Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Rise in cotton batting prices

Why have cotton batting prices risen so dramatically in the past few months? Do you think if I wait until this fall the prices will come back down to what they were before?
    Stash Treasure Acquisitions Beyond Life Expectancy. My stash keeps me STABLE, oh yeah.... and dark chocolate.

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Rise in cotton batting prices

Tariffs on cotton imports
    TRUTH is seldom appreciated, unless you happen to agree with it. When you don't agree, you just call it rude.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I haven't noticed so much for the batting, but cotton fabrics, that's another price sticker shock.

Enjoy life and do what makes you happy. Everything else will follow.

Every day I try to do one thing that challenges my comfort zone.

Honey Bun

Post Thanks / Like

Definitely tariffs.
    I know there is strength in the differences between us. I know there is comfort, where we overlap. ~ Ani DiFranco

Batting Beauty

Post Thanks / Like

I wouldn't lay blame on the tariffs exactly. We don't know if "cotton" is hit with a tariff or not, and I doubt it is directly as an import. The threat of a tariff comes into play however. Prices are increasing gradually so if there are tariffs, but maybe with pricing limitations, the suppliers already have their butts covered. Then there's the greed thing. Tariffs? Great- here's my excuse for a price increase, and profits.

It's been a bit since we've seen costs really increasing for our hobby, but everything else has gone up. Maybe it's just time. I think a big part of it is demand. Population growth has increased demand, and supply can't keep up. There's only so much cotton out there and they are growin' and pickin' as fast as they can. Hey- and what about the increased production costs? It ain't all tariffs!
    You gots to risk it to gets the biscuit-

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I disagree with oldmanquilts on how prices generally have not gone up. Now idk if it's a tariff thing or not. But have you bought any quilting books in the last 2 years? CG rulers--they are great but jeez you have to really want/need it to shuck out that much money. Same goes for Martelli anything. And don't get me started on rotary cutting blade refills.

7. Thanks quiltingaway, SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I read today with China devaluating their currency we haven't felt a price increase because of tariffs. Maybe its because of other things that batting prices increased.

Block Queen

Post Thanks / Like

I had heard two years ago to expect the prices on cotton goods to increase. Prices around here have gotten higher and higher. That's one of the contributing factors to my LQS closing. I'm working mainly with my stash.

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

I find it funny reading this. While those of you in the US tend to complain about paying anything more than $5.99/yard of fabric we Canadians have been paying $17.99-$20.99 per meter for years now. So our currency has sucked for about three years now, but this has been going on for far longer than that. And yes, a meter is a little more than 3" longer than a yard,

11. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    Rotary Pro

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lyndaj View Post
    I find it funny reading this. While those of you in the US tend to complain about paying anything more than $5.99/yard of fabric we Canadians have been paying $17.99-$20.99 per meter for years now. So our currency has sucked for about three years now, but this has been going on for far longer than that. And yes, a meter is a little more than 3" longer than a yard,
    Did I miss something....I thought we were talking about the USA, unless a company is clearing out their warehouse, I haven't paid that $5.99 for years. Most co.'s. are around $7.99 and up, I've seen some fabrics at $12 - $14.00 a yard. Yes you pay a high price, but like you said it's Canada.
    When you have decided what you believe, what you feel must be done, have the courage to stand alone and be counted
    Eleanor Roosevelt