• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Star lover
    Missouri Star
    • Apr 2016

Story from a Kansas State Highway Patrol officer 👮

I made a traffic stop on an elderly lady the other day for speeding on U.S. 166 Eastbound at Mile Marker 73 just East of Sedan, Kansas.

I asked for her driver's license, registration, and proof of insurance.

The lady took out the required information and handed it to me.

In with the cards I was somewhat surprised (due to her advanced age) to see she had a conceal carry permit. I looked at her and ask if she had a weapon in her possession at this time.

She responded that she indeed had a .45 automatic in her glove box.

Something---body language, or the way she said it---made me want to ask if she had any other firearms. She did admit to also having a 9mm Glock in her center console. Now I had to ask one more time if that was all.

She responded once again that she did have just one more, a .38 special in her purse. I then asked her what was she so afraid of.

She looked me right in the eye and said, "Not a darn thing!"
  • DeniseSm
    Missouri Star
    • Nov 2013

Re: Story from a Kansas State Highway Patrol officer 👮

Not at all funny given that the nation is currently mourning two recent mass shootings of innocents. I know you are a long time poster here but I would like to please ask you to consider voluntarily deleting this post. The timing is tragic.
    Stash Treasure Acquisitions Beyond Life Expectancy. My stash keeps me STABLE, oh yeah.... and dark chocolate.

Comment

• Nwmnteacher
      Missouri Star
      • Mar 2014

I didn't take offense to your posting, Star Lover. There is a huge difference in a person who has taken a conceal and carry class, been background checked, and responsibly carries a weapon for protection, and a mentally ill person who carries out a mass murder. Since I travel alone quite often, I carry a registered weapon and I have a permit to carry which has to be renewed every 5 years. in order to do that, I have to take the class again and be background checked. This will have to happen every 5 years in order to keep my permit current.

Comment

• LauraP
        Missouri Star
        • Dec 2015

Don't mess with us Kansans!!!!! Sedan is only 40 miles from me. This could very well have been my sil. DH and I have been discussing getting a gun since we are so often camped out away from "civilization". He was a sharpshooter in the military and I hunted for years so we are both familiar with guns. I think though we have about decided on a non-lethal pepper spray pistol. You don't have to be as close as if you were using canned pepper spray and I don't know of much, animal or human, that would stand for five shots of pepper spray.
        sigpic

Comment

• auntstuff
          Missouri Star
          • Nov 2017

Thanks, Star lover. I enjoyed it. If you lose your sense of humor, there isn't a lot of what makes us human left.
          She who dies with the most quilts is......
          Still dead.
          What's your hurry?

Comment

• Anitamae56
            Missouri Star
            • Oct 2014

As a Kansas girl , I found that very funny!

Comment

• Caroline T.
              Missouri Star
              • Jun 2016

Originally posted by Anitamae56 View Post
              As a Kansas girl , I found that very funny!
              As a permit holder, and an occasional gun totin' grandma, I found it funny too!

Comment

• amyquilts
                Prairie Pointer
                • Aug 2014

The worst possible taste at the worst possible time.
                "Perhaps they are not stars, but rather openings in heaven where the love of our lost ones pours through and shines down upon us to let us know they are happy" -- Eskimo Proverb

Comment

• geegeequilts
                  Missouri Star
                  • Jan 2015

Anita,
                  This was funny cos' I pictured my Grandma doing/saying the same thing.

NOT the same as current tragic happenings. And I agree that if we lose our sense of humor we are losing an important part of ourselves. Having a sense of humor is partly what got me thru my lovely chemo.

Please don't stop posting your funnies. Sometimes that's the best part of my day.

Gina

Comment

• nativetexan
                    Banned
                    Missouri Star
                    • Feb 2018

Oh my goodness, I don't guess I would be either with all that fire power. But i cannot stand guns myself. So it's up to everyone else to have theirs I guess.

Comment

• bubba
                      Missouri Star
                      • Mar 2013

This joke has been around for years. I see nothing wrong with it and I see no reason as to why she is being attacked like this.

Yes, there were two mass shootings.....

This has nothing, absolutely NOTHING to do with either one.
                      pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

sigpic

If you can't be nice.....BE QUIET!

Comment

• minipinlady
                        Missouri Star
                        • Dec 2018

Humor is humor , and that was funny. Personally I am so tired of hearing about the latest crazy and all the attention the shooter gets. I hear a lot about so called "Haters" but I have to say that those that scream " politically correct " seem to be the worst haters. They make every tragedy their own, and gag every one else's opinions ( and humor ) , making good people targets of bashing shaming etc. . Hate the crime, and use some common sense. A joke is a joke and it was a good joke. In case the point of the joke was missed, it was about self protection, and not giving FEAR control, at any age. I think that is a good point, and sandwiching it in humor is the best way to make a point.

Comment

• tamsterg7
                          Missouri Star
                          • Jan 2011

Oh that is too funny! I could be that fiesty oldster one of these days in the near future! Thanks for a much needed laugh!

Comment

• grammaterry
                            Missouri Star
                            • Dec 2015

There should be more of us gun toten gramma's!! I agree funny. Those of you who want to read political or tragic into our lives, have a right but politicising those mass shootings with more than a mention is not helping! The crazies thrive on the publicity and I tune out all the coverage after the first story. Yes, it happened but we don't need to analyse every aspect. Not nationally anyway. So stop reading anger in everybody else's humor and carry on
                            success is walking from failure to failure with no loss of enthusiam
                            Terry of NC

Comment

• bubba
                              Missouri Star
                              • Mar 2013

Originally posted by grammaterry View Post
                              There should be more of us gun toten gramma's!! I agree funny. Those of you who want to read political or tragic into our lives, have a right but politicising those mass shootings with more than a mention is not helping! The crazies thrive on the publicity and I tune out all the coverage after the first story. Yes, it happened but we don't need to analyse every aspect. Not nationally anyway. So stop reading anger in everybody else's humor and carry on
                              While I was out doing Uber Eats last night, I was in a pizza place. I sat next to an older man while we waited for our food. Every time someone walked past outside or entered the restaurant, he nervously looked all over the place. I finally asked him if he was alright and he told me yes, he was fine, just that he had been deeply depressed since the two shootings. I told him that he can't live his life like that, and he went on to say that it could happen anywhere and he just wanted to be aware of his surroundings. I told him in the 31 years that I was a dispatcher, I had only one call that involved something like this and again told him that it was not good for him to dwell on this and worry about being shot in a mass shooting. He seemed to calm down quite a bit, and when we walked out together, he thanked me.

I believe that these murderers should not be glorified by having their names mentioned in the news. That is the kind of attention they wanted.....don't give it to them!! Live with a smile, both on your face and in your heart.
                              pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

sigpic

If you can't be nice.....BE QUIET!

Comment

Working...
                              X