Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default I Switched to a Different Browser Today

Yesterday I inadvertently installed a premium upgrade (which would cost $59./yr.), not an "update", to my Malwarebytes scan (which is free). I did not know how to get rid of it. So off to our senior center's computer lab I went this afternoon. I worked with a coach for 2 hrs. We uninstalled the new version of MWB as well as the old one, then reinstalled the free version.

I told the coach about the problems I'd had with my e-mail on Internet Explorer. He mentioned I really should quit using Internet Explorer. I complained about all the cookies I get when using Google Chrome. He suggested Firefox & adding on duckduckgo, which eliminates Google tracking all your activity. So that's what we did. He showed me how to bookmark my favorite web sites. It's going to take a while to enter all those separately. I have a long list of Favorites in IE. Several I use daily, but others are only occasional use, but I still want that quick link. So I have my work cut out for me to get that all set up.

We also discussed some of the changes coming up with MS support ending in Jan. for Windows 7. I'm already keeping my eyes open for a good sale. Another thing I need to do is download my files to an external hard drive or flash drives. I probably will need help with that till I learn how to do it. Many of the hard drives now are just small units. So that's more work down the road.

I know it will take some getting used to with this new system. I'm hoping my browsing will be easier, safer, & with less pop-ups, ads, & cookies. And....I may have to do it all over again when I buy a new laptop!

2. Thanks Monique, SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: I Switched to a Different Browser Today

I did that a very long time ago, along with Adblocker plus to kill almost all pop-ups.
    TRUTH is seldom appreciated, unless you happen to agree with it. When you don't agree, you just call it rude.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I switched to Firefox and haven't used Internet Explorer for years. Firefox is pretty good IMO. Wht can't you just import your bookmarks from IE? Then you won't have to type all that in manually one at a time. You should find that in the drop down list under either Bookmarks or Tools, or go to FF Help and type in how to import bookmarks.

5. Thanks sydneybean, auntstuff thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

If you make Firefox your default browser you should be given the option to import all of your existing bookmarks.
    K is for Karen .....................Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.

Before you speak,
    T - is it TRUE?
    H - is it HELPFUL?
    I - is it INSPIRING?
    N - is it NECESSARY?
    K - is it KIND?

Check my User Notes.

7. Thanks sydneybean thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Congratulations on leaving Internet Explorer!

Regarding Windows 7: have you tried upgrading to Windows 10 on your Windows 7 computer? We have a very relable desktop computer that started life with Windows 7 and now runs Windows 10 quite successfully. You may not have to buy a new computer just yet!
    Toni ... If I keep sewing long enough, will they make their own dinner?

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Toni ~ I did not want W-10 on my laptop. I heard too many horror stories of people who lost data, things didn't work right, etc. I was tired of getting pop-ups about getting 10. The last straw was when W-10 started to download on to my computer w/o my permission! One of the computer coaches had a program "Never 10" which we put on my laptop to halt all that nonsense. My laptop is 9 years old, so it's really time to get a new one anyway.

I'm gradually getting my new favorites list put on the new browser.

Designer Diva

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for sharing this info.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JCY View Post
    Toni ~ I did not want W-10 on my laptop. I heard too many horror stories of people who lost data, things didn't work right, etc. I was tired of getting pop-ups about getting 10. The last straw was when W-10 started to download on to my computer w/o my permission! One of the computer coaches had a program "Never 10" which we put on my laptop to halt all that nonsense. My laptop is 9 years old, so it's really time to get a new one anyway.

I'm gradually getting my new favorites list put on the new browser.
    Oh, I remember when you went through all that! That really was awful. Well, congratulations on getting a new computer soon. I got a new one for my business last year. It used to be really easy to move files from one to another with a special cable, but that cable doesn't work with Windows 10. I'm moving everything manually using a flash drive. It's a work in progress.
    Toni ... If I keep sewing long enough, will they make their own dinner?

Applique Angel

Post Thanks / Like

recently changed from internet explorer to Blaze, for me it was the right route to take.
    duck duck go
    apparently last month 4750 trackers have been blocked 17870 ads blocked https upgrades 2277, and all these blockages saved 19minutes of time, the paid internet lasts much longer.
    the ode to this is a speedy page load compared to ie.
    what on earth was I.E loading??

this is all recent in last month, so will share what learnt
    use or not, tis up to you.
    In last month we have been using fire fox & chrome on other computers when the internet wont work.
    it has been a steep learning curve because you only get 30 minutes to learn the browser & do what need to do, plus they were on windows 7. they upgraded last week.
    lets just say when you get used, to these modern browsers they work very similar, thank goodness.

cookies browsing history ect can also be deleted, that is a must on public open use computers.
    an antibacterial wipe is also essential to reduce germs on public use computers, after using the keyboard, it seems not everyone washes hands!

the Browser you are using will allow you to import your favourites but may call them bookmarks, if click on 3 lines under the red X that closes the browser page
    a menu should appear, click on settings further menu should be in there.

in the menu mentioned above, select 'more tools' you can clear browsing data

if use in private setting that also reduces cookies this can be assessed by left clicking on browser icon (if pinned) in taskbar (thats the long line at bottom of screen with the windows icon on left )

if you do, an upgrade to 10, would suggest taking all your data letters, favourites, pictures, music, books, off the computer, it will sort its self faster,
    I remember sorting all the computer to my needs, settings, then it downloaded an update, had to redo that again, there was something with the speakers being muted, but now you know you will be ready.

hope this helps,
    regards
    T

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Treadler ~ When I used to go to the public library for computer use (before I bought my own), I always used those wipes on the keyboard & desk area around the computer. We have several homeless people who hang around our library. Also, not everyone washes their hands after picking/blowing their nose or using the bathroom. As a nurse, I'm very germ conscious. I carry my own wipes all the time. Not all stores provide wipes for shopping carts. If no wipes are available, one can use an open plastic bag to drape over the handle.

Thanks for sharing your computer tips. I run CCleaner at least daily, & usually after every browsing session. It usually takes <30 sec. to run. It's amazing how many cookies one accumulates! I'm very pleased with the ad blocker we installed. So far, I've had no issues with Firefox, except... when I attach pics to an e-m, they load much more slowly than with Chrome or IE. If I'm going to send pics, I use Chrome.

Well, it's lunch time. I'll see what I can find to eat. My lunches lately have been rather boring.

14. Thanks 201 Treadler thanked for this post