• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SuzanneOrleansOntario
    Missouri Star
    • Aug 2015

WIP - August 2-8, 2019

Kicking off the week. It is a long weekend for my province and a few others across Canada. The weather has been hot but not as humid. I've been gardening in the mornings and finishing projects in the afternoons. I am almost done handsewing the binding on another VictorIa quilt. I need to get more batting & flannel backing for another one ready to quilt. It gives me a chance to have coffee with my GF who is the group's coordinator.

I made some jars of sweet garlic dill pickles and pickled bean, using the dill from my garden. On Monday my GF and I will make her yearly batch of dills.

image.jpg

So what's cooking in your sewing room? What projects are you working on, or is this the time of year for vacation and visiting family and friends?
    Enjoy life and do what makes you happy. Everything else will follow.
  • NancyH
    The Guild President
    • Apr 2014

Re: WIP - August 2-8, 2019

Good morning everyone, It has been very hot here in PA this week. They have been calling for Thunder storms all week, but our area has not seen any of them.

My delivery from MSQ should be here today. I ordered the backing for a quilt I am currently working on and material for two others. The one I am currently working on is a Pinwheel design made out of the Summer Breeze VI pattern. I am keeping this one for on my couch. The other two will be Christmas gifts. One pattern will be Night Sky made out of Octopus Garden. It will be for Malachi (grandson) and the second one will be Jack and Jill made out of My Imagination for Paisley (great granddaughter). Malachi will be 6 in December and Paisley will be 4 months August 20. Can't wait to get them started.
    Nancy

Comment

• Sharyn J
      Missouri Star
      • Oct 2012

Good morning! Looks like we're going to have a cooler week in the low 80's and much less humidity. That's my kind of weather.

I decided to start on my Gustav Klimpt wall hanging. Honestly, I really don't know what the heck I'm doing. I guess a little bit of this and a little bit of that with gold metallic threads. I must say that this metallic thread from Superior Threads is really nice to work with. I have to sit and "think" on each area and what to do, so this project may take me awhile to complete.
      Attached Files

Comment

• DeniseSm
        Missouri Star
        • Nov 2013

I bought a 24x42 panel and 1.5 yard of coordinating border fabric called Royal Reds by Wilmington Prints. I am trying to make them into a big throw. I managed to expand the panel to make it bigger but am still trying to decide what to do with the border. It is not a mirror symmetry print so I can't do a mitered corner. I thought wrapping the corners with a partial seam might be interesting but so far it is just weird. I will keep experimenting.
        100_5144.jpg
        Stash Treasure Acquisitions Beyond Life Expectancy. My stash keeps me STABLE, oh yeah.... and dark chocolate.

Comment

• threadbndr
          Batting Beauty
          • Jan 2017

Hi all. We are back into the unsettled weather pattern after a couple of hot and muggy weeks. There was a downpour type thunderstorm yesterday morning that caused flooding, though not in my town. Twelve inches of rain (30 cm) in just a couple of hours! The lakes are still full from the very wet spring we had, so they can't siphon off much from the rivers and that much just overwhelms the storm drains and natural creeks/streams.

On the quilting front, I need to get some blocks made before Tuesday for the Quilts of Valor my guild is doing. We are making sampler style quilts this time around, with a variety of patriotic fabrics. And I need to fill out the entry form for the quilt I'm putting in the guild show. The theme this year is 'stars', so I'm submitting the Scrappy Sister's Choice that I did last year. The green points make a nice star shape. I've shared this one with you all before, I think.

Scrappy Sisters Choice front small.jpg

Comment

• DeniseSm
            Missouri Star
            • Nov 2013

I have finished the light and dark test blocks for Jenny Diamonds Pavers tutorial. I love how this little touch of sashing adds so much movement to the quilt blocks.
            100_5154.JPG

I barely have enough of the cream border fabric if I don't make any cutting mistakes. No pressure!

I will do the black border sashing blocks first to gain confidence. If I make a mistake I have extra black fabric.
            Stash Treasure Acquisitions Beyond Life Expectancy. My stash keeps me STABLE, oh yeah.... and dark chocolate.

Comment

• Granny Judy
              Missouri Star
              • Apr 2011

17 blocks 2018 orphans.jpg
              original size blocks are 6.5

lynn met julie 6.5 blocks.jpg

I introduced some orphan blocks t0 each other this week,, Lynn Met Julie and I got 17 large blocks for a quilt that will be donated to the abuse center. Lynn donated all the bow tie blocks. the rest are Julies.
              Judy

Click HERE to find me and My imagination
              :icon_wave:

Comment

• SuzanneOrleansOntario
                Missouri Star
                • Aug 2015

Originally posted by DeniseSm View Post
                I bought a 24x42 panel and 1.5 yard of coordinating border fabric called Royal Reds by Wilmington Prints. I am trying to make them into a big throw. I managed to expand the panel to make it bigger but am still trying to decide what to do with the border. It is not a mirror symmetry print so I can't do a mitered corner. I thought wrapping the corners with a partial seam might be interesting but so far it is just weird. I will keep experimenting.
                [ATTACH=CONFIG]160120[/ATTACH]
                Denise, I hope I'm not too late, as you do sew quickly. What about a large cornerstone block in the corner of the border. That way the flower stripe would end at the square. You could do some cool quilting in that block. Good luck.

Comment

• DeniseSm
                  Missouri Star
                  • Nov 2013

Originally posted by SuzanneOrleansOntario View Post
                  Denise, I hope I'm not too late, as you do sew quickly. What about a large cornerstone block in the corner of the border. That way the flower stripe would end at the square. You could do some cool quilting in that block. Good luck.
                  After much experimentation I did decide to put two red cornerstones along the same strong diagonal line formed by the two red cardinals and the large gold scroll work in the panel. I did wrap the other two corners with border print to give some movement and contrast.

Comment

• SuzanneOrleansOntario
                    Missouri Star
                    • Aug 2015

I am almost done sewing the 9patch border blocks. I may still move some of the blocks around. I took a picture in the likely event that some will drop off the wall before I see them together.

This is one for donation to Victoria quilts. The pattern, fabrics, batting and backing are provided. Sometimes I add in fabrics from my stash.

image.jpg

Comment

Working...
                    X