Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Rise in cotton batting prices

Quote Originally Posted by ktdid View Post
    Did I miss something....I thought we were talking about the USA, unless a company is clearing out their warehouse, I haven't paid that $5.99 for years. Most co.'s. are around $7.99 and up, I've seen some fabrics at $12 - $14.00 a yard. Yes you pay a high price, but like you said it's Canada.
    You shop in all the wrong places. I still seldom pay more than 5.99, and often less.
    TRUTH is seldom appreciated, unless you happen to agree with it. When you don't agree, you just call it rude.

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Most local quilt stores near me charge around $12-14 (or $13-15 for digital) for a yard of fabric. Online shops tend to be about $11-12 a yard for cotton prints. Don't get me wrong, I love it when I can find a bargain for $5/yd (like MSQC's physical stores' clearance sections), but most clearance sales seem to be about $7-8/yd at best.

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Marshals fabrics online are quality cotton and much cheaper. Kona cotton here and elsewhere is 5.89-5.99
    TRUTH is seldom appreciated, unless you happen to agree with it. When you don't agree, you just call it rude.

4. Thanks sydneybean thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Cotton prices have not gone up, just ask the farmers?! Bumper crop years for a few years now. The fact we ship our cotton to other countries to process into cloth, then ship it back to its country of origin, Then pay the unions twice to load and unload twice.... that is why cloth is so expensive. Also the cotton gins require lots of water and power. It boils down to petroleum and shipping to a very large footprint.
    Blogging ahead.....research in quilting and sewing with a dab of cooking/recipes too.

https://myquiltprojects.wordpress.com/

https://thecookbookproject.wordpress.com/

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I have noticed the price of batting. I need a new roll. I bought mine from Joann's in 2012 and paid 100$ now you can't use coupons and they don't offer warm and natural rolls. Now it's 200$, our hobby / craft is one of the most expensixe. I take it in strides.. embroidery thread really!! I paid 250$ for my start up kit. I love it so I sacrifice to enjoy quilting!

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

I just got a couple rolls at Joanns sale. I heard they were going to exclusively sell their own brand of batting, and were going to sell off all the other brands they have. I think this will also allow them to control prices . . . more price game playing, which I dislike.
    I normally buy one, but this time I bought 2. This should last me a year or more, so I will have time to find another sale before I need it. I buy most of my fabric at the LQS.