Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Help!! Machine Won't FMQ Backwards!?!

So I've been FMQing my niece's quilt (for a wedding this weekend ) i broke a needle earlier, cleaned out the bobbin area but still haven't found the rest of the broken needle. Started sewing again for awhile, then it made a noise like a needle breaking again....I'm thinking it just nicked the point.

So I changed the needle again and started FMQ again .......now when I try to move the quilt backwards thru the machine it will go a few stitches (about half an inch) and then feels like it's getting hung up on something. It seem to FMQ ok going forward and side to side.

I checked edges of FMQ foot for sharp edges.....took out bobbin & shuttle again & cleaned.....took foot off & put back on.....rethreaded.....

Any suggestions on what I need to do or what the problem might be??

Thanks,
    "I'm putting together a list of 100 reasons why I am NOT relentless!" - Sue Heck, The Middle

Leonard: For God's sake, Sheldon, do I have to hold up a sarcasm sign every time I open my mouth?
    Sheldon (intrigued): You have a sarcasm sign?

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Help!! Machine Won't FMQ Backwards!?!

Could the weight of the quilt be pulling the needle to one side or front or back? Try a small practice piece and see if it is better. Maybe a larger (thicker) needle would help.
    Good luck; this is so frustrating, especially when the quilt is for someone else!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

You may want to check your feed dog area for any debris. Built up lint and possibly that little missing needle piece could be jamming things up.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Caroline T. View Post
    You may want to check your feed dog area for any debris. Built up lint and possibly that little missing needle piece could be jamming things up.
    I was thinking the same thing. Check the feed dogs and any other moving parts below the machine bed.
    *~* Myrna *~*
    *~* Quilters lead pieceful lives *~*

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Since it is only happening when you go backwards it is probably an issue with the thread mechanics bending the needle just enough that the thread is not catching. Recommended solution is to up your needle size and switch to a top stitch needle. If you are currently using a 90/14 increase to a 100/16. If you can't quickly get your hands on a top stitch needle then you can use a Jean Needle. Its eye construction is closely similar to a top stitch needle.

Good luck.
    Stash Treasure Acquisitions Beyond Life Expectancy. My stash keeps me STABLE, oh yeah.... and dark chocolate.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Did you take the needle plate off & thoroughly clean the bobbin area? Are you quilting on a DSM or a table top longarm? It's possible the timing got affected.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry, I didn't explain it clearly.

When I move the quilt backwards to FMQ the stitches are fine, it's just that after about a half an inch it's like the fabric stops moving. I can move the fabric any further moving it backwards.

The quilt is supported supported on two tables. It does the same thing with a small sample piece too.
    "I'm putting together a list of 100 reasons why I am NOT relentless!" - Sue Heck, The Middle

Leonard: For God's sake, Sheldon, do I have to hold up a sarcasm sign every time I open my mouth?

Applique Angel

Post Thanks / Like

check your thread
    is thread coming off the spool evenly, no jerky
    sometimes the change of needle size can affect tension
    is the free motion foot becoming loose.
    is the feed dogs down or up? if down try setting stitch length to zero the lift feed dogs up on test patch. see what it does.

wonder where the needle bit went, hopefully its not on floor, or in machine.

good luck

Batting Beauty

Post Thanks / Like

So what happens if you raise the feed dogs (assuming you FMQ with them lowered?) and run some regular fabric through in reverse using the machines (reverse function?) Does it do the same thing? That may narrow it down.

You said, "So I changed the needle again and started FMQ again .......now when I try to move the quilt backwards thru the machine it will go a few stitches (about half an inch) and then feels like it's getting hung up on something. It seem to FMQ ok going forward and side to side."

Was it working satisfactorily before this last needle change?
    You gots to risk it to gets the biscuit-

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I think I found the problem! The needle plate had a burr in it from when I broke the needle earlier & the thread was catching on it...I filed the spot down and it seems to be FMQing okay now............or at least on my practice piece! Hoping forthebest!

Thanks for all the suggestions.