Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shiny Thimble

Post Thanks / Like

Default machine embroidery on quilt

Hello. I would like to add machine embroidery to a small quilt I am making, but am unsure of the right process. I have my top finished and it is sandwiched with the batting (flannel) and the backing. I want to put a small embroidery in each corner and a larger one in the middle. I think that will be plenty of stitching to hold the quilt together, if it works. Would I still need stabilizer somewhere on or in the quilt? I think I'd use a 5x7 hoop and maybe a 4x4 hoop for the corners.
    Thanks for any help you can give. Much appreciated.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: machine embroidery on quilt

We have several in the group who do a lot of embroidery on quilts that are finished. I've embroidered blocks before putting them together in a quilt, but not after the quilt has been sandwiched. Grammaterry does a lot of this (I think.)

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

no, you do not need a stabilizer. It is called embossing and produces a lovely quilt. If you need designs embroiderylibrary.com has very reasonable priced ones.
    ATTITUDE IS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN AN ORDEAL AND AN ADVENTURE

4. Thanks Ltoppins thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

No stabilizer needed if it's sandwiched. Not sure if I understand where you want your embroidery. Are you just putting a small embroidery in the top and bottom two corners of the quilt and one larger one in the center of the quilt? Depending on the size of the quilt it may not be enough to hold your batting, unless you are doing other quilting besides the embroideries.

I love embroidery on a quilt!
    Nobody is going to stand up at your funeral and say she had a really expensive sofa and great shoes Life is not about stuff.

Visit my Flickr page, sewing and cakes!
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/90704986@N07/

www.pinterest.com/cathyfiebe/boards

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

You may want to put the design on the quilt area first. Then add the batting and backing.
    The knots for machine embroidery aren’t attractive.

Beginning Stitcher

Post Thanks / Like

I use quilt block embroideries on my sandwiched quilts all the time. As was mentioned above, I also get mine from Embroidery Library. It's one of my favourite ways to quilt my quilts.

You don't need stabilizer as the sandwiched quilt is more than stable enough to embroider on. I place my embroideries fairly close together so that they look like they have been fmq'd since my free motion quilting is still not very good.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

My daughter quilts her entire quilt with machine embroidery and it's beautiful! I have done decorative embroidery in the negative spaces and then fmq the rest and also light embroidery all over. Batting is plenty to stabilize! Embroidery library has lots of simple quilting motifs that are fairly quick! Heavy embroidery takes lots of time . Fmq is faster for sure! I told my daughter I didn't know how she had the patience to heavily embroidery the whole quilt. We're talking an hour per 6 inch square. She replied that she's no good at fmq and any amount of time with perfect results was worth it to her. So, we're all different.
    Shriners would only have 3 quilts this year if I was going for near perfection...ha ha

Designer Diva

Post Thanks / Like

I embroider blocks for crib/lap quilts all the time.
    Personally I would embroider before sandwiching
    your quilt. I’m not sure how well your design would
    Stitch with all your layers, it maybe too thick
    You may get some puckering.
    I always use a good thick stabilizer when I get embroider
    and use a spray adhesive to hold the stabilizer in place.

Quilting Guru

Post Thanks / Like

Are you using a quilting embroidery design? If so, you do not need to stabilize and your design will look nice on both sides. If you’re using a filled design or regular embroidery design the back of the quilt may not look nice. It will have the heavy bobbin stitches showing. I agree with the above posts about designs from embroiderylibrary.com. They have a nice selection of quilting blocks. I also bought a book and CD with quilting embroidery patterns and it has larger sizes for the bigger hoops and they give nice results on baby quilts.
    Good luck! I’m sure it will be pretty when you’re finished!
    Lisa

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Lisa, what is the name of the book please?
    ATTITUDE IS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN AN ORDEAL AND AN ADVENTURE