Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

UN-Biased

Post Thanks / Like

Default First Time Cutting Backing

I have extra wide fabric for my backing. I need to cut it with the extra allowance for the longarmer. Do I just lay the quilt top on top and just cut around?

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: First Time Cutting Backing

You need to leave 4" of the backing on all sides of the top so it's bigger and trim it down later.
    pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Ask your longarm person if she'll cut it down for you (she might even be willing to show you how to do it). She may charge you a minimal fee for this, but in the long run you will learn the process to get the best use out of your wide backing and she will have less potential problems loading the fabric on the frame (resulting in a backing that you will be happy with).

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Just to add to both good responses you’ve received so far. I have found that many times wide backing is not cut on straight of grain. For that reason I would not place my top on it and trim around. I like to load mine on the longarm with the selvage on the leader, so I start with tearing one end first to get straight of grain. If you end up with a bit more than 4 inches extra on each side, your longarmer may like that even if not required. Best to have a conversation

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

First of all, ask your longarmer how much fabric she needs for the backing. Some require anywhere from 4-8" all the way around. No, do not lay your quilt top on the fabric & cut around it. You'll need to do the math to get it figured out.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Ask your long armer, I just take the wide backing to her and she does her magic.
    Katrina

“Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.”
    ― Maya Angelou

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

If it is monstrously extra wide, I do trim my wide backing. When I am using wide backing on a lap quilt, I cut off extra width, leaving at least 4" on all sides. The length doesn't need to be trimmed till the quilt is quilted. It is scary to get to the end of a quilt and find you are 1" short in backing!