Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Garment Sewing Advice for a Beginner

Hi, I was taught garment sewing by a pro and I would tell you most important finish your seams. I've made quite a few items, take the extra time to sit zag edges. For example, curves instead of notches I zig zag close to the sewing line then trim to the top of the zig zag. I zig zag every loose seam on the straight to prevent fraying in the wash.

2. Thanks Beeje thanked for this post
    Applique Angel

Post Thanks / Like

There are independent pattern makers online where you print the pieces yourself and tape them together. many have at least one (if not a handful) of basics where the pattern is free so you can go through them and see if you like the way they are designed, how the instructions are to follow, etc. I personally love Patterns for Pirates and Made for Mermaids - sisters that each design patterns for families, often with blog posts to help. The blogs range from measurements (never just sew from your RTW (ready-to-wear) size) to choosing fabrics, adjustments - like adding for height or "grading" between sizes if your bust, hips, waist are not in alignment with one size, etc. It can be a pain to have to tape all the paper together, but you can avoid that by having it printed on architect sheets (I don't bother) and the benefit is that you never have to worry about "losing" a piece or damaging the paper because you can always just print it again.

Have fun with it! At 5'10" myself I love being able to lengthen things to fit me!

4. Thanks Beeje thanked for this post
    4 Patch Pro

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you so much for all this helpful info! I have put zippers in a few times (totes and such) but my patience level is severely lacking, so each time it was really frustrating. Therefore I agree that I should definitely avoid zippers at the beginning of my garment sewing adventure. I really appreciate your taking the time to share your "off the top of my head" knowledge with this newbie!

4 Patch Pro

Post Thanks / Like

5/8, 5/8, 5/8 ... I'll put a huge post-it note right on top of my sewing machine to help me remember. I can see where this would be a big problem for a quilter new to other kinds of sewing. Thank you!

4 Patch Pro

Post Thanks / Like

That sounds pretty straight-forward .... except maybe the elastic part? But I love the idea of pants, which could also be shorts or capris, and I would think even a novice could figure out how to lengthen if necessary. Thank you!

4 Patch Pro

Post Thanks / Like

Vonnie, I don't wear heels either unless absolutely nothing else works. I like to shop at Long Tally Sally because they proportion everything (all measurements, not just length of pants) for tall women, but I can't afford to buy everything there. I prefer a 36" inseam but a lot of "Tall" sizes at popular stores are only 34".

Tall women, unite!

Beginning Stitcher

Post Thanks / Like

While I've been a sewer for many years, my problem is patterns aren't petitable enough. I have great frustration adjusting today's multi sized patterns. I'm sure I'm not the only one with this issue. Good luck with your clothes sewing.
    Kathy

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ktdid View Post
    Beeje, if you just go to nancysnotions.com, you'll find everything you need. Nancy was an expert in teaching how to sew garments. That was how she started her business. You'll find books, DVD'S designed for beginners, you can also watch her on You Tube. She had an excellent book just on alterations. I believe it's still available, if not I would loan you my book.
    This is exactly what I was going to tell you about. I bought Nancy's original book on alterations, and it is like a college-level textbook. I couldn't tackle it with my limited amount of free time. Then I bought her DVD on altering patterns (purchased from nancysnotions.com) and it is so simple! I believe she made two different DVDs, one for tops and one for slacks (I don't know where skirts are discussed).

I have kind of the opposite problem from you: I'm 5'1" and very hip/leg heavy; most plus-size patterns assume you have a bust and a belly with slender legs … definitely not my body shape. So my next adventure in sewing will be modifying patterns.

From 201 Treadler: the golden rule -Dressmakers-Lutterloh-Systems

youtube showing how it works https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=617wqrH87gQ
    I have this system and have used it a few times. If you can find styles you like, it's a fabulous system. Once again, however, they assume that plus-size women have a bust—which I don't. So the next time I use my Lutterloh, I'm going to combine it with Nancy's alterations DVD and make something that fits my unusual proportions.

I also recommend online classes on Lutterloh patterns from https://www.dressmaking.co.nz/
    I took a live class from Sonja when she was in the US, and she's quite good. If you want to buy something from them, it's usually a little cheaper because of the exchange rate. And you would be helping a lovely small-family business.

Wishing you the best of luck in this new aspect of sewing. Please keep us informed about what you do and how your garments turn out!
    Toni ... If I keep sewing long enough, will they make their own dinner?

Honey Bun

Post Thanks / Like

I am where you are.. intermediate quilter, but never learned to make clothing. I took my first in person class this past weekend to make pants. Everyone but me had made clothes before. The instructor told me there wasn't much difference and showed me about grain lines and then told me to go. I just followed along with the instruction and it really wasn't that much different than piecing a quilt.. but yes to 5/8 on the seams!!!

A couple places I started looking at before I took my class that have patterns:
    https://closetcasepatterns.com/
    https://helenscloset.ca/
    https://shopwiksten.com/
    https://shop.100actsofsewing.com/

I will admit the only thing I have made are those pants last weekend, but that one class has me thinking about buying patterns from these links.. and there was a place online you can send them to be printed that they talked about over and over
    https://www.pdfplotting.com/

that way you have a big pattern you don't have to tape together. Less time taping more time sewing.

OK those are my tips from a person who is in the same boat as you. Enjoy sewing your new wardrobe!!!
    I know there is strength in the differences between us. I know there is comfort, where we overlap. ~ Ani DiFranco