval by a mod. Even when a member is permanently banned that account is never removed, they just can't post anymore, so they just change the name and make another account. The forum software is somewhat lacking in what can be done and mods don't have as much control as admins, and the admins aren't on enough to deal with the spam.
    Thank you Karen for clarifying. You moderators do a great job keeping the spam out of the "chat" part of the forum and we truly appreciate it.

Hhhmmm maybe we should all visit his website and leave bad reviews? (just kidding)

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Years ago I was a member of a board that occasionally had to deal with rabid trolls. The admins had the ability to block a user's IP address. It was pain to do, so they never did it lightly, and if I recall, only the techiest of the admins was able to do it. Maybe that's an option for these kinds of persistant...ahem...pests.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AMG View Post
    Years ago I was a member of a board that occasionally had to deal with rabid trolls. The admins had the ability to block a user's IP address. It was pain to do, so they never did it lightly, and if I recall, only the techiest of the admins was able to do it. Maybe that's an option for these kinds of persistant...ahem...pests.
    Right, an ADMIN can do stuff like that, moderators can't

Before you speak,
    T - is it TRUE?
    H - is it HELPFUL?
    I - is it INSPIRING?
    N - is it NECESSARY?
    K - is it KIND?

Check my User Notes.